Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times

Advertisements

Being an Ex-Chef I can see both sides of this

However, I will only comment when asked and only after we leave the place.

Most of the people I dine out with will most likely ask my thoughts
if they are not that pleased, as they are aware of my rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:38 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
I can't stand that type of attitude either.

Those types are so condescending, and they make remarks such as 'wouldn't touch that, I can't eat that, ooh, the spices are off, non-existent, texture is just so off, etc. etc.'

It's as if their taste buds are the only ones that matter, and the rest of us peons can only imagine the joy of one of their own home cooked meals, but certainly not have any developed tastes of our own, and certainly not from the restaurant we are now trapped in with so-and-so.

They always know a better way, a better technique, have to correct and add to each and every statement. The poor Chef must not know what he/she was thinking, lol!

OP, I agree with every post made here. Avoid her like the plaque. She will only embarrass you, and make you feel bad about your own choices, if you let her.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-06-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I only comment when a restaurant has obviously missed the mark - like using canned potatoes for their "roasted new potatoes," or simmering a pot of stew so long that the bones are chalky and falling apart, or serving BBQ ribs that have been steaming all day and you don't notice that you are biting right through the bone, or pouring BBQ sauce on your plate of pulled-pork, only to discover the cook just loves Five-Spice powder.

Some flaws are so egregious they just have to be called-out.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I can sympathize with chefs who are proud of their food. If I cooked something that I felt was perfect, but someone didn't like it. I would feel as if I knew better. This is one reason why I would never open a restaurant.

I like to watch the restaurant impossible-type shows in which the owners are wrong when they think their food is good. But if I were a competent chef, with a good establishment, I would have no patience for the customer who just didn't know bad food from good food.

We have friends who, thankfully, live too far away to go out with much anymore. The wife was never happy with anything she got, ever. It was embarrassing. It was not as though she had a sophisticated palate, more like she had the palate of a 5 year old.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My mother is like this.
Thing is, she really can make everything better.

Frankly, I don't have any other friends like this, but I don't like to be around anyone who is chronically negative about anything.

Honestly it really doesn't matter if they can make it better or not. In general, going out to eat is as much about the company as the food. By focusing the conversation on the deficiencies of the food and how YOU could improve it, it becomes about YOU. It's a self centered behavior.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Don't get me wrong, though. I am grateful if anyone cooks for me, and home cooking is usually good. I might make something a different way, but if someone cooks for me, I would never criticize.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:39 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I have friends that are so unbelievably fussy about their food that they're a PITA to the servers, but none that are actual food snobs or who are openly critical of the food or service to the server unless there's a damn good reason.

The only time I've gone off at a restaurant was when my entree was served cold, taken back to the kitchen, and served cold again, and a third time. What I ate - the hot part - was good. The manager got an earful - a polite earful, of course.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
People who think they can cook everything better, and criticize everyone's cooking should cook their own food and eat at home. When they decide to go out and eat food cooked by others, they should accept the "inferiority" without overly analyzing it.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
That's just what I did..and now she's upset with me...told me I hurt her feelings. I tried to be gentle, but guess it didn't work. Oh well, I'd suffered long enough. Felt abused with the negativity. And her critique happens whether or not she picked the restaurant..I think it's a form of entertainment or personal elevation for her is all I can figure out.
Oh for Christs sake. I think this would annoy me more than the annoying food comments. It really is all about her, isn't it?

I stopped eating with a friend who constantly made proclamations about what is "healthy" and what isn't. It took all the pleasure out of dining.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:11 AM

604 posts, read 618,165 times
such behavior can be so annoying. However I've never met someone that complains about EVERY kind of food.

I had a friend who complained every time we ate italian. He was very good at cooking italian dishes. So we ended up eating asian, mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink