U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 09:19 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,525,011 times

Advertisements

I do most of the cooking at home and always find something I could do better. My wife laughs and says it was perfect.

I heard the expression above, (it was regarding a sandwich but believe it applies to other meal types), so thought to ask how you good folks feel about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:40 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,941,316 times
In my own opinion, absolutely! I'm a good cook, but I'll tell you something - when I put a big spread on that I've worked for hours on (think something like a large, family Thanksgiving), by the time it hits the table I want NO part of it.

Additionally, in a non-restaurant setting, I associate someone making food for me a sign of love - an effort to make me happy, and that they CARE about me enough to try to make me happy if that makes any sense - I think it's one of the biggest reasons that nothing to me tastes as good as when my mother makes it.

Finally, in a restaurant setting, it's very easy for me to actually enjoy the food, and not having worked on preparing it (goes back to the first paragraph. )

Old 09-09-2016, 09:44 AM

7,796 posts, read 10,209,367 times
It is true in a way. Often I feel guilty knowing a sauce or soup has lots of fats, calories, sugars, and I do know it if I have created it. but if someone else has made it and it tastes really good I don't worry about those things. Don't ask, don't tell!

Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 AM

11,463 posts, read 23,406,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
In my own opinion, absolutely! I'm a good cook, but I'll tell you something - when I put a big spread on that I've worked for hours on (think something like a large, family Thanksgiving), by the time it hits the table I want NO part of it.

Additionally, in a non-restaurant setting, I associate someone making food for me a sign of love - an effort to make me happy, and that they CARE about me enough to try to make me happy if that makes any sense - I think it's one of the biggest reasons that nothing to me tastes as good as when my mother makes it.

Finally, in a restaurant setting, it's very easy for me to actually enjoy the food, and not having worked on preparing it (goes back to the first paragraph. )
That's exactly how I feel. My husband thinks it's because I nibble while I cook, but I don't. I used to taste things as I was learning to make them, but now I know exactly what I need to put into everything and I don't need to taste any of it to make it come out right.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM

25,265 posts, read 27,304,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Then, after spending all that time hustling to make sure everything is ready and right, after 30 minutes it's all gone.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 PM

45,883 posts, read 65,443,270 times
If you are a lousy cook - yes
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:57 PM

41,669 posts, read 51,573,621 times
I always enjoy food cooked by somone else and Im a good cook. I Think we cooks appreciate the work of others, and we are interested in a slightly different take on the most basic foods.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:41 AM

19,313 posts, read 26,018,681 times
outside of the squirrelly and ocd eaters,,, I think most people like to sit and enjoy the meal instead of thinking they are responsible for everyone elses food/eating experience..

I think that's why many go out to eat at holidays

on one family gathering a few of us threw in 20.00 each and we got a take out buffet food...
this worked out well, because the host was so wound and worked up about the food,,,she could not enjoy herself and others had to drink to tolerate her

I don't think its just the taste of the food,,,there's so many other dynamics around eating..

I can go to most cookouts and technically it may not be as good - they may buy cheaper steaks or buy pink slime burger at Walmart,,,
I just try to enjoy myself and appreciate whatever food is there

Old 09-10-2016, 04:51 AM

77,813 posts, read 92,127,574 times
I guess I am the odd man or gal out: In most situations enjoy my cooking better than others. Sure, like everyone I love going out to a decent place to eat and love when others do the cooking, giving me a break, but I happen to really enjoy my own cooking. I don't even mind all the prep. What do have is the clean up.

This doesn't mean I do not enjoy others efforts or I want to cook all the meals, 7 days a week, 3 times a day. It also doesn't mean there are not some dishes others do much better than me, whether friends or my favorite restaurant and I have lots of dishes I will never learn to perfect, dishes I would much rather have someone else prepare.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:02 AM

19,313 posts, read 26,018,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess I am the odd man or gal out: In most situations enjoy my cooking better than others. Sure, like everyone I love going out to a decent place to eat and love when others do the cooking, giving me a break, but I happen to really enjoy my own cooking. I don't even mind all the prep. What do have is the clean up.

This doesn't mean I do not enjoy others efforts or I want to cook all the meals, 7 days a week, 3 times a day. It also doesn't mean there are not some dishes others do much better than me, whether friends or my favorite restaurant and I have lots of dishes I will never learn to perfect, dishes I would much rather have someone else prepare.

you make a good point here,,,as did another poster..
the act of prepping and cooking ... is also not only a contribution to family... (gatherings) but a gift...

Ive had grandmothers that wouldn't think about going out to eat,,,it was a labor of love, as it was for generations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink