Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times

Advertisements

I never and hate to eat fish when I was younger, you've guessed it- the fishy taste. Don't remember when did I since decided they can be quite nice to eat.

The best way is to start with Fish and chips, deep fried fish has little nutritional benefits but less fishy, helps you to erase the bad memories. When you overcome fishy phobia it's easier for you to try out fish cooked in healthier ways. Cod, dory, grouper, pomfret are some of the more taste friendly fishes. Black bean sauce, soy sauce, black pepper spices enhances your buds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:02 AM

55 posts, read 60,363 times
My suggestion is the same for anybody that needs to eat something they don't think they like. Add it to something you do like! Wrap it in bacon... Fry it and eat with your favorite side... If you can pair it with something you love then you won't spend all day dreading it.

I personally eat a lot of salads with very light dressing to try and keep it healthyish, but you will never catch me doing it without a topping or two like cheese or flavorful meat to cover all the greens.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Try fresh COBIA or HALIBUT. Did I say Fresh?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Per the instruction of my Dr. I need to add some fish to my diet. I have been terrified to eat anything from the ocean or water my entire life. I tried fish one time when I was little and it tasted like fish, way too much.It was a blue gill (grilled) in midwest. Since then I have not gone near it and I'm in my mid 30s now.

How can I have the best chance at liking fish? What type of fish, how to season it, how to cook it etc. without it having that fishy flavor. I get nauseated just thinking about it so smelling it would make me sick. I can't imagine ever liking it but I suppose I have to try.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Then fire your doctor and get a different one. Nobody NEEDS to add anything to their diet if they don't want to. How does your doctor think vegetarians and vegans manage? They get by fine without fish. If you don't want to eat fish, don't eat fish. If your diet is missing omega-3, just include other foods rich in omega-3 fats.

But if you really, really want to get that fish in your diet (again, it's not necessary no matter what your doctor says), try smoked fish.

Doctors are like mechanics. Some know their job and others don't.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:02 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The mildest fish, IMO, are sole and trout, Trout is easy to fix, lightly fried in butter. If you have the ruby red variety in your area, it has a slightly sweet flavor, no seasoning necessary. Simple, yummy, takes about 5 minutes to cook on the stovetop. It's hard to beat trout for simplicity and yumminess.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
I don't see how a person can suddenly get over not liking fish and just start chowing down on it. I don't like any seafood. It all just gags me. Why does the OP need fish in his diet? They make fish oil capsules. I'd go that route!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:24 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I order salmon fillets from Seabear . com. They come pre-cut and packaged, some with samples of spices. VERY easy to cook and very healthy. I love the taste - there are several types and the website describes the tastes very well. You keep them frozen. They have many other types of fish also.

Flounder is mild, as is any fish that is used in fish & chips, usually. Haddock is delicious and meaty, and fish tacos are always great!

Old 08-16-2016, 02:31 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
Fish and seafood are the only animal protein I eat!

Make sure it is FRESH.

Also, start with something mild - and wild.

I highly recommend sole (Dover or Petrale). You can sauté it about 2 to 3 minutes, and it is delicious with a little rice and a green veggie.

Cod is also mild, wild, and easy.

Catfish is mild, but it is farmed, which means you will be indirectly consuming corn or soy or whatever the catfish was fed. If you are sensitive to either, this is important to be aware of.

Few things in life are more delicious than grilled shrimp - also easy.

Good luck!
Same here - i'm a pescetarian. LOVE my fishes and seafoods.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
To answer the question about why I want to try to like fish and not just take oil/pills, well I am trying to expand my palette. I have a very limited diet so I want to try new things and fish is one of them. I feel like I might be missing out on something and want to give it another shot. This is of course in addition to my doctor's recommendation.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Hi Mr Geek
I haven't read the 4 pages of responses you've already received, but I wanted to share my thoughts with you. I used to be horrible at preparing seafood. My poor kids (now grown) grew up thinking fish was awful because I didn't know how to prepare it, or which kind to buy. I would buy the cheapest kind, stick in in a pan with butter and lemon juice, and bake it. And it was usually gross.

Now I LOVE seafood, thanks to my now hub who is a very good cook. In fact, I just enjoyed a birthday dinner of grilled Chilean sea bass. A bit pricey ($25-30/lb) but is deee-licious and has a melt-in-your-mouth feel. I also love salmon (Sockeye or Coho is what I eat the most), grilled, with Potlatch seasoning from Williams Sonoma (I love that seasoning and have given it to a lot of people as gifts). Halibut is another good one for grilling.

For all of these, just make a little pan out of aluminum foil, season (either the Potlatch, or just S&P, or other seafood rub), and grill over medium heat until it easily flakes with the spatula, usually about 10 minutes. No turning necessary. For salmon, buy the kind where the skin is on one side, place it skin-side down on the foil, and when it's finished cooking, a spatula will easily separate the salmon from the skin.

Oooooh, almost forgot! Grilled scallops and shrimp are also fabulous. Also red snapper, but I think hub always cooks that inside. Sorry, I'm not sure what he does to it exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink