Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Once per week 36 36.00%
Twice per week 21 21.00%
More than twice per week, I love it. 14 14.00%
No pork on my fork 29 29.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 11:00 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And just how do you know that salmon, shrimp, clams, and lobsters are not sentient animals? You don't, that's how. You've never asked them directly if they think or if they feel pain.
I never asked any of the animals lol. But i've studied quite a bit. I have many reasons for eating what i eat. That's just how i happened to word it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:02 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Now if I give a commentary in the vegan thread

I get dinged for trolling

Funny how this goes one way
I wasnt telling anyone else what to eat tho. I did a lot of reading, which i do anyway - I was retired then and had more time to study. I'm studying lots of subjects, and our food supply happened to be the first one.

And i'm not a vegan

Old 09-18-2016, 12:51 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And just how do you know that salmon, shrimp, clams, and lobsters are not sentient animals? You don't, that's how. You've never asked them directly if they think or if they feel pain.
With shellfish, regardless of its mental capacity, my main objection is that it's oftentimes cooked alive. I feel bad for pigs, but it's different.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
I don't know how to answer the poll question. It varies is all I can say. Not sure I could even tell you 'on average' over a year's timeframe.

I don't plan my menus according to a calendar week. I plan them according to what 'feel like eating' and 'can find or have on hand' that particular day. Sometimes I buy a pound of pork (usually as 'organic' as I can get it), grind it up and make Thai food or some other spicy meal with it. But, that pound cooked that way may last me all week - or till I get sick of it. I have a tenderloin in the freezer now that I need to throw out because it has been there way too long.

But, I like pork and if I was feeding a family it would be on the table a fair bit. Can't recall the last time I bought sausages or bacon however.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:35 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,929,893 times
1-2x per week. I never understood why pork (outside of religious reasons) just never seems as popular as beef or chicken. Pork is probably my most favorite type of meat out them all. There are so many delicious pork based products too if you think it about it ranging from the very best types of cured meats, sausages, and pates to what we love to bbq such as ribs and pulled pork. Hands down my most favorite type of meat.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
I am big on the pig.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Personally, wild sow is better than wild boar. Some of the boars will have a musky taint. But, that can be worked around with spices in the sausage and such. Almost all our pork is feral pig, it's considered helpful vermin eradication for us to eat them. Since they come in all sizes, only the larger ones are cut into chops.

Depending on how many we've trapped lately, we will go from almost no pork per week to pork almost every meal. At the moment, there's half a pig in the freezer, I may thaw that out and do a porkfest for the next couple of weeks. Although, probably that will wait a week or two until after we make guava jam and guava sauce when my friend gets back from the mainland next week since pork goes really well with guava sauce. Hmm, maybe we should make an imu (underground oven) and do luau pig?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
In Asia, pork is consider premium meat over beef and chicken and even fish.

Japanese use pork fat to make ramen stock, tonkatsu or fried pork chop is a popular dish.

China uses pork probably more than any other types of protein. Every part of the pig is edible and not wasted.

My favorite is pork belly grilled with Korean BBQ sauce.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Too bad there is not a "when ever" on the question. We seldom buy pork as such but often (not regularly) enjoy bacon or sausage with breakfast.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
It might average out to once a week but I doubt if it would be more. I buy a ham twice a year. I have a baked dish made with pork chops that I really like and make maybe once a year. I get bacon on sandwiches I buy from delis, but I don't remember the last time I cooked bacon at home. At a barbecue place I might get pulled pork, but most of the time I opt for brisket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink