Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times

Advertisements

I would not eat:
Anything from a fast food restaurant- my husband daughter and I NEVER eat it.

Any meat products...combination of being foreign and having mother force me to eat tongue, liver and other unimaginables turned me into a vegetarian at a very young age. That and research about the meat industry.

Anything processed with many additives, preservatives, etc. No tv dinners, stay away from most canned foods, as well as junk foods, etc.

There is so much healthy food that is yummy out there I don't get why people eat junk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
That sounds quite delicious actually. Was it in Lincolnshire ? I really enjoy trying new stuff..
Yes it's in uphill Lincoln - well worth going to if you're ever in the area and in the right area for the cathedral etc. (Viela - make sure you book in advance for evening meals though, they sometimes get full very unpredictably.)

Quote:
And I know this is a terrible confession to make to a Brit but I don't like Fish and Chips. It always seems really greasy and the chips are always soggy. Every time my very British OH has it, I try it and almost inevitable it makes me gag...

I had nice fish and chips once in 19 years in the UK and it was in Dundee ! The fish was tasty , moist and flaky and the chips had been tripled cooked and were nice and crispy on the outside and almost mushy inside.
It's good for you not to like fish and chips!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
That sounds quite delicious actually. Was it in Lincolnshire ? I really enjoy trying new stuff.

I hate fish fingers too but unlike you adore fishy fish... Any kind of fish pretty much and seafood too.

And I know this is a terrible confession to make to a Brit but I don't like Fish and Chips. It always seems really greasy and the chips are always soggy. Every time my very British OH has it, I try it and almost inevitable it makes me gag...

I had nice fish and chips once in 19 years in the UK and it was in Dundee ! The fish was tasty , moist and flaky and the chips had been tripled cooked and were nice and crispy on the outside and almost mushy inside.
I know what you mean here. I tend to take a nice white flakey fish, roll it in egg and then in flour, if you can get rice flour thats even better and then fry it. That way there isn't so much batter and it stays nice and light. I still put some malt vinegar on it if I have it, if not then lemon. I have to have my chips (or frys) very crispy, no limp frys for me.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I know what you mean here. I tend to take a nice white flakey fish, roll it in egg and then in flour, if you can get rice flour thats even better and then fry it. That way there isn't so much batter and it stays nice and light. I still put some malt vinegar on it if I have it, if not then lemon. I have to have my chips (or frys) very crispy, no limp frys for me.
Now I'm hungry....lol.
One thing I don't like at all?
Limp, mushy and soggy fries (as the pp stated)....YUCK!
Fries just HAVE to be golden and crispy, IMHO.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I never thought about rice flour for fish. Makes sense, it's a crispy flour. I'll being doing this soon. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I never thought about rice flour for fish. Makes sense, it's a crispy flour. I'll being doing this soon. Thanks!
I got the idea from Everyday Italian, she did this on one of her recipes. When I go to Costco, I buy the talapia flllets and cook them up this way. I could eat a plate of them. I can't stand mushy fries or mushy fish.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
panko works quite nicely, too! very crsp, lots of nooks and crannies for the vinagar! Yum!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
panko works quite nicely, too! very crsp, lots of nooks and crannies for the vinagar! Yum!
I have heard of that, Giada on Everyday Italian used it the other day on one of her shows.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Guys....ahem, girls......
I highly recommend panko to anyone!
I use to use bread crumbs, until I got the recommendation from a personal chef to give it a shot and try it. (Since I like the golden and crispy, crunchy texture).
It is so much better then bread crumbs, and turns out so well every time.
needless to say....that's all I am using anymore......

Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
MB-I'm with you on panko-once you use them breadcrumbs are so-well, mundane-LOL.

I did eat chocolate covered grasshoppers once but that was in my youth after consuming a few shots of tequila-seemed like a good idea at the time.

Beets-I agree with-smell and taste like dirt
Spaghetti-O's-agree (same with any canned,phony tasting pasta)
Jarred pasta sauce-too sweet
Jellybeans
Licorice
Sushi-no raw fish for me!
Lutefisk
Lima Beans
TV dinners
blood pudding
Head cheese
Scrapple

Love escargot, mussels, steamed clams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink