Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:12 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times

Advertisements

A venison steak sandwich:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arby-puts...124713311.html

I live in one of the states offering it, but don't think it's anything I'd want to try. I do like the idea of using locally sourced meats though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
Venison is quite tasty.

It's not cheap, though, so it is hard to imagine a fast food restaurant turning out anything quality involving venison. At least they would be using farm raised venison which is very mild and lean.

Venison makes an excellent chicken fried steak, if that is what they are doing. Venison is too lean to hold together for a thin burger patty so if they are doing a burger, they are most likely adding a lot of fat or some sort of binder.

I don't eat at fast food places, but the sandwich might be worth trying, just to see what they have come up with. Another plus is that venison is a healthy meat, if they aren't adding breading and oil to it.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A venison steak sandwich:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arby-puts...124713311.html

I live in one of the states offering it, but don't think it's anything I'd want to try. I do like the idea of using locally sourced meats though.

Do realize that this menu item will be offered in 17 stores in only six states. Per the article:

"Participating locations are in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Georgia—chosen because of the states are near heavy deer-hunting areas, the newspaper reports."

I have not been to an Arby's in 15 years or so. I will say that some of their recent menu additions may be something that i want to try, even though I am probably going to be disappointed.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times
I do realize that, which I why I mentioned I lived in one of the states where it would be offered.

Oregon, if they are using farm raised venison, then why would the sandwich be limited to areas with heavy hunting activity?
Do you think they expect only hunters to be the likely consumers? Wouldn't hunters have their own freezer full of steaks?

Old 10-26-2016, 02:10 PM

12,880 posts, read 9,104,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I do realize that, which I why I mentioned I lived in one of the states where it would be offered.

Oregon, if they are using farm raised venison, then why would the sandwich be limited to areas with heavy hunting activity?
Do you think they expect only hunters to be the likely consumers? Wouldn't hunters have their own freezer full of steaks?
My bet is they want to try it out in locations where people are used to venison as food. Much less of a yuck factor and no one to complain about eating Bambi.

Yes, I'd try it, though I never developed a taste for it. My daughter on the other hand loves venison.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,598,038 times
Looks like they're using a steak instead of burger from the picture.

If done right, it could be really popular. Venison is good meat and very low in saturated fats/cholesterol.
It would be a great healthy addition to a fast food menu.

Not in my state, or I'd try it.

I did try that smokehouse side pork sandwich, far too greasy for my liking

Old 10-26-2016, 02:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,246 times
Would welcome one them venison sandwiches here in NJ

Old 10-26-2016, 03:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,743,764 times
All of the local Arby's have closed... SF East Bay...

Old 10-26-2016, 06:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Looks like they're using a steak instead of burger from the picture.

If done right, it could be really popular. Venison is good meat and very low in saturated fats/cholesterol.
It would be a great healthy addition to a fast food menu.

Not in my state, or I'd try it.

I did try that smokehouse side pork sandwich, far too greasy for my liking
Yes - that looked like it was half fat and half "lean" in the commercials - the idea of biting into a half inch piece of fat is not appealing ....venison I'd try!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:17 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,687,106 times
No, Arby's never crossed my mind and there is none anywhere close to where I live. I have not been to AN Arby's restaurant since I about six years old I'm now 29. There used to be two here in West LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink