Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:12 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,544,070 times

Advertisements

1. Watch the movie Julie and Julia.

2. Buy Julia Child's set of French Cooking cookbooks. It's not just recipes. She tells you what kind of pot to use, how to boil an egg....everything. It's filled with detailed instructions.

3. Buy other cookbooks, also with instructions..not just recipes.

4. Other suggestions about Youtube and Julia Child videos seem great.

5. I wouldn't pay that much for a cooking class, when you can get so much instruction for free. I think the suggestion of a cheaper source for a class sounds good. They must exist. If you insist on a class.

6. If you have a friend with an interest in cooking, you could help each other with your different areas of skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,474,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've noticed classes like that offered by restaurant chefs teaching one or two signature dishes offered by their high-end restaurants. The class usually ends with everyone sampling the dishes. It's time/money wasted if you don't already have decent cooking skills.
my thoughts as well; you don't spend $100 for a class if you do not have basic skills already. These types of classes are for those who intend on cooking gourmet style, not basic cooking.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,474,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I would stick with shows and cookbooks before taking a class as in my experience you will only learn how to make one (usually gourmet) dish instead of learning any basics.

I was never taught how to cook at home and only learned by recipes and trial and error. I second getting a vintage Better Homes cookbook as it actually describes the very basics (why you sear meat, what temperatures to cook various foods, etc). So often gourmet sites will say "cook until done" but if you've never cooked before how do you know what that looks like?
I have to slightly disagree: I would take a class if I could find a reasonable one. Without being taught basic skills all the reading and watching will not help a bit. When I think of classes, I am talking adult education classes for instance. Years ago I did work with adults teaching a basic cooking class on a budget. It was several weeks, offered through the school district. I am not sure if classes like this are still being taught. But if they are, yo have a real live person to ask questions to and hands on with that person.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,287,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Honestly, if you can get your hands on them all, go back and watch Alton Brown's "Good Eats". You won't find any better teacher and he will point you in the right direction on what you need in the kitchen without spending lots of money on trial and error. He's keeps it as simple as possible and he's entertaining at the same time.
+1

His books are very helpful for a beginner, too. He explains the why of what works & the "gear" that succeeds. I read "I'm Just Here for the Food" from beginning to end when I received it as a Christmas gift a few years ago. And I do know how to cook -- it actually helped me understand why some things I instinctively did (like clarifying butter) work. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2016, 12:36 PM

32,854 posts, read 36,179,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to slightly disagree: I would take a class if I could find a reasonable one. Without being taught basic skills all the reading and watching will not help a bit. When I think of classes, I am talking adult education classes for instance. Years ago I did work with adults teaching a basic cooking class on a budget. It was several weeks, offered through the school district. I am not sure if classes like this are still being taught. But if they are, yo have a real live person to ask questions to and hands on with that person.
I agree with you. That's why I asked if he knew anything about cooking. If you don't know the difference between chop and dice or how to properly measure flour--among other things--you can really mess things up.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,451,625 times
Experience is the best teacher.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 PM

18,934 posts, read 14,122,813 times
The "Secret" of Good Cooks
. . .
Balance the four major taste groups : salt, sweet, sour, bitter... (and umami - MSG)
Know the four major food groups : salt, grease, vinegar, sugar (2 or more in most junk food, condiments, etc)
Understand that an oven is a constant temperature means, while a stove is not a constant temperature means of cooking.
Eat your mistakes.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 PM

16,381 posts, read 30,185,596 times
You really need to watch out on some of these cooking classes. Some of them are trying to sell you something. One class that is held locally will NOT be "hands on". Rather the instructor will lecture on spices and herbs (and try to sell you some). That is great I guess, but you are not going to learn much for your $45.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,863,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Currently, I'm enjoying Martha Stewart's Cooking School on PBS. But I already know how to do most of what she's teaching. I don't know how it might seem to someone who doesn't know how to cook. There's a cookbook to accompany the series, also titled Martha Stewart's Cooking School, in which the first thing she shows you how to do is chop an onion. Maybe the two together would work for you. I can tell I'm old now, trying to read this book. The arthritis in my hands makes it hard to hold in my hands for very long (there's a Kindle version, too), and the type is way too small.
I discovered last night that the cookbook that was published in association with PBS' Martha Stewart's Cooking School series does not necessarily contain recipes for the dishes Martha makes in the series. Last night, in the "Stewing" episode, she made a beef stew with red wine. Though the cookbook contains recipes for other dishes in which chuck is braised or stewed, the exact recipe from the show is contained nowhere in the cookbook. I took a look at the reviews on amazon.com, and discovered that lots of recipes from the show are not to be found between the covers of the cookbook.

The actual recipe for last night's beef stew is available online. It is called "Beef Stew with Fresh Horseradish." The horseradish is used only as a garnish. It is not a cooked component of the stew.

Beef Stew with Fresh Horseradish Recipe | Martha Stewart

Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,037,391 times
It's all about the clicks, bout the clicks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink