Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post

I didn't read the entire thread, and I am sorry if someone already mentioned this, but in 2008 when our economy went to crap, the chefs from French Laundry and Alinea collaborated to create a dining experience that was $1500? $1800? per person. Two of the menu items were coffee-scented air and butterscotch flavored bacon. Believe me, I appreciate art, and I know that there was molecular cuisine and some other expensive techniques involved, but if I may be a knuckle-dragging freak for just a second, I don't see how that is worth $1800. I can do my jaunt to NYC many times over and enjoy my fave Korean and Ethiopian restaurants, plus take in a museum and sit and enjoy a bubble tea. But that's just me.
Um, the meal was paired with wines . . .

The pheasant with burning oak leaves was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Read my answer to the above poster. I don't care what people spend their money on. What I was trying to say and apparently it was taken out of context is that the people who would spend lots of money on a gourmet meal are most likely the same people who would spend a lot of money on a designer purse or sunglasses. You're not going to find your average blue collar worker spending $500 on a meal.

What does annoy me are pretentious people: the kind that has to make sure everyone knows their sunglasses cost $200, their new purse cost $8000 and dinner last night was $500 for two people. That is not classy behavior, that is a person desperately seeking validation.

Gee, some of you are so sensitive and ready to start an argument.
No. No, no, no. I don't buy designer purses or sunglasses. I like good food. Really, really good food. Sometimes it's inexpensive or moderately priced. Sometimes it's quite expensive. I don't need any more things.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:09 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Dinner tonight was an 8 oz. prime ribeye, grilled over mesquite charcoal to a perfect medium rare, two ears of corn on the cob swimming in fresh creamery butter, and sliced garden fresh vine ripened tomatoes topped with just a little balsamic vinaigrette. To me, that is the definition of gourmet food. The table was well set with flowers, and my wife, whom I love dearly, was across the table from me. It doesn't get any better than that.
That's a very good (not healthy) dinner and I'm sure it was very enjoyable. That is very similar to what we eat (we tend towards more healthy fare though).

It's not what we would consider gourmet though, because it is a typical dinner that doesn't require much time to prepare. Good food though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-10-2016, 01:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I start to cringe a little when the cost of a meal gets close to $20. Most often our check for 2 is about $20, maybe a little over including a tip. If we have a steak, it's usually a chain restaurant and often there is a discount coupon.

The statements about appreciation of fine expensive gourmet that some people make should be prequalified by income level. If I had a meal for 2 that cost over $300, I would remember it the rest of my life too, but not for the food quality or ambiance.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:35 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a very good (not healthy) dinner and I'm sure it was very enjoyable. That is very similar to what we eat (we tend towards more healthy fare though).

It's not what we would consider gourmet though, because it is a typical dinner that doesn't require much time to prepare. Good food though.
That can take a while to prepare properly. You don't just take the steaks out of the refrigerator and smack them on a grill.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:35 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
I'm not into it but I've enjoyed watching chef shows now and then, mainly because it is so different from my world and I like to see how they do what they do.

The chefs and judges would probably faint if they saw the stuff I fix!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Um, the meal was paired with wines . . .

The pheasant with burning oak leaves was amazing.
There are some people that are into this sort of thing. That's fine. For me, I don't care what the meal is paired with, or that it came with a signed copy of their book. I get that there is a pizza out there that costs $1000 because it has caviar and truffles on it. If I am going to spend upwards of $1000 on something, I had better be able to live in it or drive it. Don't get me wrong, if it's worth it to you, enjoy. I am just saying that it is not worth it to me.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:53 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
In Boston, where I live, the most expensive meal in town is the Omakase at O-Ya, which is Japanese. Is that "ethnic"?

LOL, no, Alinea was not (and is still not) $1800. It's south of $300. Wine pairings can certainly jack up the price of the meal, but that's true of any national chain steakhouse as well.
Forgive me, I got it wrong. It was Per Se, and it was $1500.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...for-1500/?_r=0

Old 09-10-2016, 08:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
That was a special, limited 20-course event prepared by 2 celebrity chefs, not the normal cost to dine at Per Se.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Different people have different tastes in food and while gourmet food isnt my thing i can understand some people really enjoy the experience,for me i dont get how people can eat raw oysters or caviar or on the other hand stuff themselves sick at the Golden Coral. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink