Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
...I'm totally confused by how this restaurant served your steak. What cut was it? Obviously that's going to make a difference in texture and fat content, so maybe that will shed some light on their thinking? I'm picturing that they sliced - with the grain (gasp) - the seared+seasoned portions of the steak off, then sliced essentially rare steak slices for you, against the grain? I have never, ever seen Wagyu (or any steak) treated that way. Seems totally counterproductive, regardless of the cut...
They heavy-seared the cross-grain ends of the steak, then they sliced the entire portion cross-grain, giving me two slices of seared meat and the rest were rare.
Quote:
...I also think it's strange (dare I say, incorrect?) that the chef was so adamant about putting very little heat on the steak. I'm a med-rare steak eater (like you, I eat beef med-rare or raw), but I think Wagyu often needs a touch more heat. The fat needs to melt and render a bit in order to be most pleasant. Medium is actually great for a lot of cuts of Wagyu. I'm sure there are those who would disagree, but I like the texture to be melt-in-my-mouth, not like eating a stick of butter...
That's why I was asking for opinions from others. I found the seared slices to be much more flavorful. The pieces next to the sear were also quite good, as the fat had melted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 05:21 PM

231 posts, read 226,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I didn't have Kobe, I had Japanese Wagyu.
The same rules apply for Wagyu because ALL Japanese beef was banned from the U.S.

Additionally, the word can be used to mean any cattle in Japan.

You can read more here: Forbes Welcome

Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
The same rules apply for Wagyu because ALL Japanese beef was banned from the U.S.

Additionally, the word can be used to mean any cattle in Japan.

You can read more here: Forbes Welcome
I can't figure out why you're determined to share this article, which is nearly 3 years old. Not only did I address the Kobe/Wagyu counterfeits in an earlier post, but Japanese Wagyu is currently available in most major U.S. cities. Dirt Grinder ate said Wagyu last weekend. He also specified that the steak was clearly marbled in such a way that represents what we are referring to when we refer to "Wagyu," not just some random beef from Japan. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get your point or feel like you're addressing a non-issue here.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Iv'e never tried Wagyu, but would like too. that said there is a documentary about beef that might prove interesting to some of you.
It is currently on Netflix I believe.
Steak Revolution Documentary Film

One of the more interesting steaks was from a cow almost 14+ years old.

bill

Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I can't figure out why you're determined to share this article, which is nearly 3 years old. Not only did I address the Kobe/Wagyu counterfeits in an earlier post, but Japanese Wagyu is currently available in most major U.S. cities. Dirt Grinder ate said Wagyu last weekend. He also specified that the steak was clearly marbled in such a way that represents what we are referring to when we refer to "Wagyu," not just some random beef from Japan. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get your point or feel like you're addressing a non-issue here.
It's... not a three year old article? It's literally from July 2016.

I am also not "determined" to share it, though I find it interesting you seem determined not to read it. I know if I were paying a premium for beef, I would certainly want to know where it came from, that I was not being scammed (which the majority of Japanese beef buyers in the U.S. are). But, there's a sucker born every day... if you don't mind paying for Wagyu beef but not eating it, then go ahead. It's certainly no sweat off my back.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
It's... not a three year old article? It's literally from July 2016...
No, it's from Jan 7, 2014.
Quote:
...I know if I were paying a premium for beef, I would certainly want to know where it came from, that I was not being scammed...
Well, they told me it was Japanese Wagyu, it was most-certainly Wagyu, and it tasted great. I knew I'd have to run the gauntlet of those who thrive on negativity when I started this thread, so you got your whack.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:

Well, they told me it was Japanese Wagyu, it was most-certainly Wagyu, and it tasted great. I knew I'd have to run the gauntlet of those who thrive on negativity when I started this thread, so you got your whack.
some people just like to think they are the smartest person in the room

I just may give this beef a try ...now I'm more curious,,,im in the meat business,,,,
maybe I should bring some in to the stores....it would make the choice rib eyes and tenderloin look more of a bargain!!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:

You clearly did not read the article, as you would have seen UPDATE July 2016 bolded, only about a paragraph down.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It may or may not have been Wagyu. You seem to want to be uninformed about whether you ate the real thing or not- so if it makes you feel better to believe you ate the real thing, as so many Americans have when presented with Kobe sliders on the lunch special, then have at it.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
You clearly did not read the article, as you would have seen UPDATE July 2016 bolded, only about a paragraph down.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It may or may not have been Wagyu. You seem to want to be uninformed about whether you ate the real thing or not- so if it makes you feel better to believe you ate the real thing, as so many Americans have when presented with Kobe sliders on the lunch special, then have at it.
so many americans????

you work for cnn with this attitude??

dirt grinder is a well respected member in this forum...and quite knowledgeable

no need to be a leg humper

Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
Quote:
It's... not a three year old article? It's literally from July 2016.

I am also not "determined" to share it, though I find it interesting you seem determined not to read it. I know if I were paying a premium for beef, I would certainly want to know where it came from, that I was not being scammed (which the majority of Japanese beef buyers in the U.S. are). But, there's a sucker born every day... if you don't mind paying for Wagyu beef but not eating it, then go ahead. It's certainly no sweat off my back.
I didn't mean any offense, bumble. It's just that you shared it twice (seems determined). However, no, only one sentence in the article was a recent update. That's all. (See, I did read it.) The funny (ironic?) thing is, the single, updated sentence is talking about greater distribution in the U.S. now (specific to Kobe. I can tell you, for certain, that the availability of Wagyu in a "Kobe-style" - whether from Japan, Australia, EU, or domestically raised - is even more prevalent now, as I posted earlier.). The article was written in January 2014 and the dates referenced regarding Kobe imports (August 2012), reflect that. As I said, I also previously posted, in pretty good detail, about the potential counterfeits. I'm certainly not arguing about whether they're out there. Of course they are. As I tried to point out in my previous post, culinarily speaking, with a small amount of experience with Wagyu (I happen to have more than a small amount), you can see and taste counterfeit vs. the real thing. Without experience, people are definitely susceptible to being duped. Your article, in fact, describes the hybrids (which I already posted about: American "wangu") as tailored to more closely suit the standard, American steak style. Dirt Grinder described a steak that was clearly Wagyu. I have enough personal experience with beef (including Wagyu) to know the difference, and I know that DG is certainly savvy enough to discern it, as well. He would have known if it was not Wagyu.

Sorry to veer off the path of the original post, DG. Sheesh, we can never just have a straight conversation about food on these threads. It's funny that NO ONE else has actually just answered your questions, or talked about steak preparation, instead of side-noting into policy and industry. Back to the beef!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink