Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
My husband the grill meister's wish list:
(What kills me is my brat already has the starter - he just wants a new one, he has the mitts - he just wants new ones, see where this is going? I tell ya, he keeps coming up with Christmas Wish Lists like this, I'LL give him "Ho Ho Ho"... )
good ideas. I already have the spices on his list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Is it your husband you keep referring to as 'spoiled brat'?
yep, that is the name I have been using for him on here for years; I dont know how it got started, but it has stuck and describes him perfectly. He is a good hubby though or I wouldn't have kept him for almost 60 years.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I suspect the bottom air vents are not open and the coals are starving for air.

I've been a dedicated Weber user for over 30 years.

This is my recipe for great grilling:

Light the coals about 20 - 25 minutes before you intent on grilling, the coals should be gray / white over 90+% of the surface before you put the food on the grill. If you leave the lid open, this will happen quickly, if you leave it shut, it will take more time. I ALWAYS keep the vents on the bottom and on the lid open. The only time I close the bottom vents is after I finished cooking or after the coals burn out completely. The only reason I close the bottom vents is to keep the ashes from falling out. I do use the ash tray on the bottom, but our dog loves to lick the ashes, so I remove the ash tray after the cooking is done - and close the vents to control the mess.

ALWAYS keep the lid on when cooking with the vent open. Adjust the amount of the open vent depending upon how much smokiness you want the food to have.

An accurate way to test for doneness is to press the steak lightly with your fingertip and compare the way it feels to your cheek, chin, and forehead. A rare steak is soft and fleshy like your cheek; fleshy with some resistance, like your chin, is medium; firmer to the touch with more resistance, like your forehead, means it is well done.

The person cooking should be able to do all this with one hand, as the other hand has to hold the beer bottle or the glass of scotch.

BUT PLEASE - NEVER, EVER USE GAS TO GRILL - THE DIFFERENCE IN TASTE IS WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT!
Great post

Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
I love my Weber charcoal grill and have not experienced the problems the OP describes. The manual that comes with the grill (you can download one from Weber) has the basic instructions and great tips.

I just looked at the manual after three years and I've learned something new: don't pull the lid off too quick or it sucks ashes up onto the food. Better to lift it off a little to the side.

Happy grilling!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:32 AM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I love my Weber charcoal grill and have not experienced the problems the OP describes. The manual that comes with the grill (you can download one from Weber) has the basic instructions and great tips.

I just looked at the manual after three years and I've learned something new: don't pull the lid off too quick or it sucks ashes up onto the food. Better to lift it off a little to the side.

Happy grilling!
Thanks for the guide. I'll rep you if I can.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've invited family to my BBQ and they were amazed how flavorful my meats are. I told them smoke is the key and charcoal grill is always better than gas grills. You can't get the smoke flavor with gas. Since then my relatives switched to Weber.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have had our weber cooker for about 2 years and at first it was the best grill spoiled brat had ever had, but lately, unless we can find the problem, we are going to go back to gas i think.

Here is what is happening; no matter how many coals he uses and how long he lets them heat it seems the steaks or whatever are just not cooking. he also wonders if he should be grilling steak with the lid up or down? Remember he isn't a great griller, but this is getting worse every week. We are wondering if the coals he uses are bad? They are top of the line, but old. We bought about 40 lbs at Sam's last year. Last night, after the steak was on about 20 minutes, we ended up just using a hot skillet and browning it off. The flavor was great, but it was still rare as it could be. The rare part worked, especially for me, but the length of time it took to cook was way too long and the grilled veggies never really had a grill texture to them. HELP!!!
OK, as a MASTER charcoal griller I can help.

I have found that keeping the lid about 1" lifted on one end adds good heat without encouraging fire. As to the charcoal, yes it makes a difference. Just use Kingsford and you can't go wrong.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:00 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
OK, as a MASTER charcoal griller I can help.

I have found that keeping the lid about 1" lifted on one end adds good heat without encouraging fire. As to the charcoal, yes it makes a difference. Just use Kingsford and you can't go wrong.

^^^
Actually, this is what we did, now that I think about.

We had the same Weber grill for 25 years, it was lopsided but still did the job...Now I don't like turkey cooked any other way. We left it behind when we left SoCal, I was actually sad about it...but now I feel inspired to get another one....grilling in the rain, yeah!

Nita, try storing your charcoal in one of those plastic storage bins with a snap-on lid. My neighbors do that.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 PM

35,001 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've invited family to my BBQ and they were amazed how flavorful my meats are. I told them smoke is the key and charcoal grill is always better than gas grills. You can't get the smoke flavor with gas. Since then my relatives switched to Weber.
Can someone educate me on the advantages of gas "grilling" over indoor cooking? Or is it just indoor cooking with the fun of rain and/or 9F temperatures thrown in?

I was born a Weber Charcoal fan and will die a Weber Charcoal fan.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Can someone educate me on the advantages of gas "grilling" over indoor cooking?...
The smoke from burning fats goes outside instead of filling the house with the smell of seared meat for three days. Most people don't have a true venting hood over their stoves.

Free education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink