Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

My sister, BIL, and two nephews are traveling to our home for Thanksgiving. This year we have a complicated Thanksgiving food situation. They're coming for just one day, then driving 12+ hours to Mississippi the following day to visit my BIL's family. My sister is a domestic goddess and I am goodheartedly jealous of her amazing cooking and parenting skills. She can cook any homestyle meal, with seemingly no thought or effort, and it always tastes fabulous.

She wanted to do the whole Thanksgiving dinner for us, the make the trek to MS the following morning. But there are many reasons this is not a good idea. First of all, the family must drive 3 hours just to see us, then there's the long meal preparation for Thanksgiving, followed by a very long drive to MS. Plus my wife is a decent cook, but it stresses her out and makes her grouchy until the food is prepared. To add to our woes, our kitchen is tiny, and I will be just ten days post-op from major shoulder surgery and will be unable to do anything with my left arm. Lastly, BIL is a wonderful dad and a great husband, but not much of a cook, which leaves the majority of the cooking to my little sister. She says she is willing to do it, and I know she truly is, but I don't want to burden her.

Ultimately we decided to buy a premade heat and eat meal from our local grocery store and supplement the food with a few easy to make items. My poor little sister is terribly disappointed, but I reasoned with her that being together is more important, even if the food won't taste as good. I didn't want her to spend the family's short visit slaving away in the kitchen.

Have you guys done any premade meals? What did you think about them? Did you add any extras to them? Were they worth it, or is cooking better? Or do you think it is easier to just go to a restaurant? I welcome any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Have you considered asking sis to bring a special desert; one that travels well?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
We've done premade meals with great results, but they've always been from the "gourmet" grocery stores, not the neighborhood grocery chain. The only extras we added were to accommodate someone who is gluten free. It was definitely easier than cooking the whole meal.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:06 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
We've done premade meals with great results, but they've always been from the "gourmet" grocery stores, not the neighborhood grocery chain.

This.

I prefer to purchase the turkey cooked regardless of time constraints, etc. I do enjoy doing the sides though since recipes are handed down the generations. I still want dinner to taste like "mine". We have a family dessert as well someone makes each year that we've been doing since the 1940s.

The biggest gift I ever give myself - I do the prep work days beforehand (chopping, cleaning, purchasing, menu planning, cleaning the house etc). I pretty much wake up leisurely prep/cook then drink wine

I'm sure your family will enjoy it regardless and it is thoughtful to prep and serve the big meal, regardless of particulars.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Maybe consider going out? Some of the restaurant/hotel buffets are very good.

Or go nontraditional. Is your wife really comfortable cooking a certain dish? Prime rib, lamb? How about really good prime steak on the grill - and have SIL or BIL do the grilling.

I've never understood the 'It's thanksgiving, it's gotta be turkey' thing.

The quality of that preprepared meal will be dependent on its source. The local grocery store is going to dissapoint (been there, done that). However, a high end restaurant, deli or gourmet grocer can produce a beautiful meal (which I've eaten, but in a million years wouldn't pay the price they demand.)

Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you considered asking sis to bring a special desert; one that travels well?
I did ask her this. She is bringing something called "pink stuff." I don't know what it is exactly, but that's what we call it (ambrosia maybe?) It has walnuts, cranberries, marshmallows, and sugar in it. That request made her happier, because I ask for it every year.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:37 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
A few years ago, we were planning a small Thanksgiving get-together (6 people), so ordered a pre-made meal from a high end grocery store. We didn't know what to expect, but figured that it should be decent. To our surprise, it was prepared well, packed well and very tasty.

You could also go out, we've done so and the meals have been good.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Went to a friend's house one year and she did a pre-cooked meal, but she got it from a restaurant, versus a grocery store. I don't know if you have any restaurants that would do that around you, but it is something to consider.

My son, one Thanksgiving, when he couldn't come home for it, had Thanksgiving in Goose Creek, SC (he was stationed there - not sightseeing ) with his roommates who didn't go home either. They got the whole kit and caboodle at a regular grocery store. I asked him how it was, and he said, "Mom, we had already killed a six pack before we unwrapped anything - it was FINE. We think." So I don't know if that's a ringing endorsement, per se, but it can be very good, depending on where you source it.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My poor little sister is terribly disappointed, but I reasoned with her that being together is more important, even if the food won't taste as good. I didn't want her to spend the family's short visit slaving away in the kitchen.
I presume your sister knows what is involved in making a turkey dinner at your place and thought herself up to the task,for some of us putting together the entire Thanksgiving meal is viewed as a privilege/pleasure to undertake and not slavery. .
Best of luck with the meal enjoy the company and best of luck with the upcoming surgery.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:09 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Have you guys done any premade meals? What did you think about them? Did you add any extras to them? Were they worth it, or is cooking better? Or do you think it is easier to just go to a restaurant? I welcome any input.

The only times I've done premade Txgiving meals I actually used a local restaurant who roasted your turkey for you, made the giblet gravy from scratch, mashed the potatoes and you name it. Their food was heavenly homestyle comfort food in enormous portions, so it was perfect for us. I used it happily for years -- I hate doing the autopsy on the bird -- until one year I realized they had roasted the turkey with the plastic packet of giblets still tucked inside. They just bunged it in the oven plastic and all. We got a good laugh out of it, but still.

The restaurant went under shortly afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink