Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromNY View Post
There used to be oven directions on frozen White Castles. Place a few on a broiler tray, with a little water in the drip pan. Cover with foil and put in the oven. Don't ask me what temperature or how long.
Why THANK YOU, kind sir!! I will try that!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 08:33 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I have to admit that my micro wave aka reactor is a 29.99 special and resides in a kitchen cabinet. It is used to head tortillias for breakfast burritos and an occasional bag of popcorn.

Trishramsandy - can you please post some details about the burrito you started the thread about?
El Monterey frozen breakfast burrito.

I'd be interested in people's age/job situation when it comes to using the oven for everything. I've got to take two kids to school/daycare (after feeding/dressing them) and then drive 45 miles to work. I'd have to wake up at 5 in the morning if I wanted to cook that burrito in the oven.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
I use my microwave, stovetop and oven almost daily. I'm no microwave hater .

Some things obviously are better in the oven. I use the microwave more to just heat up stuff that's already cooked or to melt cheese, chocolate, etc. I boil water in an electric kettle. Too risky to remove a cup of boiling water from my microwave--it's over the range and I'm too short!

A microwave's just another tool in the kitchen. Like my toaster, can opener, sous vide oven, etc.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The microwave is for heating water.
My whistling tea kettle is for heating water.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Microwaving water for tea: Why are the results so lousy?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I don't even use the micrwave we have and I would never dream of doing any actual cooking in a microwave.
I'll take 4 burners, an oven and a broiler over a microwave at any given moment.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't even use the micrwave we have and I would never dream of doing any actual cooking in a microwave.
I'll take 4 burners, an oven and a broiler over a microwave at any given moment.
And an extra 32 minutes of lost time?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 AM

724 posts, read 593,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I prefer fresh raw materials to start. Minimal canned. Never pre-prepared meals. I can grill or broil in the oven quicker than a George Foreman grill. Oven heats quickly and I use a cast iron piece which grills or broils quickly.

Veggies are steamed or sauteed or raw. Depending on the type.

Go home for lunch every day. Food cooked and eaten well within 60minutes.
^^^this exactly. Don't have a microwave, don't really need one. I grew up with my mom working 2 jobs to support my sister and I. I've had my fair share of unevenly cooked, soggy crap out of a microwave. If you can't find 30min in your day to cook or heat up a decent meal, then, maybe, it's time to evaluate your life choices.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:39 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Microwave comes in handy for defrosting and reheating, it doesn't get much use otherwise.

We reheat leftover pizza on a stove-top skillet. Faster than the oven, and much, much better than microwaving.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And an extra 32 minutes of lost time?
My day has NEVER been that packed that it would be that big of a difference. You asked about age and circumstances in another post, here you go:

Currently, it's just my husband and I - however from 1990 until 2008, I worked outside the home, spent about twelve hours away between work and commuting, raised my son (part of that time as a single parent, part of that time raising my husband's son as well who was diabetic so I had to learn a whole new way to cook) and I didn't use the microwave to make dinners. Sorry (and I'm NOT trying to brag) - I MADE time to do what had to be done. Every dinner doesn't need to take forever to prepare - we saved those for weekends.

Make a big batch of French Toast over the weekend - freeze the slices then throw them in the toaster in the morning during the week - makes a nice hot breakfast when combined with some Brown & Serve sausages - that's something my youngest learned to make by himself when he was 10.

There's nothing wrong with a casserole or two during the work and school week, and there's nothing wrong with using some convenience foods at times. There's nothing wrong with Sloppy Joe's and some type of vegetable for dinner - that takes FAR under 32 minutes - and the kids can help (my oldest is a chef now, my youngest CAN cook, but lacks the motivation). There's no law that says you have to BBQ or grill out on weekends only either. And convenience foods now and then won't hurt anyone.

Also, if it takes 32 minutes to prepare a dinner, those 32 minutes aren't "lost" - you aren't doing nothing I would hope. Those are times you help with homework, or run a load of laundry (which you fold while watching TV), or pick up a room, or take a shower and change.

I'm sure it's just a failing on my part, but I can't wrap my mind around the concept that someone doesn't have "time" to cook on a regular stove or in an oven. It doesn't have to be a time sink, and if it is, then it's the fault of the chef, not a function of time in my opinion.

Go ahead - rip me to shreds - I have a feeling that my opinion will be far from popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink