Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times

Advertisements

I have 2, I would suggest figuring out what you like to make. For yourself or one other person or a whole family. Don't buy a big XL model, those take too long to cook. Get the right size. As for features, I think the less the better. You really just need 4-5 settings and timer. Check the inner lid liner, make sure it's got a decent liner that can be easily removed for cleaning.

I also don't like those with permanently attached wires or weird wires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 11:53 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I love my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo. I got it about two months ago, and I can't count all the wonderful things I've made. It is fabulous to make something that tastes like it came from a great restaurant, and have only one pot to scrub out at the end.

I got the Instant Pot brand because I had never used a pressure cooker before and I wanted something that many other people had used and for which there would be a lot of cookbooks, online tips, and YouTube videos for me to learn from. It's only the two of us, but I got the 6 quart because that's what most people recommended. I saw reviews that said the 3 quart didn't work as well as the 6, and most recipes are made for the six quart.

I would also recommend getting a couple of good Instant Pot cookbooks. I checked several out of our local library so that I could see which ones I wanted to buy, and then I bought the ones I liked used on Amazon. I ended up with How to Instant Pot by Daniel Shumski (great for learning how to use the various functions, plus really good recipes), The Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre (OMG, the food from this cookbook tastes like it came from our favorite Indian restaurant), and The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Sara Quessenberry (because it had a recipe for Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Green Olives that was out of this world).

My only other tip is, once you get it, use the heck out of it so you become comfortable using it--personally, I don't want to cook any other way now.
Agree with all of this except the part about the 3 qts not working well. I use my 3 qt frequently with good results. However I would buy the 6 qt first, as I did. I bought the 3 qt as a supplement to the larger pot, mainly to make brown rice. But I use it for cooking eggs, potatoes and sometimes steaming veggies.

I’d say, I use the 6 qt about twice as often as the 3 qt.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I bought a 49 $ at Walmart over a yr ago and love it...

easy clean up think its 5-6 quart.. in fact I cooked 3 lobsters in it this evening ..cooked great

but its awesome for beef roasts...pork roasts.....brisket corned beef ham..
just about anything that needs moist cooking..

even did baby back ribs for 45 minutes then finished them on the grill...very good..

and easy clean up

most women (in my family) get all paranoid about the lid/cover/top and steam burns..

there's a little swivel knob that has to line up ….to keep in the steam.....then release the steam...when its done cooking..

mine is very user friendly...and ive never had a pressure cooker before
People who used pressure cookers are used to venting cookers. At first the steam is scary, but I’ve never been burned.

I’ve made luscious St. Louis style ribs in mine. I’ve made decent pot roast. Chili out of the IP is very, very good.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:36 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Agree with all of this except the part about the 3 qts not working well. I use my 3 qt frequently with good results. However I would buy the 6 qt first, as I did. I bought the 3 qt as a supplement to the larger pot, mainly to make brown rice. But I use it for cooking eggs, potatoes and sometimes steaming veggies.

I’d say, I use the 6 qt about twice as often as the 3 qt.
Good to know, as I was kind of interested in the 3 quart for eggs, desserts and smaller quantity recipes!

I was skeptical at first about making hard cooked eggs in the Instant Pot, but they turn out perfect every time and it's a lot less hassle than stovetop.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
People who used pressure cookers are used to venting cookers. At first the steam is scary, but I’ve never been burned.

I’ve made luscious St. Louis style ribs in mine. I’ve made decent pot roast. Chili out of the IP is very, very good.
The first time I needed to do a quick release, I suited up like I was heading to the moon, but after a couple of times, I just flick it over with a wooden spoon and that's that.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Good to know, as I was kind of interested in the 3 quart for eggs, desserts and smaller quantity recipes!

I was skeptical at first about making hard cooked eggs in the Instant Pot, but they turn out perfect every time and it's a lot less hassle than stovetop.
I just did this! I used my 3 qt to cook eggs for deviling. So easy.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The first time I needed to do a quick release, I suited up like I was heading to the moon, but after a couple of times, I just flick it over with a wooden spoon and that's that.
I use my finger.

The new model that I covet is the Duo Evo, which has an improved lid and vent.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
I have the Instant Pot 6 quart Duo. I sometimes think about getting an 8 quart, but I just can't justify it when mine works perfectly well. My compromise was buying a second liner so if I want to make a really large batch of something, I prep both liners at the same time and then cook them sequentially. Which is actually even better than the 8 quart in terms of batch cooking a large quantity to freeze individual portions.

I made a spaghetti squash in mine yesterday and a whole, average sized squash fit perfectly into the 6 quart. I cooked for 15 minutes per the recipe I had found online but when I let it cool a little and then cut in half, it turned out that it was not done yet. I am at altitude in Denver so it's not unusual for me to have to to extend recipes. I cooked it for another 3 minutes and it was ok although could have been cooked for another minute and been fine. Next time, I will do 20 minutes, since it will be whole at that point and take a little longer than the second cooking time did since it was cut in half at that point.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:17 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
I have one of these little gadgets. I have a small kitchen so angling the steam away from the cabinets is tricky. With this little diverter thingie, it helps point it away and it keeps me from getting burned in the process. I've seen ones that are characters too - like a little man with steam coming out his ears.

https://www.amazon.com/Release-Diver...39433245&psc=1

Old 12-26-2019, 02:34 PM

I made quinoa in my IP yesterday, for the second time. Time under pressure is 5 minutes, but I left the pot lidded for over 10 minutes. The quinoa was fluffy and beautiful. I think quinoa could be a good base for vegetarian main dish, as it has decent amount of ortein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink