Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:20 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times

Advertisements

Neighbor gave me a couple of cans of white chicken breast. Last night we opened one to give to the dog.
I was amazed at how tender and flaky it looked, so I ate a piece of it. I was right. Very juicy, tender, and flaked just like good albacore.
How do I cook my own chicken breast to do the exact same thing? What is the trick? Do you cook for longer time frame? Is it cooked under pressure, is it in chicken stock and boiled forever, or barely cooked at all, (?)...etc

Please tell me your little tips or tricks on how to accomplish this soft, mouthwatering chicken breast that flakes with a fork---minus the can.
Thanks mates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Don't over cook it. If grilling chicken marinate over night and don't over cook it on the grill. If cooking chicken in a pan I coat mine in a little flour. It makes the chicken tender like at the Chinese places.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:25 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Don't over cook it. If grilling chicken marinate over night and don't over cook it on the grill. If cooking chicken in a pan I coat mine in a little flour. It makes the chicken tender like at the Chinese places.
Actually, the Chinese method is called "velveting" and involves corn starch not flour. It's an easy and lovely way to prepare chicken breast. How to Velvet Chicken for Stir-Frying

Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
If you want the chicken to flake easily with a fork and to be close to the texture of canned chicken breast, cook it in a crock pot all day on low with no liquid added to the crock pot. The long cooking time at a low temperature melts away the connective tissue that usually keeps the chicken breast together. Chicken cooked this way is not as salty as canned chicken breast but the texture is very similar. You can shred it with a fork or use the paddle attachment on a stand mixer to shred it. It's good for chicken salad, enchiladas, bbq sandwiches or to add to casseroles or use in tacos.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:37 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
You don't have to want it, I do.
Why reply to a thread with no useful information to offer?
I suspect you could do this by canning it yourself, or reading the cooking instructions for cooking chicken for home canning. Most seem to be utilizing a pressure cooker.

Hedgehog Mom's suggestions would (I think) produce a very moist shredded chicken, which would easily substitute for flaked.

Happy Fourth of July to you, too.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I suspect you could do this by canning it yourself, or reading the cooking instructions for cooking chicken for home canning. Most seem to be utilizing a pressure cooker.

Hedgehog Mom's suggestions would (I think) produce a very moist shredded chicken, which would easily substitute for flaked.

Happy Fourth of July to you, too.
Hedgehog Mom is right: I have been cooking our whole chickens that was for years. when I cook a whole one, but to be honest, I am staring to favor thighs, for the moistness and flavor. For those who prefer breasts, if you are cooking just the breast rather than the crock pot, the secret is simple: do not over cook. Most chicken is overcooked.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:55 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
Try marinading them...in fresh lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice (I used oj a lot because for most of my life I had orange trees in my back yard). Then, you can grill them, bake them, pan-fry them, & they will be so tender! Or, if you want to use them in an Asian dish, use a low-sodium teriyaki or soy sauce.

You don't have to marinade for long (longer is better for best results), but at least an hour after thawing frozen breasts. You can marinade in a ziplock bag, or just pour the chosen marinade over the chicken in a pan or dish.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Try marinading them...in fresh lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice (I used oj a lot because for most of my life I had orange trees in my back yard). Then, you can grill them, bake them, pan-fry them, & they will be so tender! Or, if you want to use them in an Asian dish, use a low-sodium teriyaki or soy sauce.

You don't have to marinade for long (longer is better for best results), but at least an hour after thawing frozen breasts. You can marinade in a ziplock bag, or just pour the chosen marinade over the chicken in a pan or dish.
I put the marinade in the bag with the chicken before I freeze it. It seems like it thaws quicker that way and the flavor is great.

I use pineapple juice, soy sauce, pomegranate vinegar, brown sugar and grated ginger root for a teriyaki marinade. Lemon juice, beer, liquid smoke and bbq seasoning make a good bbq flavor. Lime juice, fajita seasoning, beer, chili paste and garlic for fajita chicken is good too. I marinate chicken in milk when I'm going to make breaded chicken tenders. I buy big packages of chicken breast tenders and make all the different marinades and freeze the chicken in meal-size portions. I usually do that once a month and prepare enough for the month, so that all I have to do is thaw and bake the chicken.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,508,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Neighbor gave me a couple of cans of white chicken breast. Last night we opened one to give to the dog.
I was amazed at how tender and flaky it looked, so I ate a piece of it. I was right. Very juicy, tender, and flaked just like good albacore.
How do I cook my own chicken breast to do the exact same thing? What is the trick? Do you cook for longer time frame? Is it cooked under pressure, is it in chicken stock and boiled forever, or barely cooked at all, (?)...etc

Please tell me your little tips or tricks on how to accomplish this soft, mouthwatering chicken breast that flakes with a fork---minus the can.
Thanks mates.
We have a similar thread going here: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ist-juicy.html

Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I put the marinade in the bag with the chicken before I freeze it. It seems like it thaws quicker that way and the flavor is great.

I use pineapple juice, soy sauce, pomegranate vinegar, brown sugar and grated ginger root for a teriyaki marinade. Lemon juice, beer, liquid smoke and bbq seasoning make a good bbq flavor. Lime juice, fajita seasoning, beer, chili paste and garlic for fajita chicken is good too. I marinate chicken in milk when I'm going to make breaded chicken tenders. I buy big packages of chicken breast tenders and make all the different marinades and freeze the chicken in meal-size portions. I usually do that once a month and prepare enough for the month, so that all I have to do is thaw and bake the chicken.
What a difference idea, marinating prior to freezing. It certainly is worth a try, but knowing me I would forget I did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink