Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Tamales - eating, not making. Not all that easy to make and you can get them in the produce aisle here. A common holiday specialty food in NM...I bet some abuelas have been cooking tamales for a while now -- you know, special family recipe.
I do love me some tamales, just not with pork lol.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm baking pies today, two pumpkin and one raspberry with a crumb topping.

Yesterday I baked bread and cornbread to make the stuffing, and the day before I made cranberry sauce, half regular and half jellied.

Tomorrow I'll make the turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and rolls. I'm usually lazy and buy the gravy in a jar, but this year I have new food allergies and have to make my own.
Funny, I bought a packet of gravy mix last year and ended up not using it at all, and now I can't find it!

Old 11-23-2016, 09:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Today we made cornbread dressing, buttermilk pies, brownies, and got the ingredients all together for green bean casserole, corn casserole and sweet potatoes with (of course) marshmallows on top. Tomorrow we will do the turkey, the ham, the rolls, the cranberry sauce, the pecan pie, whipping cream, fruit salad, etc. WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
A while ago I finished up the dressing. I always toast, cube and season it the night before and mix with minced onion. Tomorrow I'll add some butter and a little chicken broth and stuff the turkey.

I've been an elk-hunting widow for two weeks so I've been picking away at things I could do ahead of time for a while now. It's important to me to make everything from scratch but this year I ordered a pie from Baker's Square. Wasn't sure how much energy I'd have left after all the cleaning.

This morning I baked DH's cousin's recipe for oatmeal buns. We always have them for this meal. Yesterday I made a sour cherry and pineapple salad. Thought it might be nice to have something tart with all the rich food.

And I made twice-baked sweet potatoes for the first time. We'd rather have savory than sweet and I got to thinking they may be good this way. I put butter, bacon, sour cream and chives in them and mixed them with the beaters. Hope they're good.

Daughter is bringing a cheesy scalloped corn bake, roasted brussel sprouts, mean Greek-style deviled eggs and home-made cranberry/orange relish. Bachelor son just shows up. But I'll put him to work running up and down the stairs to the basement refrigerator, taking beverage orders and helping with the dishes. I will be sitting and having a cup of after dinner coffee with their father.

I've got a new snack to munch on post-meal. DH brought them home from his favorite big box store. Carmelized cashews dipped in dark chocolate with sea salt. No doubt those will be good!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:10 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
We lost our convection oven awhile back when a mouse somehow got in it and died, so we're down to a toaster oven right now. This evening I made dressing, it's in the fridge. Tomorrow we'll bake a pie in the morning, then a canned ham because it's the only thing that will fit.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I'm working right now (till 7am), so I made my dishes this morning. My family (wife, 2 kids) will go to my parents' house (very close by). My brother will come, too. My aunt, uncle, and cousin are visiting (from overseas).

My mother is doing small bites (we gorge all day on hor d'oeuvres) for before dinner and bought various pies.
My brother is doing the turkey.
My dad is doing the mashed potatoes and bread products.
My wife is making green bean casserole and sweet potatoes.
I made the stuffing and a second batch of potatoes (onion-cheezy) this morning and drove it over there.
There'll probably be even more food than that, but I left it to those people.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:17 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
I've already made a family favorite dish of sweet potatoes and apples (no marshmallows), got all the ingredients prepared for the stuffing.
I thought I was all done with buying food, but I may have to run back out to the store in the morning after reading some of these other great ideas. YUM !

Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Ooh I just love this holiday, even though this year's been hectic with me working tonight and Thanksgiving night/Black Friday morning. But I'm thawing out the turkey and baking my Yorkshire pudding, which I've made every Thanksgiving since 2011. Plan to make a butternut squash soup, mashed potatoes and corn and this recipe from a dish my mom would always make for me, back when I still ate pork. Its a dish of rice, corn and sausage with a pinch of beer. My partner and my friend loved it when my mom made it for them when we visited back in April so I hope I can do it justice lol. What are you cooking/baking for this holiday? Do you got traditional dishes that you make each year?

My no -bake cool whip cheesecake! Yum!

Old 11-23-2016, 11:43 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Nothing today. In the last few days, I've made quiche, cream of mushroom soup, and brats so we could slide into Thanksgiving and not have to cook until the day. It's a simple menu and there probably won't be leftovers.

The guest who wasn't going to be able to make it for dinner arrived half an hour ago, and will be here until Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Now I don't have to unload the dishwasher or take out the trash. It's my son's high school friend. He drove to the area to have dinner at his mom's house, but he won't sleep there.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I've already made a family favorite dish of sweet potatoes and apples...
You know, this sounds amazing! We'll have to try that!

Thanksgiving is the one day we go all-traditional. I'm up at 1 a.m. to get the turkey into the outdoor wood-fired oven. I do most of our roasts in there, to free up space for the wife in the kitchen. It also keeps most of the mess out of the house. The turkey is our own home grown.

Traditional veggies are ready to be baked in the morning -- potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, rutatbaga. I love brown sugar and cinnamon baked with the squash.

Stuffing this year is my mom's sausage/sage concoction, which my wife carefully wrote down early in our marriage...and doesn't need to consult any more.

Pies are already made-pumpkin, apple, and minced. With vanilla ice cream, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink