Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I seem to recall that there is an actual psychological phenomenon that explains this. Something about the brain's knowledge of the deconstructed ingredients as opposed to encountering a complete, unified dish changes your actual sensory perception of the flavors and textures.

I have found that a dish that needs to sit, marinate, or otherwise spend time with flavors maturing, thus creating a delay in eating the food, is far more peasurable than one that is immediately assembled and eaten like a sandwich.

Also, anecdotally, it seems that people who are served food tend to not like leftovers while the cook often prefers them.
What do you base this on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Also, anecdotally, it seems that people who are served food tend to not like leftovers while the cook often prefers them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What do you base this on?
People I have eaten with and comments people have made to me. That is what 'anecdotally' means. I mentioned this data was anecdotal as a disclaimer. It is another way of saying, "Take it with a grain of salt, but..."

Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Yes it's true. Except for soup.

I can make 5 star soups like nobody else (just sayin' ...) but thats about it. Whats weird is that my family actually prefers my cooking to restraunts; just not me.

Of course anything that I don't have to clean up after is going to taste better to me.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:36 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times
I am so glad to hear I am not alone in loving to cook (and being very good at it - practice, practice, practice over the years) but also, having prepared a large or complicated meal for others, is not hungry when we finally get to the table. I find it often takes me about 30 minutes (and a glass of wine doesn't hurt either) to 'come down' enough after the flurry in order to enjoy my own cooking once it is on the table.

Equally pleased to hear that I am not the only one who adores cooking but hates the cleaning up part afterward.

Do I like my own cooking however more than I like that of others? I think that depends on who is doing that cooking and how good a cook they are. But, I always appreciate their efforts, no matter what, and because I love to cook and hate to clean up, that is the one time I don't mind cleaning up either - for someone else who has cooked for me. I do (generally) like my own cooking though - and that is a good thing these days because I rarely have anyone to cook for any more, and no one has ever really done much cooking for me over the years either.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:39 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
No. I'd put my or my girl's cooking up against most. However, there are times when a restaurant simply knocks it out of the park. In those cases, I use the dining experience as an educational one as well.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
That's why I rarely go out to eat, and when I do, it has to be something special that I can't make better at home myself.

That said, one of my favorite sayings is "a sandwich always tastes better when someone else makes it".

Old 09-10-2016, 02:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I think it does! Because I didn't have to do all the work!!!!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 PM

129 posts, read 78,235 times
For me, it depends. I love the food I cook because it is "clean" and nutritious and full of flavor and healthy ...

I also love it when someone else takes the time to prepare a wonderful meal. It doesn't have to be fancy. Simple is fine.

The best of all possibilities is when my Mom prepares a meal - whether it's a full-on Italian feast or a tomato sandwich. Everything she makes is amazing. We live on opposite coasts, so when I visit, I do lots of extra eating.

Old 09-10-2016, 03:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess I am the odd man or gal out: In most situations enjoy my cooking better than others. Sure, like everyone I love going out to a decent place to eat and love when others do the cooking, giving me a break, but I happen to really enjoy my own cooking. I don't even mind all the prep. What do have is the clean up.

This doesn't mean I do not enjoy others efforts or I want to cook all the meals, 7 days a week, 3 times a day. It also doesn't mean there are not some dishes others do much better than me, whether friends or my favorite restaurant and I have lots of dishes I will never learn to perfect, dishes I would much rather have someone else prepare.
I'm the only one I know who goes on a cruise and loses weight. Yup. Every single cruise - somewhere around 12 of them - and different lines.

I like my own cooking; I prefer to cook.

There are a few dishes I like out - and sometimes it's just 1 item on the menu - like ribs. When done right, I could eat a bunch. If not done "just so", I'll wind up taking them home so my husband can nibble the next day.

I'm picky - and I'm a good cook. So we eat at home more often than not. Hubby is a dear and often cleans up, puts away leftovers (there are ALWAYS leftovers because he likes them - I do not).

Old 09-10-2016, 03:44 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I love eating the foods that I cook, and am a bit hesitant to try others' cooking as I've had so many mixed experiences with that (from terrible to outstanding flavors). Even in the rare occasions when my meals aren't as tasty as I'd like, they are still generally edible and flavorful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink