Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 01:18 PM

44 posts, read 25,121 times

Advertisements

NY Style pizza is the best in my opinion. Nice and greasy, yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:50 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would rather have a good NYC pizza than a Neapolitan pizza.
I would rather have any pizza that is great over one that's just ok regardless of its style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's moot, because the photo was of parmesan, not mozzarella. I have also had pepperoni on pizza in Italy, so it's not that rare. Italians do make better pizza sauce.
Well you won't find parmesan on pizza there either.

I doubt you had pepperoni on pizza there. If you did they imported it from the US just to use on pizza...which would be doubtful unless they were running a tourist trap serving americanized Italian food. Why would they when they have so many real Italian cured meats to choose from.

If you had some kind of dry cured sausage on a pizza in Italy it probably wasn't pepperoni, more than likely some other kind of sausage.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Neapolitan pizza IS pizza. Modern pizza originated in Naples, Italy, so what they made there is basic pizza. I don't know what you think of as "masterful recipes" but they are not true to the Italian original recipe for "pizza."

In fact, the European Union issued a "safeguard" to Neapolitan Pizza similar to our trademark designation. It's a "Traditional Speciality Guaranteed" dish. The designation was requested by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (the True Neapolitan Pizza Association) is a non-profit organization founded in 1984 with headquarters in Naples. It promotes and protects the "true Neapolitan pizza."

If you are getting something that's soggy or burned, or crust that doesn't taste good, that's just bad preparation. (Although please note that pizza cooked in a pizza oven with a wood fire in it will inevitably be charred in a few places and that is considered acceptable or even desirable.) That has nothing to do with it being "Neapolitan." Most pizza places will put whatever toppings you want on pizza dough, so just ask for what you want and make your own "masterful recipe."
LOL @ pizza prescriptivism. NYC and New Haven style pizza are equally valid, and harder to do well.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
From what I've seen on this board and others, pizza is a highly debated subject. There is not or never will be a consensus.

Pizza from Italy is from the late 18th century and predates anything from the US, but was not as it is today. The earliest NYC pizza is from 1905 at Lombardi's (From what I have read).

As far as being valid, they all are. Being the first does not make it any more valid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_pizza

I personally like Roman pizza over Neapolitan and I've actually had it in Rome.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

I doubt you had pepperoni on pizza there. If you did they imported it from the US just to use on pizza...which would be doubtful unless they were running a tourist trap serving americanized Italian food. Why would they when they have so many real Italian cured meats to choose from.

If you had some kind of dry cured sausage on a pizza in Italy it probably wasn't pepperoni, more than likely some other kind of sausage.
The most similar stuff over there is probably the "pizza alla diavola" (literally "devil pizza"), which has spicy salame over it.

On the other hand, to ask for a "pepperoni pizza" in here would probably cause some confusion. In fact the most similar word to "pepperoni" is "peperoni", which means bell pepper.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:49 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Almost any time someone tells me about the great new pizzeria in their town, I roll my eyes, knowing that there's a 90% chance it's another in the seemingly endless string of neapolitan pizza joints. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the move to better ingredients, but I'm more impressed by masterful recipes. Neapolitan pizzerias remind me of the sort of farm-to-table restaurant that prides itsef on the sourcing of its ingredients, but trots out a series of uninspired mediocrities.

And don't get me started on the crust...why would I want to eat a pizza whose crust is simultaneously charred and soggy? WTF?
Bad pizza is bad pizza regardless of style or location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
"Pizza" is actually an American invention, not Italian... Yes I've had some great pizzas in Sicily, but they were something else entirely from a great pizza I got in New York. Both are valid and I consider them like apples and oranges.
Nope. Dumping a truckload of cheese and toppings is the only "American" invention here. Pizza throughout Europe in general tends to be sparse on toppings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
How many times does that have to be posted in a pizza thread? I don't think I've EVER read a pizza thread where that hasn't been stated.
Probably something they saw on History Channel and take it as fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
In fact, the European Union issued a "safeguard" to Neapolitan Pizza similar to our trademark designation. It's a "Traditional Speciality Guaranteed" dish. The designation was requested by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana (the True Neapolitan Pizza Association) is a non-profit organization founded in 1984 with headquarters in Naples. It promotes and protects the "true Neapolitan pizza."
How many "Neapolitan" pizzerias are certified as authentic in the U.S.? 100 or so?

Old 11-08-2016, 03:31 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
The most similar stuff over there is probably the "pizza alla diavola" (literally "devil pizza"), which has spicy salame over it.

On the other hand, to ask for a "pepperoni pizza" in here would probably cause some confusion. In fact the most similar word to "pepperoni" is "peperoni", which means bell pepper.
Bell peppers are pretty good on a pizza, especially if there's actual pepperoni with them.

Is the pizza alla diavola spicier than American pepperoni? Have you had both?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Bell peppers are not good on any pizza, IMO.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:49 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Bell peppers are pretty good on a pizza, especially if there's actual pepperoni with them.

I love peppers of all types on pizza. Red, green, yellow bell peppers, jalapeño, chipotle, roasted red peppers or a combination of all of them.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

I can't recall having it specifically. I have had some pizza there with very spicy sausages on it but I can't recall what it was called. I will be in Naples for a few weeks this month...I am gonna track one of these down and try it right after I get a caffè and a sfogliatelle or a cream filled rum baba........maybe both. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink