Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I've heard that about fgt before. A regional traditional food that doesn't actually taste all that great.

I'm wondering if it was a Depression-era food that came out of not being able to wait for a tomato to ripen? I'm not sure. Tomatoes have too much water to fry anyways.
Fried green tomatoes was one of 2 foods that my mother ate during the Depression that she absolutely refused to ever make when I was a kid, in the 50s. They had them in the fall, when the first frost hit, because they couldn't afford to waste food & the ones that got fried were unlikely to ripen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
...Everyone who thinks fried green tomatoes are tasty should try the same recipe with red, ripe tomatoes.
I did. It doesn't work - they turn into a mushy mess. However, we do griddle fry them as part of a proper British "Mixed Grill."

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 09-04-2016 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 10:11 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Not everyone can make a good fried green tomato, but boy oh boy when you bite into a good one - Katie bar the door!

Old 09-05-2016, 05:57 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
And if you don't want to fry them you can produce a similar taste effect by layering them in a greased casserole with dots of butter, seasoning and cracker crumbs and baking them covered in a moderate oven. Uncover for the last fifteen minutes.

When we'd take the kids along camping on Labor Day I used to make a throwaway pie pan of these covered with tin foil to put on the grill. I used Italian seasoning and sprinkled Parmesan between the layers as well. Very pizza-like.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Let's try something analogous: "I tried cooking a lobster at home. Meh. Don't know what all the fuss is about."

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When the movie came out, I tried them once. That was enough.
You're from Oregon. What do people in Oregon know about making fried green tomatoes?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After years of wondering what they taste like i finally made them according to this recipe=
Fried Green Tomatoes | MyRecipes.com
While they came out looking good with a nice crispy crust no one in the family liked them, i'm guessing its an acquired taste that i wont be making again to acquire that taste.

Omit the cornmeal. Garlic salt adds extra flavor. Also, add a side of goat cheese and ketchup.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I never understood fried green tomatoes, and I have had them from southern kitchens and fine restaurants.

They taste so much better when you make them with red, ripe tomatoes.

Everyone who thinks fried green tomatoes are tasty should try the same recipe with red, ripe tomatoes.
I have. Too mushy. It's the firmness and the tanginess of FGT that I love. A little ketchup, a little Tabasco sauce or horseradish sauce....um um.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I did. It doesn't work - they turn into a mushy mess. However, we do griddle fry them as part of a proper British "Mixed Grill."
I have done ripe on the griddle, just to sear and heat them through or under the broiler. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Not everyone can make a good fried green tomato, but boy oh boy when you bite into a good one - Katie bar the door!
Best post on here ! Sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
And if you don't want to fry them you can produce a similar taste effect by layering them in a greased casserole with dots of butter, seasoning and cracker crumbs and baking them covered in a moderate oven. Uncover for the last fifteen minutes.

When we'd take the kids along camping on Labor Day I used to make a throwaway pie pan of these covered with tin foil to put on the grill. I used Italian seasoning and sprinkled Parmesan between the layers as well. Very pizza-like.
Now, this sounds really good and to be eaten outside, oh, the joy.....<s> maybe with some fresh caught fish that had been lightly fried.... I think I just fainted from hunger....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're from Oregon. What do people in Oregon know about making fried green tomatoes?
This was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink