U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 05:35 AM

18,719 posts, read 23,283,758 times

Advertisements

I love beets, fresh, canned and pickled.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:44 AM

8,409 posts, read 14,515,473 times
I don't think I have EVER eaten beets ... not once in my life.

What do they taste like (i.e. are they comparable to anything)? Maybe I should try them ...

Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,585,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Boy I am really loving beets these days. Simply steamed or oven baked in foil and dabbed with a tiny bit of butter. Wow, so good.

And the nutrition profile is terrific -- a wonderful liver, gall bladder cleanser and a blood purifier.

Don't you love it when a food you really like turns out to be good for you?
I completely agree. This is another veggie daughter and I love to can and will do some next week when we do our annual canning. The problem, the beet season is almost over. One way we love them is in a salad. I like them pickled. I make a salad out of them, using spinach or romaine, onions, beets, crumbled blue cheese and pecans. The dressing I use is just a little olive oil and a tad bit of lemon juice.

missik999: we too love to use the beet juice to color the eggs: yes, they do make the eggs super pretty and unusual.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,585,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love beets, pickled, Harvard, raw, boiled, but not baked.
I don't care for them raw as well as cooked and or pickled.

Karen: they are very sweet but not sickening sweet. You can use them is salads, just boiled or pickles. And yes, roasting them is becoming popular. I think many younger people have missed out on veggies we used to have, on a regular bases growing up. You should just buy a can of them and judge for yourself or try some next time you go to a salad bar. Most good salad bars include beets.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM

16,932 posts, read 14,327,075 times
Absolutely love them all: chioggia, golden, cylindra, and of course red beets. Always fresh, never canned.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:01 AM

5,794 posts, read 4,508,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't think I have EVER eaten beets ... not once in my life.

What do they taste like (i.e. are they comparable to anything)? Maybe I should try them ...
Somewhat sweet with an earthy quality to them. I've liked them since I was a kid but haven't had the fancy varieties. Can't say they remind me of any other veggie.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,614,690 times
I LOVE beets. So good. This is from an old post I made on this forum.

First I wash the beets:

These are the beets after a good roasting:

Here they are peeled:

Then I just sliced them in half for the money shot:

Cubed up:

Some nice salad:

Here is the completed salad just before serving. I plate the salad then I cover it with some cubed beets, candied almonds, sunflower seeds, croutons, craisins and feta cheese. This was served with a Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette at the table.

I can eat this all year around. GREAT for spring and summer.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:03 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,918,353 times
Used to eat them when I was a kid - pickled - they came in a jar. Some of those (ice cold of course) with lunch is something I remember fondly.

Probably haven't had them in 35 years now. Did try them once (I don't remember how they were prepared but it wasn't the pickled that came in a jar) and did not like them at all.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:05 AM

122,195 posts, read 15,643,561 times
I usually make a red beet curry dish or a red beet salad with red onions and a vinaigrette. Another delicious way is to have red beet Borscht soup.

Classic Ukrainian Borsch Recipe -

Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,285,599 times
I like beets a lot! Grew up eating them pickled, and eating eggs pickled in beet juice. As an adult, I've enjoyed them roasted, and in soups and salads. What I don't like is the stains they leave on cutting boards. Unfortunately, since I now have blood sugar issues, I can no longer eat them as often as I'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink