Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

We were given a 1 lb bottle of honey from a neighbor in exchange for a favor. He has hives in his yard, and I've been told his honey is excellent, and bears no resemblance to anything I can buy in the grocery store.
I'd like to make the most of the gift, but honey isn't something I use often. In fact, except for a Key West marinade, I don't use it at all.

Can anybody suggest a recipe that would feature it, instead of just using it as a sweetener? I'd like the taste of the honey to be apparent. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Hmm, that is a tricky problem. I'd use it wherever I might use a sweetener. But as for a dish that really highlights the honey? Besides on toast with butter or unsweetened nut butter....hmm.

I like to put it on my plain yogurt. It stands out to me, and I notice when I use different ones they taste different. Do you take sweetener in your coffee? Honey adds completely different taste.

Maybe something like a pineapple upside down cake?

A honey soy glaze for fish or chicken?

Honey mustard sauce or dressing?

Baked apples with honey?

DIY roasted nuts?

One use for your neighbors honey - do you have allergies? Local honey can help you fight symptoms.

And summer stone fruit drizzled with honey is quite magical!

Old 10-29-2016, 12:43 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,415 times
raw honey in warm water with lemon is a great herbal remedy for sore throats and cough. Honey has natural healing properties and is naturally antibacterial- my friends who is a nurse says they used to use it at the nursing home for wounds that refused to heal...

Old 10-29-2016, 04:13 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,096,664 times
Natural honey is like gold. A lot of the supermarket honey has the pollen removed and some is cut with HFCS. You can use a dab of honey on insect bites and mild burns.

One good thing is honey never spoils. If it solidifies you can sit the jar in a pan of warm water to make it liquid again. Even if it takes you years to finish the jar it's good to have around. Good ideas from CAjerseychick and Jade.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
raw honey in warm water with lemon is a great herbal remedy for sore throats and cough. Honey has natural healing properties and is naturally antibacterial- my friends who is a nurse says they used to use it at the nursing home for wounds that refused to heal...
also mix honey with cinnamon...

look it up....says it just about cures anything

I love honey

I eat a lot of apples and put honey slices on the slices....also baked apples are good with honey and cinnamon

Old 10-29-2016, 05:06 AM

708 posts, read 576,908 times
Honey never goes bad. It might crystallize, but you can still use it. No rush in using it up. I like it in my hot cereal in the morning. I make granola with it too.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Lucky you, raw organic honey from your own neighborhood. Priceless.

I miss the days of having honey from clover or sage....

Here are a couple of links that you might find helpful.

How to Use Raw Honey in Place of Sugar in Baking
Recipes,Tips & Benefits Of Using Organic Raw Honey - Whole Lifestyle Nutrition

Old 10-29-2016, 05:29 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Drizzle it on ice cream, pound cake or on a slice of good buttered bread.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have a Honey-Moist Cornbread recipe. It's the only cornbread I make.

1 cup corn meal
1 cup flour
1T baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs**
1 cup heavy cream (milk is fine)

Preheat oven to 400.
Grease an 8x8" pan.

Mix wet ingredients. Stir in dry ingredients, just until combined.
Bake for 20 or until tester comes out clean.

**Once I made it without eggs, and it was still good, so if you only used one egg it would probably be ok too.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,070 times
A really nice spicy honey sauce has become popular at BBQ and wing places. It is easy to make and you can use it on many different foods.

I hadn't bought honey in years but got some from my neighbor, who has a hive, just for this.

Just heat equal parts of honey and Tabasco sauce until boiling. I use 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup chipotle Tabasco.

It is really good served with my cornbread casserole recipe and breakfast casseroles, just to name a few ways it can be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink