Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,564,796 times

Advertisements

Has this been said yet?

A frozen dinner.

Not sure what they're called anymore - frozen entree? They take up two and a half aisles in the frozen section in my grocery store, more space than meat/fish and nearly as much space as fruit/veggies.

Most have chicken and/or pasta as their main ingredients. And carrot slices.

Don't ask me how I know .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,532,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
hamburger is originally from german immigrants. the reason why it's not stated as german food is because many german immigrants let go their german roots after the 3rd reich.. and wanted no association with what was going on in europe, as a function of german racism in america. there are many ground meat pattie type dishes in their heritage, also most of east europe. hamburger = hamburg. frankfurter = frankfurt. as with sausages, etc.

this was during the 1800 prussian emigration to USA.
Maybe, maybe not. There are many claims to it's invention, they almost all come from America, and they certainly aren't all from German immigrants. It's not stated as a German food is because it is an American food.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,586,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
The notorious creamed tuna and peas casserole. The very mention strikes fear in Americans of a certain age.

Not sure if it was on the side of the can of peas, or if it was another Good Housekeeping Magazine abomination....
I don't fear it--I like it! Campbell's has a version using their cream of mushroom soup. My mom used to make this for Sunday dinners with extended family. My little nephew very clearly stated, "I hate tuna casserole." You know I think a good chunk of what most of us think of as classic American meals was invented by either Campbell's or Kraft.

Even though casserole is a French word, I think of casseroles as standard American fare. Dump an affordable type of meat (ground beef, tuna, etc.) in with a canned or frozen vegetable, type of pasta, smother in cheese or a cream-of-X soup, top with bread crumbs, and bake. Maybe add eggs as a binder and to make it more filling.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:20 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Has this been said yet?

A frozen dinner.

Not sure what they're called anymore - frozen entree? They take up two and a half aisles in the frozen section in my grocery store, more space than meat/fish and nearly as much space as fruit/veggies.

Most have chicken and/or pasta as their main ingredients. And carrot slices.

Don't ask me how I know .
yep, I think they are called frozen entrees, we called the TV dinners back in the early 60s. I am sure they originated in America, but probably are not what most think of as "classic America" We rarely if ever buy them, but I know a lot of people do, so they must not be awful. I did get them when our kids were super little (in the 60s) and spoiled brat was traveling. To the kids they were a treat!

Old 05-31-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Just to clarify, I'm curious about meals and foods modern Americans currently eat, or that your mom or grandmother made.
I'm not talking about foods the Pilgrims ate.
Just to add to your comment, I understand that fried chicken we eat today is actually a variation on a dish originating in Africa.
Meatloaf came from the devil himself, I'm sure.

I got a kick out of all the regional foods that have been listed.
Oh there is a huge difference for many of us, especially spoiled brat. His mom fixed over cooked, under seasoned food. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything like what we eat and they ate a lot more. Always desserts, we rarely have dessert unless we have company. They didn't know what grilling meant and they didn't use cheese, herbs or anything like that.

typical dinner at his house: well done roast beef; corn on the cob, baked potatoes; jello salad and a veggie;
growing up for me: rare beef: green salad or what mom and dad called combination salad: fresh veggies, not over cooked and probably rice.

I guess this isn't all that much different than we have, but we use more spices and eat more ethnic foods than we ever had growing up.

When we talk about classic American food we have to remember we are all immigrants from somewhere, thus our meals originated in another country. We have simply changed the way they are served. Most of us eat more vegetables and less meat.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:57 AM

4,681 posts, read 3,448,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh there is a huge difference for many of us, especially spoiled brat. His mom fixed over cooked, under seasoned food. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything like what we eat and they ate a lot more. Always desserts, we rarely have dessert unless we have company. They didn't know what grilling meant and they didn't use cheese, herbs or anything like that.

typical dinner at his house: well done roast beef; corn on the cob, baked potatoes; jello salad and a veggie;
growing up for me: rare beef: green salad or what mom and dad called combination salad: fresh veggies, not over cooked and probably rice.

I guess this isn't all that much different than we have, but we use more spices and eat more ethnic foods than we ever had growing up.

When we talk about classic American food we have to remember we are all immigrants from somewhere, thus our meals originated in another country. We have simply changed the way they are served. Most of us eat more vegetables and less meat.
I think, really, this is the truth. We are a nation of immigrants so our classic food does not mean exclusively served or originated here.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,758,824 times
Chicken a la King?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,934,106 times
Here's a classic American meal most people don't recognize as American: chop suey with a fortune cookie for dessert. Both were invented here!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,243,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Here's a classic American meal most people don't recognize as American: chop suey with a fortune cookie for dessert. Both were invented here!
so is chicken parmigiana. though obviously italian inspired and originally made by italian immigrants, it was created here. that dish doesn't exist in italy.

same goes for various chinese american dishes.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
so is chicken parmigiana. though obviously italian inspired and originally made by italian immigrants, it was created here. that dish doesn't exist in italy.

same goes for various chinese american dishes.
Here are a couple more: Waldorf Salad; Cobb salad and Caesar Salad. I am sure there are many: we just don't think about where most of our meals and dishes originated. Many of our Mexican dishes are really American and what about things like: lettuce rolls served in some Chinese restaurants now? I have no idea if the originated in China, but doubt they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink