Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times

Advertisements

Ooh I just love this holiday, even though this year's been hectic with me working tonight and Thanksgiving night/Black Friday morning. But I'm thawing out the turkey and baking my Yorkshire pudding, which I've made every Thanksgiving since 2011. Plan to make a butternut squash soup, mashed potatoes and corn and this recipe from a dish my mom would always make for me, back when I still ate pork. Its a dish of rice, corn and sausage with a pinch of beer. My partner and my friend loved it when my mom made it for them when we visited back in April so I hope I can do it justice lol. What are you cooking/baking for this holiday? Do you got traditional dishes that you make each year?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM

1,092 posts, read 834,809 times
We are "doing" Thanksgiving on Saturday this year (due to a family death & some wierd work schedules). But tonight I did take the turkey out to thaw. Friday & Saturday I will be roasting the turkey, make gravy, bake 2 apple pies, creamed corn & devilled eggs. Our meal will be a family effort. Others bringing a Honey Baked Ham, cornbread dressing, veggies, cranberry salads, desserts, etc. Hope everybody has a happy & thankful Thanksgiving! (not just another reason to shop!)

Old 11-23-2016, 05:45 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,790,938 times
Tamales - eating, not making. Not all that easy to make and you can get them in the produce aisle here. A common holiday specialty food in NM...I bet some abuelas have been cooking tamales for a while now -- you know, special family recipe.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM

45,499 posts, read 60,718,893 times
The usual.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,873,488 times
Roommates are cooking Turkey and all the fixings. I might eat a few of the side dishes.

I am just going eat my combination of veggies I have each night for dinner for Thanksgiving. Instead of the usual 4 vegetables in the skillet with olive oil, I will have 8 or 9 different veggies.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
I'm baking pies today, two pumpkin and one raspberry with a crumb topping.

Yesterday I baked bread and cornbread to make the stuffing, and the day before I made cranberry sauce, half regular and half jellied.

Tomorrow I'll make the turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and rolls. I'm usually lazy and buy the gravy in a jar, but this year I have new food allergies and have to make my own.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,529,337 times
Today I made my cranberry sauce and two loaves of pumpkin bread. I'm dying to try the pumpkin bread, but I'm bringing them to two Thanksgivings tomorrow. (I'm no Lorelai Gilmore - she'd go to 4)

Tomorrow I will brine my turkey breast for roasting on Friday, and prep my sausage stuffing (to be cooked as a casserole). I love T-giving weekend leftovers, so I always make sure I have some.

Friday, roast turkey, make gravy, mashed potatoes, and my special sauteed brussels sprouts with almonds.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Nothing.
But tomorrow going to have salmon and prime rib and sides and lots of great people around me, bringing a toothbrush if I end up staying.
I like breakfast ...thing is, I look really good in the morning...what they
don't know is it's downhill from there.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,873,925 times
pumpkin cheesecake is out of the oven, we are starting on the orange -cranberry sauce for tomorrow, i'll check on how the turkey is thawing a little later....

Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,482,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
We are "doing" Thanksgiving on Saturday this year (due to a family death & some wierd work schedules). But tonight I did take the turkey out to thaw. Friday & Saturday I will be roasting the turkey, make gravy, bake 2 apple pies, creamed corn & devilled eggs. Our meal will be a family effort. Others bringing a Honey Baked Ham, cornbread dressing, veggies, cranberry salads, desserts, etc. Hope everybody has a happy & thankful Thanksgiving! (not just another reason to shop!)
I'm sorry to hear about the family death. That's gotta be rough around the holidays, I'm sure. I can definitely relate about the weird work schedule, though. I normally don't work Wednesday nights, but due to the holiday they are making me come in tonight which sucks cuz we're cooking and eating in the morning at my house because later in the afternoon me and my SO are going to his cousin's house down in Dallas. And then I gotta work tomorrow night too and I pray I won't be dog tired!

You're right about the shopping. I hate how a lot of retailers stay open on Thanksgiving to extend Black Friday profits, not giving their employees the chance to spend valuable time with family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink