Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 05:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You would need a thermometer, but don't you have one for cooking meat? I don't strain my yogurt, and you could stir it with a spoon instead. The whisk is just more efficient.

If you only need yogurt for one person, then it probably does make a lot more sense to buy yogurt. I use a lot because I've got teenagers and they're big on yogurt and smoothies and yogurt popsicles. Before I started making yogurt I was spending about $15/week on yogurt and popsicles.
I live on the edge when I cook meat. Really, though, I don't make a lot of meat, and a lot of it is in the crockpot anyway, so that's cooked to within an inch of its life.

Wow! $15/week! Good for you for finding an alternative. Truthfully, I can easily go months without eating yogurt, then I'll go on a little yogurt frenzy, and then months of nothing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I live on the edge when I cook meat. Really, though, I don't make a lot of meat, and a lot of it is in the crockpot anyway, so that's cooked to within an inch of its life.

Wow! $15/week! Good for you for finding an alternative. Truthfully, I can easily go months without eating yogurt, then I'll go on a little yogurt frenzy, and then months of nothing again.
My dad was in the restaurant business, and the thermometer is one habit I picked up from him. I can't eat meat without taking its temperature first. It was such a habit for him that he used to have his thermometer in his shirt pocket when he came over for dinner

Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
My dad was in the restaurant business, and the thermometer is one habit I picked up from him. I can't eat meat without taking its temperature first. It was such a habit for him that he used to have his thermometer in his shirt pocket when he came over for dinner
Love it!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,832,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For a few bucks more, you can have the real thing. And it works on low, medium and high settings. I've been playing with this for the last month, and it's fun. It also produces some of the most flavorful meat imaginable.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-M...instapot+lux+6

Yes. But all the reviews I read indicated that, for me, the Duo or Ultra 6 qt. models would be the only Instant Pot models I'd want, and those cost more than that Lux that you linked. So, the $50 Magic Chef made more sense to me as an entry level or trial machine, even if it doesn't have all the features of the Duo or Ultra. And I hated the lid on the Lux but liked the Magic Chef's lid, which is like the Duo's. This is why there are different models at different price points.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
One of the most useful Instant Pot tips I've seen lately is to buy a pvc pipe "elbow" big enough to fit over the steam valve. Then when you release the pressure, you can set the piece of pipe over it to direct the steam away from the underside of your cabinets.
When I use it, it's on my huge island. Otherwise, it's hidden in a cabinet.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM

Does anybody else find that meats cooked in the instantpot need more salt when they are cooked in traditional methods?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Does anybody else find that meats cooked in the instantpot need more salt when they are cooked in traditional methods?
all of the seasoning needs to be increased, by quite a lot IMO, as they get diluted from all the moisture

Old 07-27-2017, 04:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
If you cook the meat on the trivet instead of in the liquid, it doesn't dilute the seasonings quite as much, but you still have to increase them.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks to both e,m74 and hedgehog mom, i get to say those magic words to DH, " I told you so."

Can't rep both of you AGAIN.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
I'm thinking about getting one. My best working crockpot is at least 30 years old. It's the kind that doesn't even have a removable crock, but it cooks better than any of the newer ones I have. And I have thought about getting a pressure cooker. So I am reading through this thread to try to decide whether I want to throw out my crockpots and get an Instant Pot.

Interested in getting and air fryer too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink