Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:41 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
The pan I could not live without is my cast iron skillet. It is over 100 years old - I am the 4th generation in my family to use it (my Mom finally let me have it last fall - she has so many, it was only fair).

It never goes in the dishwasher, but it is in use almost daily. On the burner and in the oven. Some of my fish recipes go from burner to oven and back again.

I have other cookware that is "sexier" - some fabulous copper, for example, in lots of shapes in sizes. But my cast iron skillet is my best friend in the kitchen. I absolutely love it.
Ditto my cast iron skillet.

I cook everything from the crispiest, best, roast chicken ever Simplest Roast Chicken Recipe - NYT Cooking to cornbread in mine.

And no, it has never been in the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
I have an cast-iron dutch oven that I bought at a neighbors' yard sale. Just like my cast-iron skillet but with high sides so less splatter. I'm always using one or the other because it's impossible to burn anything in cast iron. Well, almost impossible.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM

863 posts, read 795,945 times
Cast iron skillet for me too.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:28 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times
I have a pair of All-Clad nonstick pans on the stovetop at all times.

The usual wisdom is never invest in nonstick, but I hate using cheap pans. And I hate cleaning pans such as the regular steel All-Clads I have down below. Lazy, I know.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Dutch oven

Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
What dishwasher?

Probably the most used pan around here is the cast iron omelete skillet, but most of the cast iron gets a lot of use. Most of them have 'Griswald' stamped on the bottom, except for the cast iron wok, I think that's a 'Lodge'. Other than the cast iron, there's the 20 quart stainless steel copper bottom Revere ware stockpot that is used for soups, canning, stews, and all sorts of big cooking projects.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:28 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was just noticing today, that I use my 9x13" sheet pan with 1/2" sides, almost every day. I could not function without it. It is a baking pan, I guess, and what it is meant for, I don't know, but I use it for things like baking sweet potatoes, making a small batch of roasted vegetables, or English muffin pizzas. There are just the two of us.

I had this epiphany (I can be slow witted) when I noticed that it is in my dishwasher every day. In contention, is my T-fall 10" skillet, but I don't use it everyday.

So, which thing is in your dishwasher every day?

The pan I use the most is a 10" stainless steel frying pan with a good heavy bottom. It has no name on it but I'm pretty sure it came from Macy's about thirty years ago.

If it went in the dishwasher it wouldn't be ready to use the next time I needed it. The dishwasher gets run about every 2-3 weeks. How many people do you cook for and how many meals a day to run it daily?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:32 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
I love my Revere Ware cookware that I have used since first starting out on my own, years ago. Though I have tried using a few other pans, they are the best for me. I also like the Pyrex containers in different sizes that can go in the fridge, microwave and oven - and freezer too, but I usually just store leftovers in (also having larger Pyrex baking pans).

Old 07-10-2016, 04:34 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I love my Revere Ware cookware that I have used since first starting out on my own, years ago. Though I have tried using a few other pans, they are the best for me. I also like the Pyrex containers in different sizes that can go in the fridge, microwave and oven - and freezer too, but I usually just store leftovers in (also having larger Pyrex baking pans).
have to agree with this. We have the copper bottom version and its a very sturdy set!! My parents got theirs in 1984 and its STILL going strong! We got ours in 2007 and its still going strong!

Old 07-10-2016, 05:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I've got a Revere Ware Dutch oven and smaller saucepan that were my grandma's, I def prefer them to nonstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink