Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times

Advertisements

I just cooked a breakfast burrito in the microwave. In looking at the cooking times, it was 90 seconds for the microwave . . . but it was 36 minutes for the oven. Who is doing that??? Even if oven cooking cooks it better, does it taste 34 1/2 minutes better???

Is there any simple microwavable food that you cook in the oven instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
People without microwaves I guess. My MIL refused to have one until just 2 or 3 years ago and then only begrudgingly.

I only opt for the oven if I think there is a large risk the food will get soggy being cooked in the microwave.

I have to admit though I basically buy no prepackaged convenience foods unless you want to count frozen vegetables. My microwave still gets plenty of use defrosting bread/rolls and reheating leftovers.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
I do not have a microwave so oven use is a regular item. Do not like the taste of food cooked in the microwave.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:49 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not have a microwave so oven use is a regular item. Do not like the taste of food cooked in the microwave.
Does it influence what you buy and eat or do you just wait the time necessary?

Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I do not have a microwave so I use the oven for everything.

Using the oven to heat a frozen burrito brings it from a D+ to a C. It may well be worth the extra half an hour.

If I feel I really can't wait 30 minutes to eat, I have a piece of fruit, cheese, or something in the meantime.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 AM

I prefer fresh raw materials to start. Minimal canned. Never pre-prepared meals. I can grill or broil in the oven quicker than a George Foreman grill. Oven heats quickly and I use a cast iron piece which grills or broils quickly.

Veggies are steamed or sauteed or raw. Depending on the type.

Go home for lunch every day. Food cooked and eaten well within 60minutes.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I just cooked a breakfast burrito in the microwave. In looking at the cooking times, it was 90 seconds for the microwave . . . but it was 36 minutes for the oven. Who is doing that??? Even if oven cooking cooks it better, does it taste 34 1/2 minutes better???

Is there any simple microwavable food that you cook in the oven instead?
I have a microwave, and there are a number of things that I will choose to put in the oven, if I'm not in a hurry. It's not like it's active cooking time. I put it in the oven and walk away. I rarely think to myself "I need to eat in 90 seconds!" Really, my thought process is more like "I'm starting to get hungry. If I put something in the oven now, I'll be ready to eat by the time it's done." And the quality is ALWAYS better.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I have a microwave, and there are a number of things that I will choose to put in the oven, if I'm not in a hurry. It's not like it's active cooking time. I put it in the oven and walk away. I rarely think to myself "I need to eat in 90 seconds!" Really, my thought process is more like "I'm starting to get hungry. If I put something in the oven now, I'll be ready to eat by the time it's done." And the quality is ALWAYS better.
Always

Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Always
Agreed.

I don't, and won't, make food in a microwave. Period. Husband uses it all the time - I would just as soon get it out of the darn house.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
All the microwave does is heat it up. Yes the taste is so much better when it is cooked. Take pizza for example. Many people heat it up in the microwave to get it warm. It seems a bit soft to me. I prefer to heat it in the oven. We will have pizza by the pool and it will get cold. The best thing ever is to place it on the grill and warm it up. You can not even compare a microwave warmed pizza up to the taste of pizza off the grill. While we are talking pizza, frozen pizza taste so much better out of the oven than out of the microwave.

I really don't even understand how you can make a breakfast burrito in the microwave. I usually cook the eggs, put some meat on the frying pan, grill some onions and peppers with the meat, toss in some refried beans and heat that up, maybe some rice or even potatoes, heat up the tortilla on the flat grill, while that is heating up grate some cheese and then assemble the burrito. If you put it in the microwave how does that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink