Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2021, 06:53 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times

Advertisements

Salsa Lizano is a condiment from Costa Rica. I want some opinions before I buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Salsa Lizano is a condiment from Costa Rica. I want some opinions before I buy it.
I've had it. It wasn't the way we think of salsa - meaning it's not meant for dipping. It's a condiment meant to be added by the diner to the finished dish. Like any other bottled hot sauce or steak sauce. IIRC, it isn't terribly hot.

I think it's occasionally used in recipes as an ingredient.

It's like five bucks a bottle - worth a try.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:48 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
All I can say is that whenever we travel to Costa Rica (which we have done 5 times over the past 12-13 years or so), we always stop at the closest Mega grocery chain and pick up drinks and snacks for our hotel room. We are always amazed at how sweet their salsa is. Not spicy at all. It basically tastes like chunky ketchup, even the American brands.

TBH, I'm not sure Costa Rica is known for their cuisine. To me, it's relatively plain and bland compared to many of its Central American neighbors.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:56 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
All I can say is that whenever we travel to Costa Rica (which we have done 5 times over the past 12-13 years or so), we always stop at the closest Mega grocery chain and pick up drinks and snacks for our hotel room. We are always amazed at how sweet their salsa is. Not spicy at all. It basically tastes like chunky ketchup, even the American brands.

TBH, I'm not sure Costa Rica is known for their cuisine. To me, it's relatively plain and bland compared to many of its Central American neighbors.
Totally agree.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Chiles aren’t a major ingredient in Central American cuisine, Guatemala being a possible exception.

Old 10-09-2021, 02:22 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Chiles aren’t a major ingredient in Central American cuisine, Guatemala being a possible exception.
Yes, good point, and probably why I consider it bland compared to the guatamalan restaurants near my house. More than that, though, I think the Costa Rican cuisine suffers from too much focus on gallo pinto as a dish for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There's only so much you can do with plain white rice and black beans sans spices.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, good point, and probably why I consider it bland compared to the guatamalan restaurants near my house. More than that, though, I think the Costa Rican cuisine suffers from too much focus on gallo pinto as a dish for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There's only so much you can do with plain white rice and black beans sans spices.
Rice and beans may be all some folks have to eat.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:18 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
A relative brought some back from Costa Rica. It's very good, not too hot, and I keep meaning to order more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink