Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times

Advertisements

Pizza with anchovies and jalapenos.

It's a wonderful taste going in, but 30 minutes or less afterwards, my tummy is certainly volcanic!

Now, I can eat anchovies alone or in other mixtures without a problem. I use them 2-3 times a week, either from the can or in paste. I don't have a problem with hot spices, cayenne being the one I use the most. I eat nachos from time to time.

But on a pizza, in the fish, in the sliced pepper, and its my tummy saying, "Oh, what have you done to me?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
[quote=TracySam;44493288]I'm almost 47, and it's beginning to hit me too.

I'm going to have to be one of those old people who goes to restaurants at 5:00.

LOL I've been one of "those old people" for 20 years or so. I worked in health care and I had to eat when my patients had dinner at around 5 or 530 or risk being too busy to eat.

It's all in what you get used to and besides, eating at 5 in the restaurants is nice. There's hardly anyone there.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Alright, I'm over 40. Time catches us all, and I have a bit more gastronomic sensitivity than in previous decades.

So what do you wish you could have, but really can't anymore: 1). Want, but won't, due to common sense. Too rich or unhealthy to eat much, if-any 2) Can't. Doesn't agree with your body and/or a good night's sleep.

Mine is Coney dogs. These may be a Midwest or back East thing, I grew up in Detroit: home of the Greek Coney Dog! One example: a large hot dog or sausage, preferably spicy, in a big bun (roll, really). Smothered with chili, fresh white onions (no other kind will do), shredded cheddar, and a dollop of sour cream. Served with a side of Ruffles potato chips and Pepsi.

A real gut-buster, but man: if you grew up where I did, nothing screams "Sunday doubleheader baseball at Tiger Stadium" ...like a Coney dog, chips, and soda!

(I tried to build one of these last night, minus the chili. Did NOT sit well with me, can we say "dyspepsia" late evening? Hence the story/question).

What's your weak spot, or dish of days gone by?
Nothing really, but I use generic Tagament to stop issues before they hit....

Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,512,640 times
I can still eat everything but I have to be careful of timing now. I can't have citrus, grapefruit or chocolate right before bed or I get unpleasant acid reflux and weird dreams about smells and things in my system.

I can still eat Jalapeno peppers but if I eat that AND a meal of sauerkraut, sausage and beer AND another meal of something harsh like a steak within 2 days of each other I will get some slight upset.

I got some slight upset too when I went to Beast Feast and ate something like 6 kinds of pig/boar, 20 types of birds in a stew, bison, beef, snake, and who knows what else. The next year I just skipped the bird stew.

Anyway I am eating vegetarian more for reasons of conscience.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:35 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,860 times
I found out last summer that I have a beef allergy. It is so disappointing considering the fact that I love me some steak or burgers from time to time! I had my mother allergy tested, and her result came back negative for a beef allergy, so it doesn't run in my family. Odd stuff, huh?

Other than beef, heavily fried and/or greasy foods do not sit well with me.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:29 PM

32,956 posts, read 36,419,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Oysters are exquisite. I only ate them once in my life. But I have a huge fear of food poisoning/vomiting. So I cannot gamble with my stomach. They do say that oysters are the foods that are most likely to give you food poisoning, if I'm not mistaken.
I've never had a problem with them. I've bravely eaten raw oysters about 4 times a year for decades, and never become ill. Don't necessarily do what I do, but it's probably not going to kill you.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
Don't care for ice-cream, milk-shakes, sodas, juice, fluffy-deserts or runny pie.

But I do love good donuts, cake, chocolate, fudge and rich pastries. That sugar though, man, it kicks my butt......achy, headaches, sluggish and just an overall yucky feeling. Now I do my best to avoid sugar.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:20 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,491,439 times
No problems. I eat whatever I want.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
fiber bars...

someone bought me some fiber bars,,,i thought they were protein bars,,,,, and had 3 of them
within an hour my stomach in rumbling,,, and not a good rumble

never again,,i make sure to read the dietary fiber on the ingredient list

Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM

129 posts, read 78,431 times
Tofu, edamame -- anything soy. Not easy to avoid because it is listed as an ingredient in almost everything.

I generally eat whole foods and prepare meals from scratch, but sometimes it would be so convenient to grab some tofu or tempeh.

I love sushi and sashimi, and I try to remember to take coconut amigos with me to sub for soy sauce.

Soy doesn't cause stomach upset, exactly. More like an all-over bloating. Even my face gets puffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink