Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 09:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

That Honey Garlic Chicken looks good! I made this Bourbon Chicken (recipe in link below) which gets good reviews but my son and I didn't care for it, but I'll have to give this one a try.

https://onceamonthmeals.com/recipes/...ional-version/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I made this last night in the IP. Easy and delicious. I added some Korean hot pepper powder 'cause we like spicy, and switched out the parsley for cilantro.

Honey Garlic Chicken (Instant Pot) | Easy Delicious Recipes

The sauce is thin, but could be thickened up easily.
Well - I might have to change my menu this week!

I just made a vegetable stock in my IP for a roasted cauliflower and butternut squash soup.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I braised kale again tonight in the IP. It is so simple! And the flavor is excellent—the best i’ve ever gotten with kale.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 AM

307 posts, read 363,181 times
Default Considering buying Instapot

I saw the commercial and seriously considering buying it since they say it shaves 70% time of your cooking. However I'm a single guy and 40. Super quick recipes are what I usually go for. Will I have those options with this Instapot?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
I saw the commercial and seriously considering buying it since they say it shaves 70% time of your cooking. However I'm a single guy and 40. Super quick recipes are what I usually go for. Will I have those options with this Instapot?
It depends on what kind of cooking you plan to do. The Instant Pot isn't for everyone. Even though it cuts cooking times on things like soups, stew, chili, beans and meat, it still takes a fair amount of prep, planning and a learning curve to understand how to use it. The 15 minutes of cooking time doesn't take into account the time to get to pressure and the release time - adding another 20-30 minutes to the whole process.

I joined a Facebook group for Instant Pot newbies and it was clear that a lot of people expected it to be a lot simpler than it really was. Before making a decision, I suggest looking up some of your favorite foods on the web using the Instant Pot and see what is actually involved.

I do love mine, but I cook a lot - we eat almost exclusively at home and most everything is from scratch, so it saves me a lot of time and trouble. I also love making my own yogurt - a feature on the Duo model.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It depends on what kind of cooking you plan to do. The Instant Pot isn't for everyone. Even though it cuts cooking times on things like soups, stew, chili, beans and meat, it still takes a fair amount of prep, planning and a learning curve to understand how to use it. The 15 minutes of cooking time doesn't take into account the time to get to pressure and the release time - adding another 20-30 minutes to the whole process.

I joined a Facebook group for Instant Pot newbies and it was clear that a lot of people expected it to be a lot simpler than it really was. Before making a decision, I suggest looking up some of your favorite foods on the web using the Instant Pot and see what is actually involved.

I do love mine, but I cook a lot - we eat almost exclusively at home and most everything is from scratch, so it saves me a lot of time and trouble. I also love making my own yogurt - a feature on the Duo model.
See the bolded. Despite the name, it's not really "instant" and I don't think that it cuts 70% off the time, particularly not once the pressurizing and release times are added in.

Having said that, I'm still quite pleased with mine because it does cut the time enough to make life easier, and I also find that the "set it and forget it" mode of cooking is a lot easier too. I can prep everything, get it into the IP and then move on while it does it's thing.

But I'm sure sure I'd recommend it if your sole goal is "super fast" recipes. Also, I don't think Instant Pot has advertisements, so it was likely a similar product but a different brand. But most people seem to think the Instant Pot brand is the best choice.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 AM

If the most important thing to you is speed, then I would say no. The IP and all the other multicookers out there are simply sophisticated pressure cookers. They excel at cooking stews, braises and tough cuts of meat. They also can cook rice, beans, cooked cereal and boiled eggs. These do take less time in the kitchen with an IP.

Specialized instructions allow you to make yogurt.

While the IP is faster than conventional cooking, it is not, say like a microwave oven, which is a speed demon.

I recommend watching some YouTube videos to see if it appeals.

For speedy cooking I recommend a good microwave oven, and a portable induction burner.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 AM

I have a question about turkey in the IP. I make a slow cook white chili using turkey tenderloin, which I shred after a long cook with beans and green chiles. I would like to shorten the cook time with the IP. I would use cooked beans, other ingredients and a pack of whole turkey tenderloins.

My question is how long would I cook this, and will the turkey be cooked to rags?

I really like the way the IP brings out flavors in food. But I don’t want to waste ingredients on a bad experiment.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

one of my foodie friends was recently saying that the benefit of the IP isn't so much the speed, but the "hands off"-ness of using it. There's still prep and planning involved, but the cooking process is self-contained. Like, sure, making risotto in the IP is faster, but the real benefit is that you don't have to stand at the stove stirring things for an hour.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-19-2018 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I took my IP on its maiden voyage last night--I made the lentil and ham stew from the IP cookbook. I followed the recipe to the letter, which involved cooking the lentils in broth for 15 minutes, then a quick release and adding more veggies, then cooking for 5 more minutes. After I started the second cooking segment I got the 'burn' error message, which the manual said was caused by food sticking to the bottom of the inner pot. I vented, stirred the stew, and tried again with the same result. I turned the whole thing off and let it sit for a few minutes before venting again. The stew turned out fine, but has anyone else had that issue with "burn"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink