Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
One of the things that I do for convenience is to make a big pot of brown rice then freeze it in 1/2 cup portions, which is one serving. Then a portion can be microwaved and I have rice with my meal in 1 minute instead of the 45 minutes it takes to cook a pot of rice.

Cook it in broth for some prortien, or if he won't eat rice, package quinoa the same way.
Yeah, I do this too.

I think the first half of the trip is going to be testing his food boundaries. Sometimes he doesn't even know what he likes (I can just see his bewilderment at how to prounounce "quinoa"). And then the second half will be cooking and putting up meals. The plan is for me to come back in 6 months and repeat this, as well as reviewing his household paperwork. He won't let me near his investments, but at least I can make sure he's paying his bills and eating regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 01:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
Here's a Chicken and Chorizo Paella that is freezable and reheats in the microwave.

I have a bunch of stuff I can think of off the top of my head, but I have absolutely NO idea if they would work as "freezer meals" like you're doing - I've only had to do that once, for my MIL, and she and I were a LOT alike, in that we thought gravies/sauces/cheeses etc. were the main basis for our own personal food pyramids. For her, I did about a zillion and one casseroles. Ok, more like 3/4 of a zillion - my SIL wasn't retired yet so she helped, but since I had been laid off I had the time (the gravy/sauce/cheese ratio for each was corrected to MIL standards by me.)

One thing I forgot, you can do pancakes, waffles, and French toast all fresh and then freeze them - they heat up beautifully in the toaster. If he will eat a couple of Brown and Serve or other sausages (heck - I think they make THAT precooked now too!) with it, it's a meal.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Asian foods that can freeze well? Think lo mein, egg foo yung, fried rice, frozen dumplings.

8 Freezer-Friendly Asian Dinners - Allrecipes Dish
How To Make Stir-Fry Freezer Meals

Spicy foods that can freeze well? Think chili, soups, Mexican chile verde or chile colorado, Mexican rice and beans.

We always have chicken legs and thighs that have been roasted, then individually frozen. Reheat with a salad or vegies and it makes a quick, easy and reasonably healthy lo carb lunch or dinner.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:47 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We love Marie Callendar pot pies, but they do have a creamy factor he might not like, and they're better heated in the oven. Super good and easy, though.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:03 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Shrimp Curry over brown rice.

Soup with a combination of shrimp, cod, lobster, etc.

Salmon patties.

Turkey meat loaf.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I need some ideas for freezer meals for my father. I like richer foods than he does, so I'm trying to modify my recipes and coming up with very little.

I'm planning to cook a bunch of freezer meals for him when I stay with him for a month in a few weeks. He's a health fanatic, but honestly, I think he takes it too far - at his age being obsessed with staying as thin as he is is courting trouble imho. I swear, it's like he's anorexic.

In any case, he hates sugar, doesn't really like things that are creamy or cheesy, is suspicious of salt and isn't a fan of carbs. He loves fish, vegetables of all kinds and spicy foods.

I'm thinking maybe some Asian-influenced dishes, but I'm having trouble coming up with something that would be easy to make in bulk. And I'd love something I could do in the crock pot.

Any thoughts appreciated...
This cookbook might be perfect for you. https://www.amazon.com/You-Have-Made.../dp/0544579305 I also eat healthy and have enjoyed the dozen or so recipes I've made so far. One example is salmon with fennel. Another is cajun shrimp. That one can be found online.
Cajun Shrimp in Foil - Ellie Krieger

All of the recipes in the cookbook have instructions for freezing and how to heat up again. Mostly the author is not a fan of microwaving the frozen meals but instead often you turn on the oven, put the frozen portion in, and after about 45 minutes it's ready.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:09 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
And basically, he needs a container he can just stick in the microwave - any assembly required will have him trotting out to Panera or Cracker Barrel.
As another old guy, it occurs to me that maybe that's what he should be doing, if that's what he likes. Has he asked you to take on such a project?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
LOL - he actually loves Minestrone! Soup is a good idea.
You said he is "suspicious of salt", so reduce the salt in any recipe of soup you make. If he wants more later, he can add it at the table.

Because he is so slender, a little more "stick-to-the-ribs" meals are in order. I would prefer casseroles (veggie casseroles that he likes) and stews to soup, so that he gets some more calories.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:52 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
As another old guy, it occurs to me that maybe that's what he should be doing, if that's what he likes. Has he asked you to take on such a project?
That is a good point and there may also be a social aspect to Panera and Cracker Barrel. You could see what he enjoys eating at those places and copy it for an at home version to keep in the freezer. I always keep soups in the freezer, corn and potato chowder doesn't need cream to be good, tomato and spinach, add some white beans for protein.

Growing up my mom made swiss chard patties, basically chard and bisquick, I've changed them to shredded zucchini, squash, chard, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower whatever is in the fridge held together with some lemon zest, eggs a little flour to bind and baking powder, cook with a little olive oil until browned on both sides, cool and throw in a ziplock in the freezer for a quick bite.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Hi! I found an old thread that maybe you can get some ideas out of. I order my freezer containers from Amazon for both soup and meals. I will buy the tin foil type pans at the warehouse club.

I do a lot of cook ahead and freeze meals or foods like chicken, meatloaf and ground beef for all types of things like spaghetti sauce, chili, etc. I do a pulled pork in the slow cooker and then freeze it for portions for sandwiches. I also make sliders that can be frozen individually and then reheated one at a time. (these are awesome for lunch or dinner!). I also do breakfast sausage/egg/cheese cups in muffin tins also and freeze them.

I do chicken whether it is shredded or cubed and have it for soups, salads, enchiladas, chicken salad, bbq sandwiches of what have you.

I have tons of this type of thing including all types of soups.

It's such a great feeling to provide nourishing food. Good on you for doing this!

Beretta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink