Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,908,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
We like mesquite the best. Of course, that is because we have a Texan in the house.
I find too much mesquite bitter. Texas BBQ (beef) generally uses pecan & oak, with a little mesquite--sort of an "accent" smoke .

Classic Memphis BBQ (pork) uses hickory, but fruit woods like apple have come into favor in the last 25 years or so. You used to not even see apple or peach wood in the stores, but now it's a staple.

We were on a Memphis in May championship BBQ cooking team years ago when an apple wood-fueled BBQ cooking team from Illinois consistently won Grand Champion year after year. It seems like after that apple wood started becoming more widely available.

If you're smoking fish, use a milder wood like alder. Hickory or oak can be overpowering on delicate fish.

Congrats on your new grill--I just got a new Weber Genesis last week and am trying to figure out the gas thing. I've only used wood and charcoal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 03:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
According to the guy on DDD last night, green mesquite.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:40 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
According to the guy on DDD last night, green mesquite.
I missed that episode! My husbands family used to sell smokers at their gun and knife store (that had camping, deer stands and so much more) so they would use all types of wood (and still do) but yes, you heard a secret on DDD! Green Mesquite is amazing!

I am from TN and we have a cabin also on the NC border; I like it all! LOL

Old 07-17-2016, 04:51 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
I use oak as a heat source - my BBQ pits are wood-burners.
I've used apple, cherry, and peach on pork and chicken for a wonderful subtle flavor.
Pecan is mild and creates a very pleasant flavor.
I used to use hickory, but people were complaining that my ribs tasted like bacon (that's a bad thing?).
I've tried mesquite, but I find it acrid - kind of like tobacco.

With any of the woods, the properties of the smoke are dependent on the combustion of the wood. Incomplete combustion will create billowy white clouds of smoke, while a more complete combustion will create a thinner, blue smoke. The blue smoke is full of flavor, the yellow/white smoke is full of chemicals, and will coat your product in bitter, tongue-numbing creosote.

However, I'm doing low-and-slow BBQ that is exposed to burning wood for long periods of time, "your mileage may vary" when grilling.

I have some chickens and a pork butt cooking with oak/apple at this moment.

Here's my Oklahoma Joe in full-on flavor mode - note the thin blue smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
What type of wood for Smoking meats-okjoe.jpg  

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-17-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,327,276 times
This site was mentioned in our other smoker threads but here is a specific thread about woods: All About Smoke Woods - The Virtual Weber Bullet

We've got a couple of different smokers and use different sources for different ones. It's all good!

Old 07-17-2016, 07:44 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,903,688 times
Big fan of apple. I've tried most woods (singly) and apple is my most favorite.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
We like mesquite the best. Of course, that is because we have a Texan in the house.
Mesquite is tops in Texas no doubt. No wood I know of imparts more excellent flavor and awesome smell to meats than mesquite.....and we've got tons in Texas. It may not be for everyone but it's #1 on my list.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,527,466 times
Alder is best. It's what the First Nation mostly used in our region.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Alder is best...
There isn't a "best" wood for smoking. There are regional favorites, there are subjective taste preferences, and there are cooking techniques that enhance a specific meat using a particular wood. For example, I don't care for mesquite, but it's only because I don't know how to use mesquite.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:29 AM

4,168 posts, read 3,357,627 times
It really is a matter of personal taste.

Did not care for mesquite (imparted an almost musty flavor), used to be big on hickory, but now turning away from hickory (apart from with beef) in favor of apple and cherry. Maybe it's about time I tried maple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink