Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times

Advertisements

At 42, I can't do dairy before bed without "dying" of stomach cramps! Now, maybe even greasy food as well - my nephew brought me some fast food corned beef (which was all fat and no meat that I could see), and after trying a few bites, I gave it up as a lost cause and threw the container in the garbage. I had stomach pains later last night and I know it had to be that greasy piece of corned fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
I like green lima beans, dressed up with some salt, pepper and butter. But I won't be eating them anymore.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:16 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
This thread appears right above a thread about the "Yulin dog meat festival".

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
At 42, I can't do dairy before bed without "dying" of stomach cramps! Now, maybe even greasy food as well - my nephew brought me some fast food corned beef (which was all fat and no meat that I could see), and after trying a few bites, I gave it up as a lost cause and threw the container in the garbage. I had stomach pains later last night and I know it had to be that greasy piece of corned fat.
I can't drink milk--not that I want to--but I tolerate half and half and have no problem with heavy cream. I can't drink coffee unless I use cream. I guess it slows down the caffeine assault and tempers the acid. I'm not sure, but it works.

After three years without coffee, I was desperate. I didn't have too many problems giving up soda, spicy food, raw onions or tomato sauce, but when it went further, I had to start planning and figuring things out.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
I can eat any other vegetable without gastric distress, but if I eat spinach (either raw or cooked), I wind up with an incredible amount of gas, and this makes me very uncomfortable. In my younger days, I was able to eat spinach without any undesirable effects, but for the past 10 years or so, I have had to remove spinach from my shopping list, and I have to be very careful to avoid it when dining out..

Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,250,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm 72 and can happily eat anything but onions which started to bother me a couple of years ago; the closely related scallions have always given me indigestion.

Also 72 and can eat anything. Period.

Alcohol though causes sleep problems. Drop off right away but 3-4 hrs. later awaken to feelings of anxiety, heart racing, and inability to resume sleep. Never used to be like that.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:23 PM

238 posts, read 315,668 times
At 45, I'm noticing any food with red sauces is giving me heartburn. I used to love the Chef Boyardee meals; I pass them up now. And pasta with any red sauce, I try to avoid as much as possible.

I had some lasagna last night. Yup, had heartburn a couple of hours later.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
I put on weight so easily now that I'm practically down to celery and water, but that was long after I had to cut out dairy and a dozen other foods because of allergies.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:53 PM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
I'm 48 and I haven't found anything I can't eat yet (as an example I teach middle school math in somewhat of an "inner city" area and the kids love Takis and are amazed at how much this "ole gringo" can eat them and how much I like them....I remember a class when for fun they introduced them to me thinking I know nothing about them), but in regards to a past comment, despite the NY sounding name, "Coney dogs" are strictly a Midwest thing. I am from the NYC area and I had never heard of them until a friend who relocated here from Ohio told me about them (he mistook Nathan's for "Coney dogs") and I looked it up.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:06 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I am 67 and have trouble digesting onions, cruciferous vegetables and legumes such as peas, lentils and beans. They give me gas and bloating. So does dairy except in small amounts. Too much fat gives me heartburn, and too many carbohydrates also give me gas and bloating. The amount I can tolerate without symptoms has gotten smaller and smaller over the years.

Sometimes the abdominal discomfort doesn't hit me until hours later, though, so I have to be careful not to have any of these foods within six hours of bedtime or I will have trouble sleeping because the bloating is so uncomfortable.

What's really annoying about it is that the foods we're supposed to eat because they're good for us are the same ones that cause the digestive problems!

One thing that seems to help prevent problems for me is drinking mint tea after a meal. I've had mixed results with digestive enzymes such as Beano. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink