Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

I think the secret is not overdoing the smoke. It can be a very strong flavor, but if done right, it is wonderful. I don't think re-heating smoked foods are nearly as good as when first smoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
I'll take a smoked chicken over an oven roasted chicken any day. I love just about all smoked meats...chicken, turkey, sausage, pork butt, ribs. I bought two of those giant smoked turkey wings a couple of weeks ago to make my very first batch of greens gumbo. The smoked wings added so much flavor. I'm hooked on greens gumbo now. I still have a quart in the freezer and already want to make some more.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
If you don't like it you don't like it. To each their own.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:20 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I live in a city famous for BBQ, but I don't love smoked poultry or fish, neither of which are headliners on the BBQ circuit, here, though turkey and chicken are usually available.It's more about brisket, ribs, pulled pork, sausage, bacon, etc., here.

One of the great jots of a WHOLE smoked salmon is that each part of the fish seems to absorb the smokiness differently. The cheeks are far smokier than the rest of the body as that flesh is fattier.

I bought a smoker for one of the cafeterias that I ran and smoked chicken and fish were among the favorites.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:51 AM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I like lightly smoked fish, ham, and bacon. Too heavy on the smoke affects the flavor of the underlying meat, IMO.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
I prefer smoked meats. The smoke flavor is similar to adding a spice/salt/pepper/etc. If used correctly it enhances the flavor, if over done it will simply take control of your palate.

Smoke as an "ingredient" is good when used properly. All about balance.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I don't care for smoked meats or cheeses. It seems to be more popular in the south than here in NY.
I am originally from the south and yep I do loved anything smoked. My husband from Holland just hates anything smoked.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I don't care for smoked meats or cheeses. It seems to be more popular in the south than here in NY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am originally from the south and yep I do loved anything smoked. My husband from Holland just hates anything smoked.
Weird since I have had some really great smoked cheddars from NY, and both smoked cheese and fish from the Netherlands.

I don't think it is regional so much as individual preference.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Can anyone elucidate on the difference between cold and hot smoked? Does it make a difference in the taste? I'm not even sure I've eaten anything cold-smoked besides salmon.

And is it my imagination, or does smoking make things taste slightly sweeter, which I find in smoked bacon, smoked beef sausage, smoked Gouda? Unless I'm just tasting the corn syrup that is listed on the sausage ingredient label...

Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Can anyone elucidate on the difference between cold and hot smoked? Does it make a difference in the taste? I'm not even sure I've eaten anything cold-smoked besides salmon.

And is it my imagination, or does smoking make things taste slightly sweeter, which I find in smoked bacon, smoked beef sausage, smoked Gouda? Unless I'm just tasting the corn syrup that is listed on the sausage ingredient label...
Cold-smoking is below 90°F and imparts the smoky flavor without cooking the meat (salmon, bacon, some sausages), while hot-smoking involves heat and smoke (usually above 200°F) and actually cooks the meat.

The sweet flavor can come from a rub, the curing process, and/or using a milder fruit wood for smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink