Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:19 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times

Advertisements

Four layer pudding - crust of walnut and butter, chocolate pudding layered with whipped cream. Very good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
My mother made great pound cake, bread pudding, and especially lemon snow pudding, which was a frothy light concoction made with grated lemon peel and gelatin, I think. She whipped it up until it was like air.
This reminded me of the fantastic pound cake my mom would make for visiting relatives when I was little. It was the pound-of-everything kind. It would be 3 or 4 layers and she would make each layer a different color, with some kind of white frosting. I thought this was the best-tasting cake ever but when I asked her about it later in her life, she couldn't remember making it at all, much less how she made it. Can't believe I forgot about that.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:24 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
This reminded me of the fantastic pound cake my mom would make for visiting relatives when I was little. It was the pound-of-everything kind. It would be 3 or 4 layers and she would make each layer a different color, with some kind of white frosting. I thought this was the best-tasting cake ever but when I asked her about it later in her life, she couldn't remember making it at all, much less how she made it. Can't believe I forgot about that.
Stay off the internet reading pound cake recipes. I spent the better part of an afternoon on some bloggers website who's made an entire career (it looked like) testing, photographing and rating every pound cake recipe known to man. Literally HOURS.

I was so sure I was going to try so many of them I even had them prioritized....but eventually forgot to make any. LOL.

Hmmmmm. I think I have them sitting in my recipe Dropbox.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
LOVE this story. Care to share the recipe?
Yes I love the "Mr. Prisco Cheesecake." story.

Especially because every Christmas I treat myself to a long distance order of an Italian Cheesecake from Veniero's NYC - the BEST bakery in the country IMO. Well, maybe a toss up with The Swiss Bakery in Philly. Both have been around for 100 years. (like others we have in Philly, too)

http://www.venierospastry.com/mm5/me...vc?Screen=PLST

http://www.swisshausbakery.com/

Funny, once I made one and used 3 LBS of Ricotta instead of 3 Cups. LOL I was rushing. Yeah, it was like a cinder block.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:29 PM

184 posts, read 337,879 times
Tiramisu and the holiday rum cake.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Watergate Salad:

Watergate Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-07-2016, 02:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Neat topic! My mom was a fantastic cook, and we always had dessert after every meal, always homemade. Some of my favorites:
  1. Boston Cream Pie
  2. Chocolate Pudding
  3. Jelly Roll
  4. These bars that were chocolate with chocolate chips and diced dates on top
  5. Lemon Meringue Pie
  6. Poppyseed cake with lemon filling
  7. Apple pie
  8. Spice cake with broiled coconut pecan topping
  9. German chocolate cake
  10. Banana cream pie
  11. Cherry pie
My mom made that Spice Cake too! I remember taking it to a bake sale at school and being kind of embarrassed because it looked so plain and brown compared to the other stuff. But then two of the ladies working the sale started admiring it and one bought it before the sale even started! Yes, it was "delish" and I wish I had the recipe!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:54 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,537 times
Pizzelles(have to be thin!)

Old 11-07-2016, 03:08 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Stay off the internet reading pound cake recipes. I spent the better part of an afternoon on some bloggers website who's made an entire career (it looked like) testing, photographing and rating every pound cake recipe known to man. Literally HOURS.

I was so sure I was going to try so many of them I even had them prioritized....but eventually forgot to make any. LOL.

Hmmmmm. I think I have them sitting in my recipe Dropbox.
Haha. Next time hubby needs to take food in to his office, I'm going there.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Chocolate pudding, back in the 50's, you had to cook it.
Nothing against your mom....I just remember boxes of cooked pudding and the "skin" on top after it cooled...I could never the consistency of it and got in trouble if I tried to not eat that part. Finally my mom switched to instant pudding!

As for other desserts - she'd make fancy cakes for her club meetings and sometimes we'd get the leftovers - Hummingbird cake
"Pig (pickin') cake"
and of course carrot cake with coconut, pineapple bits, double nuts, and carrots! Cream cheese frosting with just a touch of orange extract added...

Last edited by reneeh63; 11-07-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink