Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times

Advertisements

Today I prepared a slow cooker chicken meal using bone-in chicken pieces. As the pan drippings are important to the sauce, and skin on chicken is kind of nasty without being browned it was a step I couldn't skip. That being said I had to get up 20 minutes early before work to start the process. In one way it ruined the convenience factor of the crock pot. On the other hand my family still had a nice home cooked meal with little effort after work.

Would it be safe to brown chicken the night before and refrigerate until the next morning for the slow cooker? Instinct tells me this is not a good idea but I can't find a conclusive answer after searching. I don't usually make crock pot recipes that require browning so I'm normally able to throw the dish together the night before and just throw it in the slow cooker before heading out the door.

I know some people look down on slow cookers, but it is an easy way to get a home cooked meal on the table during the workweek instead of relying on convenience foods or McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I never brown chicken before I put it in the crock pot. I remove the skin before cooking though.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:53 PM

148 posts, read 377,272 times
I don't see why you could not brown the chicken the night before. Just let it cool a little before refrigerating.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M&J View Post
I don't see why you could not brown the chicken the night before. Just let it cool a little before refrigerating.
To be clear I wouldn't be cooking it through the night before. I'm just concerned with bringing the interior temperature of the chicken up into the "danger zone" without going beyond it to a safe temperature. The interior would warm but not cook and then go back in the fridge. I can see arguments from either side and why they might make sense. I'm hoping someone might have a trustworthy source that says either this is or isn't okay.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Absolutely safe as long as it is in the fridge overnight. I would think it would be no less safe than putting raw chicken in the crockpot.

Personally, I see no reason to leave skin on for the crockpot because it just turns out mushy and gets tossed. I peel off the skin before cooking and toss it or make cracklins.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
The only thing chicken in a crock pot is good for is soup or something like chicken and dumplings, IMO. Chicken in a crock pot always tastes like boiled chicken. Yes, you can spruce it up with sauces but it's still boiled chicken.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The only thing chicken in a crock pot is good for is soup or something like chicken and dumplings, IMO. Chicken in a crock pot always tastes like boiled chicken. Yes, you can spruce it up with sauces but it's still boiled chicken.
I agree with this..

slow cooker do tend to steam/boil/simmer

chicken skin is great when crisp with dry heat..... much like bacon

as one poster said,,,,you can take the skin off

Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input but I wasn't really looking for opinions on the merits of chicken in the crock pot.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Chicken is not a good protein for crockpots, period.

Stick with tough cuts of beef/pork/lamb....last time I used my crockpot was for goat, and it was excellent!

Old 08-30-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Exactly.

Chicken is not a good protein for crockpots, period.

Stick with tough cuts of beef/pork/lamb....last time I used my crockpot was for goat, and it was excellent!
As I said to the other poster, this opinion was not asked for in the post. I enjoy many chicken dishes in the crock pot. You don't. Both opinions are fine.

Do you have any useful information about whether or not it is safe to brown chicken the night before and refrigerate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink