Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:28 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times

Advertisements

Mine are basically all liquids:

-OJ. Love it. WAY too much sugar-- even the reduced sugar kind. Runs straight through me.

-Any soda that is dark gives me the worst heartburn ever. Fortunately, I was never a huge soda drinker, so it was easy to cut it out completely.

-I absolutely cannot drink coffee with anything in it (sugar, cream). Unless I want to spend quality time in the restroom. Black coffee seems to be gentler on my stomach, but only about a cup or less a day.

-I don't drink alcohol anymore. I have never had a problem with it, but there are several women in my family who are/were alcoholics, so I chose to just give it up. I don't miss it.

My father and grandfather both had/have diabetes. My levels were ok a couple of months ago, but I have definitely made a conscious effort to eliminate a lot of carbs from my diet in a sort of preemptive move. I've not ever been a big sweets eater, but I do love that bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:29 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I'm turning 69 this year and i have to say I eat pretty much the way I always did except that I hardly drink alchohol anymore.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:39 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Possible to develop lactose intolerance late in life? I have a lot more trouble with dairy products than I used to for sure, to the point that I try to eat them only on my days off, out of consideration for my co-workers.
Yes it is. This has happened to me as well.

I've developed some digestion issues over the past few years and one thing that has helped a lot is taking digestive enzymes with each meal. These won't help every type of GI problem, but they do help you digest food better, IME

I've had good results with these: Source Naturals, Daily Essential Enzymes, 500 mg, 240 Capsules - iHerb.com

Old 06-21-2016, 12:14 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Unfortunately for my ever expanding senior waistline I can still eat anything it seems, although I shouldn't. The spicier the better since that can perk up low fat offerings, I've been going vegetarian for most meals & all this week & mexican/indian/mediterranean spicing helps to keep it satisfying.

Isn't there a song "God Bless the Chile"?

But I have noticed in recent years if I have ice cream after dinner I get gastric rumblings or more, perhaps I am getting lactose intolerant... I only have skim milk with my morning coffee for my only other lactose fix & that's ok. Keeps me from eating ice cream at night though & I guess that's a good thing

Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM

274 posts, read 252,709 times
I would have to say dill pickle spears. Used to love 'em but they give me heartburn now. A cold cut sandwich isn't quite right without one!

Old 06-21-2016, 01:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I wish I could eat the way I did when I was a teenager. I worked on the family farm, and burned it all off.
I don't have any indigestion problems, unless it's eating a LOT late at night and then going to bed. But my issue is sugar/carbs, because of weight issues. A lot of people say it, but for me it's true. I look at food and get fat. Last weekend we went to visit friends, so I didn't watch what I ate. I gained 7 pounds. Honest to God, 7 pounds in a weekend. Luckily I took it all off in 4 days, but still. THAT SUCKS!
I gave up sugar years ago and since then if I DO eat it, I get a stomach ache. AND I'll have a blood sugar dive later on, usually the next day before I've eaten anything. My parents were both diabetic, so I'm not surprised.
I guess I shouldn't complain, my husband found out he has Celiac Disease, so no bread nor beer for him.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Alright, I'm over 40. Time catches us all, and I have a bit more gastronomic sensitivity than in previous decades.

So what do you wish you could have, but really can't anymore: 1). Want, but won't, due to common sense. Too rich or unhealthy to eat much, if-any 2) Can't. Doesn't agree with your body and/or a good night's sleep.

Mine is Coney dogs. These may be a Midwest or back East thing, I grew up in Detroit: home of the Greek Coney Dog! One example: a large hot dog or sausage, preferably spicy, in a big bun (roll, really). Smothered with chili, fresh white onions (no other kind will do), shredded cheddar, and a dollop of sour cream. Served with a side of Ruffles potato chips and Pepsi.

A real gut-buster, but man: if you grew up where I did, nothing screams "Sunday doubleheader baseball at Tiger Stadium" ...like a Coney dog, chips, and soda!

(I tried to build one of these last night, minus the chili. Did NOT sit well with me, can we say "dyspepsia" late evening? Hence the story/question).

What's your weak spot, or dish of days gone by?
Coffee

Old 06-21-2016, 01:52 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Cucumbers, celery and peppers except for the sweet peppers at Subway they don't bother my stomach.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:00 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I hate to even think about it because the list is so long. It would be easier to list what I can eat.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:10 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Fried foods and chocolate. Certain spices that I can't always identify. The last time I had chili it about killed me, but I normally do fine with chili. I think the culprit is cayenne, but not sure. Green pepper too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink