Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As I said (not that it's relevant to this thread), people don't eat alone in restaurants where I live; it's a social thing. And I, personally, can't see the point of sitting there by yourself eating at a table set for four/more people when everyone around you is eating and conversing in couples, families, or groups. Maybe I just live in a weird place. But thanks for remembering me?

Pizza, for instance! You either have it delivered (to your house) or pick it up (and bring it to your house) and eat it there, whether that's alone or with others. You don't sit in the Domino's joint eating it alone. To bring the conversation back to where it belongs...

Or, you go somewhere other than Dominos, get a good pizza, and eat it there. But let me guess--no sit-down restaurants with pizza on the menu in your town that you apparently never leave?

Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Whenever I get pizza, it's usually the organic frozen kind. I eat the entire whole pizza in one sitting, just for myself. It's not even that fattening, really. The entire pizza is 36% daily value of fat. Yes, that's high in itself, but for an entire meal, not really. Pizza also has a good source of protein in the cheese. However, i never eat pizza that has thick or extra cheese. Only moderate cheese.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
If I buy a whole pizza (for just myself), I take out two pieces and immediate freeze the rest two-by-two so I'm not tempted. That's lunch for several other days that I'm craving it, and it reheats nicely in a gentle microwave.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That's really odd. Most of the "New York" style pizzerias make pizza with a THIN crust, brick oven style. I've had pizza at most of the "renowned" pizzerias in NYC, and they all prize the thin, crisp crusts. And that's how I like it - the thinner the better. Thick crusts are just a waste of bread/calories.
It's not odd. I come from the boroughs of NYC. New York style pizza, for as long as I've known, has a thick outer crust. The outer crust is not flat and crispy like a cracker. You fold it and eat it. I don't know about "renowned", but my neighborhood Italian-American pizzerias always prepared their slices that way. Famous Ray's slices, last time I ate them, were prepared similar to what I was used to.

As for thick crusts being a waste of bread/calories, I'm fine with it. I like what I like and feel the calories are worth it. Bread doesn't bother me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York-style_pizza

All of those pictures are what I've grown up with. Outer crust is a bit thicker, can be soft or crisp, not flat. You fold and eat. Heaven.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:54 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Bread, marinara sauce, some veggies on top, maybe even a little pepperoni. Is that really so bad? I get so tired of certain foods being vilified by dieters and health food snobs when they seem harmless enough to me. Not every meal has to be organic avocados drizzled with virgin olive oil to be acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I wouldn't consider pizza that's made fresh junk food as opposed to the store bought frozen stuff. Frozen pizza has more preservatives and stuff I can't pronounce.
I would agree and I would also add that if you don't have huge thick bread slices to help keep the blood sugar spikes down a bit and go easy on the fatty/salty meats I don't see what it's so bad about it.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
White flour is junk food in whatever form it takes. Be it white bread, a cake, a bagel, or pizza dough, it's by far the most unhealthy part of the pizza.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Whenever I get pizza, it's usually the organic frozen kind. I eat the entire whole pizza in one sitting, just for myself. It's not even that fattening, really. The entire pizza is 36% daily value of fat. Yes, that's high in itself, but for an entire meal, not really. Pizza also has a good source of protein in the cheese. However, i never eat pizza that has thick or extra cheese. Only moderate cheese.
There are a lot of people on this forum stuck in the 90's with "fat=fattening".

It's really bad diet advice for most people.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I haven't found any of the evidence that carbs in general, or white flour in particular, is "junk food" convincing. And of course you need some fat in your diet for not only satiety, but also proper brain function, which is another reason why pizza is fine in moderation.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I love pizza. You can put ANYTHING on it and walk around while you eat it. That makes it the perfect food.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are a lot of people on this forum stuck in the 90's with "fat=fattening".

It's really bad diet advice for most people.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink