Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My local grocery store was having a huge sale on pork ribs ... 99 cents a pound. Of course I stocked up (love my new freezer! ). The first few times I made them, I just used barbecue sauce, and they were good, but I think I have had bbq'd meat/poultry too much lately so I want to try something different.

Was thinking of cooking them in my crock pot again BUT with fajita seasoning. After 8 hours on low, the meat falls off the bone, so I would just shred it. I'd cook the peppers and onions on the stovetop (I like them pretty crisp). I THINK I could freeze some pork portions for when I get a craving for pork fajitas again.

Most fajita recipes call for other cuts of pork (or beef or whatever), but I don't know why the pork rib meat wouldn't work, unless I am missing something (am I?).

So, do you think this could work for pork fajitas? And does anyone have another kind of sauce that I could make that goes well with pork ribs, or just another recipe for pork ribs (not bbq), preferably in the crock pot? As some of you know, I am generous with reps to anyone who at least tries to be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 08:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Put a rub on the ribs, pour some apple cider (or apple juice) in the crockpot, place the ribs in the crockpot and cook them as you would a pork roast. Pull the meat off the bones and crisp it up on the stovetop.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Put a rub on the ribs, pour some apple cider (or apple juice) in the crockpot, place the ribs in the crockpot and cook them as you would a pork roast. Pull the meat off the bones and crisp it up on the stovetop.
Dirt Grinder, thanks for posting, but of course I have questions: What kind of rub? And why apple cider/apple juice? What would this end up tasting like? (That is, is there a name for this dish or is it just something you've done that's tasted good? )

Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hi, all. My local grocery store was having a huge sale on pork ribs ... 99 cents a pound. Of course I stocked up (love my new freezer! ). The first few times I made them, I just used barbecue sauce, and they were good, but I think I have had bbq'd meat/poultry too much lately so I want to try something different.

Personally, I don't like preparing meat in a slow cooker.

Having said that, I would take some good sauerkraut, preferably from Bavaria. I would season it with an apple cider, caraway seeds or some Reisling wine. and cook the pork directly in with the sauerkraut.

I might be tempted to brown the ribs in the oven prior to the slow cooker. I would NOT parboil them as too many of my friends do unless I was going for some pork stock.

If sauerkraut is not your cup of tea, I guess that you could use a Bavarian red cabbage. The only reason I asm somewhat hesitant about that is that I do not want my ribe coming out with a pink yiny from the red beets and the red cabbage.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Dirt Grinder, thanks for posting, but of course I have questions: What kind of rub? And why apple cider/apple juice? What would this end up tasting like? (That is, is there a name for this dish or is it just something you've done that's tasted good? )
I make a rub for my BBQ using paprika, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cumin, and ground coriander. I spray the ribs with a mixture of apple cider and apple cider vinegar while they are cooking in the BBQ pit at 225°F.

I've cooked cider braised pork shoulder using the same basic recipe, and it has turned out great. It don't see any reason it won't work the same for ribs. I've cooked ribs in the crockpot with salt, pepper, chicken stock, an onion and some garlic, and they've turned out pretty tasty.

Oh, to answer your question - pork and apples pair well.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Sliced onions, 24 oz Dr Pepper, and a small can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

Cook till the meat falls off.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:55 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:

Was thinking of cooking them in my crock pot again BUT with fajita seasoning. After 8 hours on low, the meat falls off the bone, so I would just shred it. I'd cook the peppers and onions on the stovetop (I like them pretty crisp). I THINK I could freeze some pork portions for when I get a craving for pork fajitas again.

Most fajita recipes call for other cuts of pork (or beef or whatever), but I don't know why the pork rib meat wouldn't work, unless I am missing something (am I?).

So, do you think this could work for pork fajitas? And does anyone have another kind of sauce that I could make that goes well with pork ribs, or just another recipe for pork ribs (not bbq), preferably in the crock pot? As some of you know, I am generous with reps to anyone who at least tries to be helpful!

I bought a bunch of those too

buy this butcher block rib sauce if you like the Chinese flavored ribs....
this is one of my favs..
there's over 150 stores in maine that buy this by the gallons and marinate for Chinese pork ribs - it is very good!!

you can marinate a couple hours before grilling/baking or if you do use a slow cooker ..finish on the grill....brush the sauce on after the crock pot
or finish in oven with sauce on them..

also on my latest kick ive been cooking with general tso's sauce (in the same section as soy sauce at Hannaford- this is very good

here's a couple more suggestions if tired of plain old bbq sauce

mix bbq sauce with tomato sauce

mix bbq sauce with A-1 sauce

mix BBq sauce with ketchup and a small amount of maple syrup

use a steak-house seasoning that you might on beef

go to Amodio's pilot seasoning website ....they have many rubs and seasonings out of ct.

here is a pic of the butcher block rib sauce , Hannaford sells this as does many independents (iga's )

Click image for larger version

Name:	butcherblock rib.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	170488

store in your cupboard ,,,,its fairly thick,,,,and will harden if you put in fridge

Old 06-02-2016, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

sounds great to me; we are not huge bbq sauce users so we, normally try other forms of moisture. I like the idea you are using, or I will just use a tart type of sauce; I love to combine a little mustard, lemon juice, wine and a few seasonings. We are going to do just that this weekend only I think spoiled brat is going to smoke ours. I will have to try your version sometime.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I make this with beef: Slow-Cooker Asian Beef | Make Ahead Mondays I wonder if it would be good with pork also. I think it would. I always sub brown sugar for the honey in the recipe, makes it taste better.

Pork tacos taste good to me but I like carnitas more than fajitas. There are different recipes for the spices. I usually use a blend of chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and a little bit of cinnamon. Cook it on low all day until the meat is easy to shred with a fork. Then put the cooked, shredded meat under the broiler for a few minutes to get the crispy bits. When we have carnitas, I usually make tomatillo salsa and we also have a bitter, crumbly Mexican cheese (different kinds depending on whether my friend has brought some back from her mom's ranch in Mexico or if I have to get it from the grocery store). Besides tacos, you can use carnitas in quesadillas, enchiladas, casseroles, on a taco salad, etc.

Pork is also great in tamales. Tamales are a lot of work, so it's better to make a bunch and freeze the extras. It's also better to have a few people working on the tamales so it's not as much work

When I make chicken or beef fajitas, I marinate the meat in beer and lime juice along with the fajita seasonings and usually some chili paste. Orange juice goes well with pork, so maybe a beer and orange juice marinade would be tasty.

Besides pork ribs, sometimes the grocery stores will have pork picnic or boston butt on sale pretty cheap. The boston butt has a lot of meat compared to bones and less fat than the pork picnic, usually. The pork picnic comes with skin and my kids freak out when they see it, so if I buy that, I take the skin off before they see it. You end up with a lot more waste with the pork picnic, so if I see pork picnic for 99 cents a pound and boston butt for 1.49 a pound, I always go with the boston butt because it comes out a better deal.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

I no longer eat meat, but my mother-in-law used to make ribs with sauerkraut, apples, and onions. In the crockpot, they'd be awesome, I bet.

(I'm posting with the POV that you've already got the ribs, the pig's already been slaughtered, and so you might as well eat them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink