Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 03:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Just found out our son, who lives in Kazakhstan, missed a connection and has a 12 hour layover in Amsterdam. He won't get to our airport till 3 pm- if then. I know he will be exhausted and will probably say hello and head to bed.

So I've decided to put off our holiday feast until the 26th. I think tomato soup and grilled sandwiches sound terrific for Christmas Day.
on the 26th we will have
herb roasted Chicken
cheese grits-every holiday meal
mashed potatoes and gravy
green beans and almonds
iceberg lettuce with homemade blue cheese dressing
waldorf salad
dinner rolls
hand held apple pies for dessert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:18 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Brown sugar spiral ham
Green Bean casserole
Hash brown casserole (not mashed potatoes! )
Salad
Apple and Pecan Pies
Homemade Rolls, but not made by me

Just 3 of us. Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-25-2016, 08:21 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
We're having a downsized feast than we did on Thanksgiving. Instead of turkey we're having a 7 pound roast capon. A capon is a large, fat neutered chicken( poor guy). I actually prefer that over turkey. Pa dutch potato filling, bread stuffing, cranberry relish, butternut squash, cole slaw and pepper cabbage, peas, and Cope's dried corn. Rolls and butter and of, course, gravy. I'm not a gravy person but I make an exception for the Holidays.
Dessert is a mincemeat pie. We tried Crosse and Blackwell's mince meat filling this year. No meat in it, which is how I like it. It was fantastic, it edges out Nonesuch. Mrs. Smith used to make a pie but they discontinued it. That was good, this is better.
Then after a day of leftovers we'll have pa dutch chicken pot pie. Its similar to chicken and dumplings, its not baked in a pie shell. If there's any chicken left from that, chicken corn noodle soup.
We don't do a commercial extravagant Christmas but we eat like royalty.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We're having a downsized feast than we did on Thanksgiving. Instead of turkey we're having a 7 pound roast capon. A capon is a large, fat neutered chicken( poor guy). I actually prefer that over turkey. Pa dutch potato filling, bread stuffing, cranberry relish, butternut squash, cole slaw and pepper cabbage, peas, and Cope's dried corn. Rolls and butter and of, course, gravy. I'm not a gravy person but I make an exception for the Holidays.
Dessert is a mincemeat pie. We tried Crosse and Blackwell's mince meat filling this year. No meat in it, which is how I like it. It was fantastic, it edges out Nonesuch. Mrs. Smith used to make a pie but they discontinued it. That was good, this is better.
Then after a day of leftovers we'll have pa dutch chicken pot pie. Its similar to chicken and dumplings, its not baked in a pie shell. If there's any chicken left from that, chicken corn noodle soup.
We don't do a commercial extravagant Christmas but we eat like royalty.

a capon and mincemeat....

two holiday staples of decades ago.....hanks for posting

about 32 years ago I had over 25 special orders for capons around Christmas,,,now its about 3-4

many mainers use to make their own mincemeat a 100 years ago with venison

now most of it is made with beef

there was a store nearby that was famous for mincemeat shipped it all over the world.....the owner even got invited on the david lettermen show (years ago) to talk about this mincemeat

Old 12-25-2016, 01:21 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
Ham, roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, deviled eggs, yeast rolls, wine and tea.
Individual chocolate bundt cakes with butter sauce for dessert

Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
The mayonnaise- herb covered(new recipe) turkey is in the oven!
Headed to potluck later in the day after we give the dogs a run..

Old 12-25-2016, 03:17 PM

802 posts, read 642,777 times
Prime rib and bakers. My Thermoworks digital thermometer chose Christmas Day to bite the dust, so keeping my fingers crossed that I don't ruin the roast. I want this baby out of the oven at 120°.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:32 PM

622 posts, read 396,018 times
AngID, it doesn't seem like meat thermometers ever last very long. I've gone through so many, I've lost count.

Ham is my entree of choice every Christmas, along with sweet potatoes, corn casserole, cheesy pineapple bake, green beans and a brownstone cake for dessert.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:15 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Very disappointed at my instant read thermometer. Our roast beef was a bit over cooked., but anyway, it was still ok. Another Christmas in the rear view mirror.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
I cooked a whole rib eye 7 ribs

oiled it up and seasoned and cooked uncovered 15 mins per lb at 325
in the last 40 minues checking temp with my cooking thermometer.,....
I pulled meat out at 125 -128 and let set for 25 minutes

it was awesome

the rib eye cost me over 100.00 and I'm checking the temp with a t style thermometer that cost 3 dollars years ago but it worked.. I use two of them - to cross reference .I have tried the digital ones before not a huge fan

once you pull out (roast) it will still cook another 8-12 degrees while it sets

my god that was sooooo good ....I ate most of the bones..... mmm mmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink