Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times

Advertisements

Why are so many having so much trouble cleaning cast iron? Run it through the dishwasher occasionally, use the dishwasher hot dry cycle, remove & give a light rub inside & out with olive oil on paper towel...have done for 30+ years, my cast iron is fine. Not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,170 times
I too am wondering why one would ever even use a scrubbing brush on a cast iron pan. I have never found it necessary .. and I would be concerned that any brush (as would soap) would actually cause one to have to re-season, not prevent having to do that.

That said, I hope your brush is not a metal bristle one. If it is discard it now and never use one again (especially on a grill - they are dangerous because bristle bits fall out and into the food and you may not see them do that. If not, try the CLR or dishwasher cleaning method.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
If the brush is plastic, use spray oven cleaner, let it soak in plastic wrap for an hour, then rinse. If you want it to sparkle, run it through the dishwasher after cleaning.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Run the brush through the dishwasher once in awhile.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:24 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I know. Sorry about that. That's only been used a few times, believe it or not.

I don't know what else cleans cast iron without ruining the seasoning. Do you, WW?
I do a quick wash with a little soap on a sponge RIGHT after I use mine. Just get in the habit of cleaning it right after you use it.

It sounds like you are not cleaning it right away.

Once or twice a year I put a little olive oil on the cast iron when I am drying it--leave it on the heat for about 15 minutes.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The greatest kitchen invention EVER.

https://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Stainl.../dp/B00FKBR1ZG

I refused to cook with cast iron before I found this. I just couldn't get over feeling grossed out by not being able to clean them 'properly'. Now, I have two cast iron pans and they've enhanced and improved my cooking skills dramatically.
Thank you, JK. I was going to buy one, but opted for long brushes with bristles instead because I always clean my cast iron pots/pans when hot & felt safer with a handle. Do you use yours with a glove & just scrub like using a sponge? I see there are loops on the end, so is there a handle attachment that you use? One of the pics on the link you posted shows some sort of handle, but I wasn't sure if that was something that individual rigged up themselves?

Once I'm back home, I'll definitely buy one. It's got fantastic reviews. I'm glad you like yours.

My issue was never with cleaning the pan, but the brush. I blacken food a lot & only use cast iron, so cleaning a hot pan with a bit of boiling water, the brush, then rubbing with oil is my normal routine several times/day. I don't mind doing it, but would like clean implements.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't have a dishwasher & don't use chemicals for many reasons.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
Buy a new one, if "thoroughly" means what I think it does to you. Old school people use nothing more than a piece of burlap to clean cast iron frying pans.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Thank you, JK. I was going to buy one, but opted for long brushes with bristles instead because I always clean my cast iron pots/pans when hot & felt safer with a handle. Do you use yours with a glove & just scrub like using a sponge? I see there are loops on the end, so is there a handle attachment that you use? One of the pics on the link you posted shows some sort of handle, but I wasn't sure if that was something that individual rigged up themselves?

Once I'm back home, I'll definitely buy one. It's got fantastic reviews. I'm glad you like yours.

My issue was never with cleaning the pan, but the brush. I blacken food a lot & only use cast iron, so cleaning a hot pan with a bit of boiling water, the brush, then rubbing with oil is my normal routine several times/day. I don't mind doing it, but would like clean implements.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't have a dishwasher & don't use chemicals for many reasons.
I don't use a handle or gloves. Just scrub with the metal rings and HOT water. I put my ringer in the dishwasher, but it coukd be easily cleaned with soap and hot water.

I also use ghee when I use the cast iron pans. Eliminated the smoke alarms from the smoke entirely.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:

I use the chain scrubber, gently, too. But only if I accidentally scorched. And salt.

Simple to clean, it's stainless.

You can use a wooden spoon/fork/spatula if you want, while you swoosh it around.

I know you're ok with the scrubbing but maybe if you allow a better coating to develop by "seasoning" the pan on the stove after it's clean....and don't use certain oils? Water won't really wash non-polar chemicals like burnt solids in grease.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Buy a new one, if "thoroughly" means what I think it does to you. Old school people use nothing more than a piece of burlap to clean cast iron frying pans.
Great suggestion. I'm going to find some burlap to try. Thank you, Frihed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink