Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DomesticGoddess View Post
Boy do the following recipes sound quite delish! I have never cooked a brisket, but if and when I do, I'll be keeping these recipes in mind.
just remember to cook it slow on a cool oven if doing one in the oven. Cooked right brisket is a winner every time, but it has to be cooked right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,265,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
We slow-cook our brisket over night at about 250 degrees in a turkey roasting pan. We found the most wonderful sauce called Gold Buckle Brisket marinade, which we soak the brisket in all day before putting it in the oven. It's the best brisket ever!
That is some expensive marinade! It must be good. I have been wanting to try cooking a brisket. Down here, BBQ is pork mainly and I cook a Boston butt. I keep hearing from my Texas friends how wonderful a brisket is "done right".

Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,817,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
That is some expensive marinade! It must be good. I have been wanting to try cooking a brisket. Down here, BBQ is pork mainly and I cook a Boston butt. I keep hearing from my Texas friends how wonderful a brisket is "done right".
I'm also in Dixie. I still prefer my low-and-slow BBQ pork butt over beef brisket any day.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 AM

19,965 posts, read 30,115,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I love brisket, but always considered it to be winter comfort food, maybe because it's not always available year round at my local grocery store. I'm in the process of planning my mother's 90th birthday party, and the caterer suggested using brisket as the beef dish. I may have to reconsider my veto after reading this thread.
if you don't see fresh brisket,,,ask the butchers...they can order it for you and if they don't normally sell it,,,they may give you a hell of a deal.. (brand new sale)

I have customers that will buy a 100 lbs at a time and customers that will buy 4lbs for special orders.

independent stores have price flexibility,,,chain stores do not

corned beef has always sold well up this way ...more than fresh brisket,,,
but fresh briskets are catching on- much like the pork butt

Old 08-18-2016, 09:39 AM

Would a crock pot be a good way to cook a brisket, or would I get more flavor by oven roasting?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,446,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Would a crock pot be a good way to cook a brisket, or would I get more flavor by oven roasting?
I'm not a crock pot fan, Kats, but brisket is definitely something you can do in one.

Brisket "done right" to a Texan would be made in a smoker.

I'm a Texifornian, so I make mine in the oven.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,787,669 times
My niece had brisket sliders at her wedding reception. They were a big hit.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:47 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,149,662 times
My BF makes a homemade dry bbq rub that I've been using on my brisket when I make them. The only thing I add to his rub is some instant coffee, the Via from SBux, and only a half package. I then put the brisket in a glass lined dish lined with foil, heavily rub the seasoning all over, and then stud it all over with cloves of garlic. I do NOT add any liquid. I put it in the oven for 1 hour on 350, uncovered. After an hour I lower the temp to 300 and cover the brisket with foil (a disposable aluminum pan is great for this, fits right over the glass dish) and let it cook covered for 2 hours. I then lower the temperature down to 250 and cook it for the rest of the time at this temperature, still covered.

Falls apart and delicious. Won't make it any other way since I tried this about a year ago.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 PM

I have GOT to get me a brisket now!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,149,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
My BF makes a homemade dry bbq rub that I've been using on my brisket when I make them. The only thing I add to his rub is some instant coffee, the Via from SBux, and only a half package. I then put the brisket in a glass lined dish lined with foil, heavily rub the seasoning all over, and then stud it all over with cloves of garlic. I do NOT add any liquid. I put it in the oven for 1 hour on 350, uncovered. After an hour I lower the temp to 300 and cover the brisket with foil (a disposable aluminum pan is great for this, fits right over the glass dish) and let it cook covered for 2 hours. I then lower the temperature down to 250 and cook it for the rest of the time at this temperature, still covered.

Falls apart and delicious. Won't make it any other way since I tried this about a year ago.

Whoopsie! I stud it first with the garlic, THEN rub the rub all over it.

Wish I could tell you what was in his rub. Even I don't know the recipe, but at least he keeps me wells supplied!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink