Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM

366 posts, read 493,486 times

Advertisements

On supermarket pizzas....some brands actually manufacture their own pizzas and ship them nationally, others use regional distribution model where they contract out pizzas to a supplier who makes them to their specifications in large batch runs. Often that supplier will service multiple clients and negotiate his own suppliers ad often the specs are fairly loosely defined. Hence variability can occur within a brand based on geographical distribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
In Wisconsin there's "Tombstone". Pretty good for frozen pizza.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Interestingly the sausage ones are very, very good. They spices from the sausage are disbursed through the sauce and flavor it, so it actually tastes very different then the other Tombstone varieties in terms of the sauce. I rate there sausage pizza far above their other varieties. The other varieties are very good.

FYI, history time. Tombstone stated out as brand that was marketed to bars in the 70s. The bar would get a counter top pizza oven (very small) and they would then sell 9 inch personal pizzas. They built a demand that way in order to get the pizzas onto the supermarket shelves.

I only know that as I swept the floor of a bar when I was kid and was there when the sales guy came around and pitched the deal.

Last edited by usagisan; 08-18-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 10:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:

Wisconsin is the home of frozen pizza. Woodman's is the first store that I have seen that has two aisles of frozen pizze to choose from - about 4x the amount of the average grocery store.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
I think they are national. They are everywhere in Phoenix. Too much cheese for me. And you really need a pizza oven to get them to come out right. IMHO

You guys will probably laugh again but the other one I miss after leaving Wisconsin is palermos thin crust.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Interestingly the sausage ones are very, very good. They spices from the sausage are disbursed through the sauce and flavor it, so it actually tastes very different then the other Tombstone varieties in terms of the sauce. I rate there sausage pizza far above their other varieties. The other varieties are very good.

FYI, history time. Tombstone stated out as brand that was marketed to bars in the 70s. The bar would get a counter top pizza oven (very small) and they would then sell 9 inch personal pizzas. They built a demand that way in order to get the pizzas onto the supermarket shelves.

I only know that as I swept the floor of a bar when I was kid and was there when the sales guy came around and pitched the deal.
Interesting. My old roommate identified the special taste as cinnamon. I have to agree. But it's like it's in the crust too

Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Tombstone used to be a small Wisconsin company, then they got bought out by some large agro-conglomerate and the taste suffered. I still like them, though. Good for an occasional pizza craving in the evening.

I even remember their old jingle: "It's a small town, homegrown, made the way you'd make your own pizza. Tombstone! Made the way you'd make your very own. Tombstone!".

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
Kraft bought them in 1986. They originated at The Tombstone Tap, so called because there was a cemetery across the street.
Good old Wisconsin taverns...LOVE THEM!

Old 08-18-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I think they are national. They are everywhere in Phoenix. Too much cheese for me. And you really need a pizza oven to get them to come out right. IMHO

You guys will probably laugh again but the other one I miss after leaving Wisconsin is palermos thin crust.
Nope, I would not laugh. In fact Palmeros makes a "Classic" which is actually a discount pizza (5 for $10) type of thing, with a very thin crust. It is one of the finest basic pizzas I have ever tasted when used as a base for elaborate toppings. I am shocked at how good the sauce is on that and the basic cheese mixture. Essentially it is my favorite frozen pizza (for what I use it for).

Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Yes that's exactly the one I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink