Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Love Italian food, both the traditional Italian and the Americanized version. My Sicilian grandmother would have card tables loaded with drying homemade ravioli on our Sunday visits. I never appreciated how much work she put into those dinners until I became an adult and started recreating them.

Not all Italian food is that labor intensive, though. My mother was a great cook (learned from her mom) and she would put together some easy meals she grew up with. She would drop some eggs into simmering tomato sauce, or scramble peas and eggs for a quick meal. One of my favorite meals is peppers sauteed in olive oil and served in a sandwich of fresh Italian bread.

The only food I never acquired a taste for was seafood, which is a staple of Sicilian cuisine. Ick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
They are about the same thing.
I thought the filling was different. I believe (I could be wrong) canalloni has a meat filling of chicken/veal/pork, while manicotti has a filling like spinach and ricotta. The pasta is always the same. Homemade pasta cut into pieces, then filled with the filling and rolled.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:15 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have never thought that manicotti and cannelloni are the same thing. Similar, but not the same. My general impression is that manicotti is a pasta shell, thickish, while cannelloni is more of a crepe and thinner. I think of cannelloni as more 'delicate' than manicotti.

Difference in Cannelloni or Manicotti | eHow
Don't believe what you read in eHow. There is no such thing as pre formed pasta to stuff in Italy. That's an American thing, if you are talking authentic Italian food.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 PM

129 posts, read 78,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Why not post them here, maybe a recipe for "Polpi in Umido" or "Polpi in Acqua Loro."
You must be my twin separated at birth!

Old 09-03-2016, 01:00 PM

129 posts, read 78,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
No, I am not close to Napoli. I'm from Forlì, on the Adriatic sea.
I was raised in Pordenone. Lignano Sabbiadoro is the beach of my childhood.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:39 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
Italian food can be very tasty but not when it's heavy on the tomato sauce. I prefer subtle flavoring.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:20 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My mom's fantastic manicotti recipe uses homemade crepes, but we're not even Italian. I never make it because it's so much work.
This is how I make them. It is not so much a lot of work as it is time consuming, but such a satisfying dish to serve!

Old 09-03-2016, 03:25 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
And I'm still waiting for a recipe from Ste68!! Are you going to post some or not?

Old 09-03-2016, 03:40 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cutie View Post
You must be my twin separated at birth!
I LOVE octopus when prepared properly.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I think we can all agree that there is no unanimous opinion on what country has the "Best In The World!"

We all have different tastes and different opinions. It's like saying 'X' is the most beautiful woman in the world, or 'Y' is the best city in the world, or 'Z' is the smartest man in the world.

What we can say is this: Italian food is so beloved all over the world that you can find Italian restaurants in nearly every country in the world. Italian dishes are served in the finest hotels and fanciest cruise ships. Yes, there are people who would rank other cuisines above Italian - but there are many people who put Italian in the #1 spot.

Let me say something about classical or Cordon Bleu French cuisine.

Years ago I had a good friend and roommate who was a professional chef - a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America - which is considered by many the premier cooking school in the US. More recently I had a tenant who was a student at The Restaurant School At Walnut Hill College in Philadelphia, also highly regarded in the culinary industry. Both individuals had to master French cooking, appreciation of French wines, make trips to France, and so on.

Most Americans cannot appreciate French cuisine. Firstly, only the larger cities would even have a French restaurant. Secondly it is often very costly and considered very fancy, something many Americans regard with disdain. Very few people have heard of Escoffier or even James Beard but I think many people have at least heard of Julia Child.

Classical French food is really exquisite. It is chefs trained in French cooking that prepare banquets in the White House, Buckingham Palace, and the very finest of the 5 star hotels around the world. The French have a history of Royalty and Imperial nobility that spans centuries and their cooking is highly evolved and complicated, often using the most expensive ingredients. Famous dishes like Boeuf Wellington, Poulet a la Kiev, Canard a l'Orange, and Homard a l'Americaine are inventions by French chefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink