Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:54 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That's a silly article. Just look at the price tags on those electric pressure cookers, I think the cheapest was $120?!

I use an electric crock pot because it makes it easy to throw together a batch of stew or chili. Leave it plugged in on the counter as you go about your day, toss in the appropriate ingredients at various times.
That's great when you have all day to cook it. Regular stove top pressure cookers run $19-$26 at wal mart. When you use one the first few times you will understand why they are so great. Tender sweet baby carots in 6 minutes. Chicken or pork roast that shreds apart in 30 minutes. Ribs that the bone pulls out of in 25 minutes. Beef stew cooks for 15 total and the meat melts in your mouth. Chilli in 8 minutes. Chunky chilli (stew meat instead of ground) in 15. Etc etc etc. You will be a fan in no time. It literally cuts cooking time to 1/3 to 1/4 of the time of a slow cooker. You just add your ingredients as the time allows for each just like a slow cooker.

IMO the food in. A pressure cooker taste better than the slow cooker. Something about how it works must either keep the meat more flavorful or the pressure intensifies the seasonings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL!!!! I'll put my slow-and-slow pork butt up against your "speedy" pressure-cooked version any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yeah, I've never used a pressure cooker, so I can't say, but the longer (and lower?) I cook pork/beef roasts, the more I fall in love with them.
Basically the pressure cooker does the work of "slow cooking" in less time. So you can make your pork butt in like 20-30 minutes instead of 8 hours, with similar results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just too bad, because they could cut cooking times by 50% or more, making it possible to cook whole food meals in less than 30 minutes.
Just imagine being able to cook mushroom risotto in just 5 min under high pressure, or creating a nuanced and vibrant fall vegetable soup in a mere 3 min!! That makes it possible for dishes that would normally be reserved for the weekend to be made on busy weeknights.
The biggest advantage for me is the speed, the flavor, the texture and the color – the whole culinary aspect that blows my mind to this day. The flavors are getting concentrated into the food, making things much more flavorful. I think it makes the food more of what it is. Also, you preserve more of vit. C, which is air soluble, and the intense pressure and heat of the pressure cooker makes fiber more digestible.
People should love this thing, not reject, and be afraid of it!
I liked this aspect too! I could make that item that would take hours of braising in way less time. This means I could decide when I got home from work to make lentil soup! And not wait 2 hours! It only takes like 20 minutes in a pressure cooker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, pressure cookers can be fast but you're only talking the COOKING time...not the additional time it takes to get it up to pressure to start with and after for the pressure to come down before you can safely open it.
I have an electric one. Getting up to pressure takes like 5 minutes. Maybe 7. Releasing the pressure takes about 1 minute, usually faster. So the all in time is still really fast. Beans only need like 10-15 minutes of cooking time, no presoaking. So all in about 20 minutes!

Quote:
That's a silly article. Just look at the price tags on those electric pressure cookers, I think the cheapest was $120?!

I use an electric crock pot because it makes it easy to throw together a batch of stew or chili. Leave it plugged in on the counter as you go about your day, toss in the appropriate ingredients at various times.
There are some cheaper ones. When I was shopping I saw some for about $65-70.

I had planed on buying a slow cooker. To me it was worth the price premium to got a "multifunction" cooker to replace my rice cooker. And get something that browns. The pressure cooker was a bonus. Turns out I ended up liking the pressure cooking part way more! No need to get started way early in the day.

I haven't gotten around to making chili yet, but it is in my queue!

Pressure cookers are awesome for coking procrastinators.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
I think this article is silly. I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim a slow cooker does a better job than cooking on the stove top, whether using a dutch oven or pressure cooker. It's all about the convenience.

I have a chuck roast and potatoes going in the slow cooker as we speak. I'll get home from work, have dinner on the table in 10 minutes, and then be able to get out the door with the kids for trick-or-treating with little fuss. Would the roast be better cooked in a more traditional manner? Probably, but that isn't feasible on a weeknight, and besides, I think a crock pot can turn out good meals if you know what you're doing with it.

It's all about the convenience. I use the slow cooker 1-2 times every week. I prep the ingredients before bed, put them in the slow cooker insert, put that in the fridge, and then just drop it in the slow cooker before heading out the door. On these days I can get home from work, and depending on the recipe, have dinner on the table in 5-30 minutes. That gives me more time in the evening for other things. The slow cooker is a weeknight appliance only for me.

I enjoy cooking, but with time constraints I tend to save more involved meals for the weekend. And, I don't know about everyone else, but when I get home from work I don't feel like doing food prep.

Last edited by clawsondude; 10-31-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
^^Exactly. (Unless your husband forgets to turn it on when he comes home for lunch, which happened to me last week.)

Old 10-31-2016, 01:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Pressure cooker over slow cooker. I saw a slow cooker recipe for mac & cheese and it took 3 hours? What!! For mac & cheese? Too slow.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I think this article is silly. I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim a slow cooker does a better job than cooking on the stove top, whether using a dutch oven or pressure cooker. It's all about the convenience.

I have a chuck roast and potatoes going in the slow cooker as we speak. I'll get home from work, have dinner on the table in 10 minutes, and then be able to get out the door with the kids for trick-or-treating with little fuss. Would the roast be better cooked in a more traditional manner? Probably, but that isn't feasible on a weeknight, and besides, I think a crock pot can turn out good meals if you know what you're doing with it.

It's all about the convenience. I use the slow cooker 1-2 times every week. I prep the ingredients before bed, put them in the slow cooker insert, put that in the fridge, and then just drop it in the slow cooker before heading out the door. On these days I can get home from work, and depending on the recipe, have dinner on the table in 5-30 minutes. That gives me more time in the evening for other things. The slow cooker is a weeknight appliance only for me.

I enjoy cooking, but with time constraints I tend to save more involved meals for the weekend. And, I don't know about everyone else, but when I get home from work I don't feel like doing food prep.

Nice!
would like to know just what cut of meat - and the weight - that is in your slow cooker as you posted. Most of all, I would like to know just what you did with all the liquid fat in that slow cooker.

Did you pick up the heavy thing with pot holders and try to pour off all that fat? How easy was that, considering that you want the liquid in your meal and you don't want those potatoes and whatever else pouring into the sink?

Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I might get myself one of those Instant Pots for my birthday.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:10 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Nice!
would like to know just what cut of meat - and the weight - that is in your slow cooker as you posted. Most of all, I would like to know just what you did with all the liquid fat in that slow cooker.

Did you pick up the heavy thing with pot holders and try to pour off all that fat? How easy was that, considering that you want the liquid in your meal and you don't want those potatoes and whatever else pouring into the sink?
I mentioned it was a chuck roast, about 3 pounds. I usually just scoop the roast out with a large spatula. The potatoes can be scooped easily as well. I usually just pour some of the liquid over the meal as is. If I have extra time I will occasionally make gravy.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:17 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:

Yesterday I saw that Walmart has a Faberware one (7-in-1 programmable) for $58 - and it honestly looks like a ripoff (and I don't mean that derogatorily ... has slight mods on the buttons and I have no idea if it has a stainless insert or a non-stick one) of the Instant Pot (which comes in just under the price you mentioned - I now have 2 of them and extra insert) I swear by ... just fyi. They had a large stack of them where I am. The price has come down a LOT.

I like the Instant Pot because it has a stainless insert (great quality and if you do things right it doesn't stick anyway), it has 2 pressures, can be timed for up to 99 hours cooking, can slow cook, does a great job on rice, and fast cook just about anything (and make yogourt, etc.), goes automatically to 10 hours keep warm (which you can up if you need to), can sauté beautifully (so you don't need 2 pots and a stove to brown), is very quiet and very fast. You can delay cook in it too .. I just never do. I don't find it takes very long to come up to pressure (it goes to a lower pressure than a stovetop one does anyway) and usually there is not even any steam nor is there a jiggler you have to put on and take off, etc.

I can make a heck of a pulled pork roast in there in 45 minutes or less and it is delicious - bring on that challenge! I am sure it will do the chicken breast with salsa beautifully too (I cook a whole chicken in less than 20 minutes) but I haven't tried that yet. I can make cheesecake in it too.

Not trying to sell you on the electric pressure cooker but if you haven't tried one and someone gifts you one .. for gosh sake, don't just re-gift it without trying it out! It is better than those of you who are avid slow cooker users think - and as I said, it can slow cook too without you doing much except load it up - much more versatile .. consider one if you have to replace that slow cooker any time too.

I have stovetop pressure cookers (and a canner) and if I weren't such a 'prepper' I would give those away (may need a non-electric some time) and I have still one slow cooker but since I haven't used that in a couple of years now it will be given away soon just like the others I used to have. I am so glad though that some of you still like slow cookers .. otherwise I would have nowhere to send mine.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-31-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Slow cookers have their place, but since I'm home all day, I have no reason to not use the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink