Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:28 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
My problem with ravioli is the unbreakable connection with the canned Chef Boyardee ravioli that I grew up eating.

Ettore Boiardi (the namesake of Chef Boyardee) knew what he was doing. The recipes you see on the shelves are just missing some of the key herbal seasonings that don't translate well to the can. Same with Ragu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
I like Chef Boyardee, but only after getting dropped off at home by Uber at 2:30 AM. Combined with a nightcap beer and a light splash of Frank's hot sauce. Other times, I cook my own, although I do use the frozen boxed ravioli.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
My only lasagna fan is at school on the west coast these days, the rest of us don't care for it. But when he's in town, I use ricotta mixed with egg, parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, and as much spinach as I can get away with while swearing it's parsley. That's layered with meat sauce.

And, as rare as lasagna is around here, ravioli is rarer. When I do make it, it's always refrigerated, not frozen pasta, with an alfredo sauce and fresh vegetables.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:45 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
My Italian grandmother always used ricotta in her lasagna...never had lasagna with "white sauce".
I'm guessing she'd been in the US a few generations? Actual Italians and fresh off the boat Italians use white sauce. Or could she have been in a hurry? It is time consuming to make two sauces, ricotta would be a quick cheat on a weeknight.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2454...sauce+bechamel
This recipe uses white sauce and bechamel interchangebly, but actual bechamel has onion and stuff, white sauce is just butter, flour and milk.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:50 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My only lasagna fan is at school on the west coast these days, the rest of us don't care for it. But when he's in town, I use ricotta mixed with egg, parmesan, mozzarella, parsley, and as much spinach as I can get away with while swearing it's parsley. That's layered with meat sauce.

And, as rare as lasagna is around here, ravioli is rarer. When I do make it, it's always refrigerated, not frozen pasta, with an alfredo sauce and fresh vegetables.
Now that sounds like a deconstructed ravioli or canellini tyoe of recipe.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I've never seen canned ravioli!

Now you have:

Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Now that sounds like a deconstructed ravioli or canellini tyoe of recipe.

It sounds exactly like every lasagna I've ever made. Except the spinach.

Unfamiliar with lasagna made with white sauce*.

Granted, we don't eat a lot of lasagna but, like Mattie, when I make it, that's how. Gonna steal the spinach idea though. Luckily everyone here likes spinach so no need to pretend it's parsley.

*Perhaps I've misunderstood - are you talking about a white sauce or bechamel as part of the cheese layer, or in lieu of red sauce?

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-25-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 08:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Now you have:

lol! oh.... wow.
I suppose it's good for a quick meal. lol

Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
lol! oh.... wow.
I suppose it's good for a quick meal. lol
That was the whole idea.. that you could have what was then a fairly exotic cuisine, any time you wanted, cheaply, and it didn't even have to be refrigerated. It was a novel concept then and it still holds up, though more people are watching their sodium intake in this era of high blood pressure and heart disease.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I love lasagna and ravioli. Those who don't like "soggy" ravioli should try it toasted.
Super popular appetizer in STL.

All canned pasta, whether Che Boyardee or Franco-American, always tasted like acid reflux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink