Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times

Advertisements

To the person who repped me (thanks) but said read the OP for the answers to the questions I asked, you will note that I answered BEFORE he amended his OP to describe what he ate as a child. I was answering to his inquiry prior to his more informative edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Reps to you all. I'm taking notes.

Bluegill is a small freshwater fish that we caught in the lake in Illinois. We'd catch in the morning then grill them for lunch/dinner. It's a Midwest USA thing I guess. They are tiny (very little meat) and tons of little bones.

I had some tests done and discusses diet with my Dr. and he just said I need to add some fish to my diet. I asked him about fish oil pills and he said he recommended actually trying to eat fish. Not sure why he'd want me to eat fish over pills but he's been a good doctor to me.

Seems like some say Salmon is good for those who don't like fish and others say it is really fishy. Hmmm

Old 08-13-2016, 05:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
R
Seems like some say Salmon is good for those who don't like fish and others say it is really fishy. Hmmm
I agree. I don't like salmon any way but smoked and verrrrrrrrry thinly sliced.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:22 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I don't like any freshwater fish. I like halibut, cod, swordfish, mahi mahi, orange roughy, tuna, and some others I can't recall right now.

I like to saute in a bit of olive oil and drizzle with butter and lemon. I also like fish cooked en papillote with some veggies in the packet.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Beautiful, fresh salmon is delicious and not at all fishy. Try it!

Old 08-13-2016, 05:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Salmon is very oily, though not greasy. Better said, is has a high-fat content, not liquid-oily. Some people are fine with it, others need to ease into it. If you try it, start with the Norwegian salmon, if your store has it. Whole Foods does.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Beautiful, fresh salmon is delicious and not at all fishy. Try it!
... Says the fish lover

Seriously, I've tried it prepared many ways, grilled, raw, baked, smoked, pan-fried... (Certain of my family love it) I've given up on ever liking it. YMMV, OP.

Tuna is so much milder tasting.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:25 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Haddock is a not very fishy tasting fish. If you can shed some cash, Chilean seabass and halibut are two fish that are really hard to screw up. Pretty much everybody likes both of them.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
try some mild tasting fish like haddock...

cook/fry like you would chicken fried steak,,

soak fillet in egg mix then place in flour and fry

or

season with your fav seasonings, then bake ,,,,,, it cooks very quickly.

like others have said,,, try some shrimp,,,
and/or

ive been buying the 1lb canned pasteurized crab meat at the store it will go on sale for 7-8.99
its in the refrigerated case.... this stuff is very good and mild,,,great for crab rolls

if you just cant bring yourself to cook any of these items,,,,,go somewhere where they have a real fried fish sandwich (not a form fillet)

Old 08-13-2016, 06:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Tips from a childhood fish hater (for whatever they're worth):

try sushi, specifically tuna. Fresh raw fish does not have the strong fishy flavor/odor of cooked fish, plus you can hide it with tons of wasabi if you don't mind the sinus-clearing effects

I actually like shrimp - buy a bag of frozen, peeled raw shrimp. They are so easy to prepare in lots of stir-fry style dishes, and great with pasta or rice too. They only take a few minutes to cook. When they're pink, they're done. Shellfish in general (except oysters) seem to be much more appealing to me than any actual fish.

People will say salmon or catfish are not fishy fish. They are wrong!! These people just happen to like fish. Salmon is probably the absolute least fave for me - it's so odd that people are always recommending it to fish detractors. The smell of it cooked is the WORST - but I don't even like salmon sushi.

Canned tuna counts as fish - I love tuna salad with pickles and celery.

I take Krill oil supplements instead of feeling guilty about not eating "enough" seafood.
This is quite comical, because fish is definitely an acquired taste... but I acquired it very young, and grew up eating seafood, and I guess I must've gone "nose blind" to the odour of cooked fish. It seems to me, that cooked fish has very little fishy odour at all. I know what raw, uncooked, whole fish smells like though... barrels of it, or just brought home to be cleaned (descaled) before cooking. I know what frozen whole fish smells like, and even frozen it has a slight smell... cooked though, I can't smell it very much at all.

I would still say that salmon has among the mildest flavours/smells of cooked fish. Mild raw as well... Probably why it's so popular in sushi?

Smoked salmon, that's a different story... smoked fish of any kind, like smoked regular meat, has a strong distinctive smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink