Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Restaurants are dying because most Americans want value instead of quality. It's too difficult to cater to a wide variety of tastes and preferences so fast casuals have just a limited selection that covers most preferences and make them fast. The other choice are big buffets that let you pick and choose your own.

I don't like any of them, if I can choose I would go with a proper restaurant with fresh food. There's nothing like a properly seared steak compare to the stale meats at Chipotles.

The sad part is that any place that makes good fresh food pops up on Yelp and then it gets flooded by millennials and I have to listen to some millennial demands the chef to make food their way.
I think it's because going out to eat has become so expensive. I don't know is anyone else has experienced this, but even though my wife and I are more financially stable than in our younger years, eating out is proportionally more costly that it was ten or 20 years ago, much more than our better financial means account for. We have made changes in our dining habits to make it more affordable. We rarely order drinks, we go out to lunch instead of dinner when it's cheaper, we go out on weekdays, when we get cocktails, we only go during Happy Hour, and we buy Groupons to make our restaurant monies go further. We don't go to buffets; the food isn't good anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think it's because going out to eat has become so expensive. I don't know is anyone else has experienced this, but even though my wife and I are more financially stable than in our younger years, eating out is proportionally more costly that it was ten or 20 years ago, much more than our better financial means account for. We have made changes in our dining habits to make it more affordable. We rarely order drinks, we go out to lunch instead of dinner when it's cheaper, we go out on weekdays, when we get cocktails, we only go during Happy Hour, and we buy Groupons to make our restaurant monies go further. We don't go to buffets; the food isn't good anymore.
manybe it is cause we are aging but I agree with you on most of what you say. We too use coupons or gift cards given to us for Christmas. We are more inclined to go out for lunch and do not enjoy buffets at all anymore. We went to a Asian buffet the other day for lunch. I had wanted to go there for years cause I had heard so many positive things about it. Yes, it was good as buffets go, but I doubt we will hurry back. We just don't eat that much and buffet food all seems to taste the same. I have to admit I still like my glass of wine, but if I am not ordering wine I stick with water.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:59 PM

129 posts, read 78,317 times
I like fresh, and I like casual, BUT I do like to be waited on in restaurants.

At home, I cook frequently, and I am a full-service one-stop shop, so to speak. I love doing all the work, including clean-up (probably because I'm a control freak). It feels so good to "take care" of people that way.

So I guess when I eat out, I enjoy being taken care of.

That being said, a couple of my favorite places in town are "order at the counter" even though they are not chain restaurants. The places I'm thinking of are also dog friendly, which is nice!

As for tipping, I always leave a generous tip in the jar at the counter matter what. You never know the difference a few extra dollars might make to someone that day.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I'm all for diners... the original "fast casual."

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
of as we called them on the west coast: coffee shops.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I've diner I've been to has a waitstaff and stable service

Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Perhaps we are just strange when it comes to restaurants, but we patronize one of two types.

1 - Fast Food/Delivery - we go there, order, take the food home (9 out of 10 times) OR have it delivered.

2 - Regular restaurants - we go there, sit down/are seated, receive a menu, order, eat, talk, drink, do whatever - tip well, leave.

We're either all in or all out it seems like - we don't like "fast causal" at all.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
"...we order at the counter, seat ourselves, then are either brought our meal or given the food right at the counter."

Sounds like Irish pub! Like it!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I've diner I've been to has a waitstaff and stable service
don't think Ottawa read the whole thread or didn't realize OP was talking about places where you order from the walk up counter.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:27 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Taste of food trumps serving method/environment for me.

If there is great food, I would not even care if servers are rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink