Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times

Advertisements

I'm moving soon and will have a smooth top stove. I'd heard before I'd need special cookware, but didn't quite believe it... The numerous horror stories I've been reading just give me the creeps and don't look forward to this pain in the rear at all. Since when did even simple cooking become rocket science?! Occasionally you see some happy reviews, but most people complain. As you can imagine, I'm not some big-time chef, but haven't had any problems with pots, pans, and stoves so far in my life.

Ellen's Kitchen

There are already plenty of tips online as to how to take care of the darn thing, but I'd really appreciate some suggestions on cookware sets (preferably with the exact name and/or link to the product) that have worked for you. Even read that some requirements are brand-specific... Haven't read the manual yet. Do they all have the same size eyes? Probably not...why would they... Because I'm reading that the size of the pans and pots has to be within 1/2 inch of the size of the burner.

Please help! SOS! Seems like I'll have to be on a microwave/grill diet until I have enough time to research another rocket science. It appears that none of my existing cookware will work. For now perhaps will buy just buy one or two flat-bottom items until I figure it out. Hopefully the microwave is not too fancy and even if it is, I still have my good ol' one that's been working for years just fine. Most likely won't lose any weight , but still wanna use the stove...

Oh, is it really true that if you take something hot out of the oven and place it on the top, the top will crack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I've had a smoothtop stove for years and years and there is no special cookware needed. I love it.

The only time things got messy was when something spilled over before I knew it. And then, you just clean it up, no problem. In fact it's easier to clean than the stoves with burners that have to be picked up and removed, and cleaned underneath if something spills over. You'll love it, and it looks nice too.

best,
toodie

Old 02-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I've had a smoothtop stove for years and years and there is no special cookware needed. I love it.

The only time things got messy was when something spilled over before I knew it. And then, you just clean it up, no problem. In fact it's easier to clean than the stoves with burners that have to be picked up and removed, and cleaned underneath if something spills over. You'll love it, and it looks nice too.

best,
toodie
Glad somebody likes it. So far most like the look alone (I do, too), but the look doesn't cook... Did you see the thread I posted above? Are the bottoms of your pots and pans at least flat? Seems like everybody agrees with "no ridges."

Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
SierraAZ,
I think it's not a big deal using the stove. I do have pots and pans that are flat on the bottom, but even if there were ridges, the whole bottom of the pot would still get hot and I don't think it would make a difference. But if I were buying cookware, I would buy flat.

The size of the heated round area varies on each burner. I think I have two large and one medium and one small-ish one. Never have paid much attention to using a pot or pan that's the exact size of the heating element. I do remember once thinking, oh, I've been using this pot on the small element, and I could be using the medium one instead, so I switched.

I just use this stove exactly like I would use an older style electric stove with the burners that are really ugly, and have never had any problems.

I really like the way it looks, too. It's like having extra counter space in your kitchen and looks sleek and clean. I don't think it's necessary to be apprehensive over it at all. It's a breeze to use and I have never been unhappy with it.

Any other questions? I'll be checking back later.
best,
toodie

Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
I've had a gas stove, coiled electric, and now a smooth top. I really like my smooth top. It's so easy to clean and I've never had issues with any cookware I've used on it. I mainly use Kitchen-Aid stainless steel cookware, but also use no-stick pans sometimes. They all have smooth bottoms, but I do have a friend who uses ridged bottomed pots and pans on her smooth top with no issues. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
What you you mean by "ridges"? I don't think I've ever seen a pot or pan that wasn't pretty smooth on the bottom.

I have a smooth top electric stove & it doesn't require any special pots. Everything cooks just fine on it. And I often take hot pans out of the oven & put them directly on the stovetop. No problem whatsoever.

Could you be confusing the smooth-top electric stoves with induction cooktops? I know induction stoves require special pots, but they're usually found in restaurants, not private homes.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:13 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
You shouldn't have any problems with your smooth cooktop as long as you have good quality cookware. I did have an old pot that was a bit warped that would not work on my cooktop. I own Calphalon Triply Stainless cookware that works great...

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
What you you mean by "ridges"? I don't think I've ever seen a pot or pan that wasn't pretty smooth on the bottom.

I have a smooth top electric stove & it doesn't require any special pots. Everything cooks just fine on it. And I often take hot pans out of the oven & put them directly on the stovetop. No problem whatsoever.

Could you be confusing the smooth-top electric stoves with induction cooktops? I know induction stoves require special pots, but they're usually found in restaurants, not private homes.
Sometimes I just MIGHT read too much! It's just that the house is brand new and I'd like to keep it in the best shape possible for as long as I can. Besides, I'd rather not replace big-ticket items very often.

No, I'm not getting confused with professional stoves. I've never given ridges a second thought, either. Only noticed them after reading all these opinions that freaked me out. Then I looked at my pans and some do have ridges on the bottom (not totally flat), some don't. At the bottom some have a few concentric circles/ridges around the center whereas others are completely flat. Take a look here if you'd like: Ellen's Kitchen Also, apparently some/most types of cookware are a no-no according to many... So far I've figured that copper is a definite no-no. Not quite clear on the others yet. Seems like stainless steel with flat bottom gets green light for sure. Would be nice to hear about a good (well, not outrageously priced... say up to about $200) brand cookware set.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
You shouldn't have any problems with your smooth cooktop as long as you have good quality cookware. I did have an old pot that was a bit warped that would not work on my cooktop. I own Calphalon Triply Stainless cookware that works great...
Thanks. Will check it out. Many people recommend Calphalon. I just wasn't sure if all their sets meet these requirements. Read good things about Revere, too. Looks like it's less expensive. Again not sure which set exactly would work.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Thanks for the explanation, Sierra. Now that I think about it, I do have a pan with rings on the bottom. I have no problem whatsoever using it on my smooth stovetop. Honestly, I think you're worried about nothing.

Just one more tip: there are special cleaners out there that are made specifically for smooth-top ranges. They're excellent at getting off anything that might spill over and get cooked onto the surface of the stove. Very little elbow grease required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink