Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Actually, I work from home so that's not an issue, but I tried the recipe as it was written and it was delicious. Although, I imagine that your version would be even MORE delicious. So I'm cordially inviting you to my home... to make it for me. No, no, don't take that in a bad way -- we'll share it when it's ready.
I'll be in Montreal on Sunday driving up from Vermont but I have a flight to catch at Trudeau.

I'm envious of the access to real bagels and good Montreal smoked meat. The New Yorkers might object but St Viateur sesame bagels are world class. I'm in bagel purgatory.

I think you'll find that browning the beef first will add a lot of flavor. Bone-in beef will also be a lot better than London broil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'll be in Montreal on Sunday driving up from Vermont but I have a flight to catch at Trudeau.

I'm envious of the access to real bagels and good Montreal smoked meat. The New Yorkers might object but St Viateur sesame bagels are world class. I'm in bagel purgatory.

I think you'll find that browning the beef first will add a lot of flavor. Bone-in beef will also be a lot better than London broil.
Shut UP! That's hilarious!!!! That's too bad that you'll be leaving while my yummy beef concoction is crocking in the pot.

Yes, St. Viateur are the best, by far, even by Montreal (and my) standards. Even the poppy seed ones are delicious. Oh! If you like smoked salmon, grab a container of the spread. It's frozen or at least refrigerated. It's by Adar but do NOT get the one with mayo in it (the peachy color). Get the bright red one in the flat container. It's delicious -- it's pure smoked salmon that you can spread on your bagel and cream cheese and I just drooled.

Where is bagel purgatory? Omaha?

Old 12-16-2016, 03:37 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
...Where is bagel purgatory? Omaha?
It's Dixie, trust me.
Every time I order a bagel with Lox and cream cheese here, I get a bagel with LOTS of cream cheese.

I hope we get a photo of your completed meal out of this thread.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's Dixie, trust me.
Every time I order a bagel with Lox and cream cheese here, I get a bagel with LOTS of cream cheese.

I hope we get a photo of your completed meal out of this thread.
Hahahaha! I remember you wrote that on a thread a long time ago. It's hilarious all over again. That's what got me used to saying "smoked salmon" instead of "lox" because you never know what kind of [fill in your own special word here] you're dealing with.

Photo? I never even thought of it. Okay. Will do!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Yes, St. Viateur are the best, by far, even by Montreal (and my) standards. Even the poppy seed ones are delicious. Oh! If you like smoked salmon, grab a container of the spread. It's frozen or at least refrigerated. It's by Adar but do NOT get the one with mayo in it (the peachy color). Get the bright red one in the flat container. It's delicious -- it's pure smoked salmon that you can spread on your bagel and cream cheese and I just drooled.
I'm flying to Vancouver, where real smoked salmon comes from. Siegel's Bagels in Vancouver is Montreal-trained so I can assemble the ultimate bagel with lox & cream cheese.

Quote:
Where is bagel purgatory? Omaha?
Bagel purgatory is pretty much anywhere that's not NYC or Montreal. All of New England is bagel purgatory. The bagels are awful.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm flying to Vancouver, where real smoked salmon comes from. Siegel's Bagels in Vancouver is Montreal-trained so I can assemble the ultimate bagel with lox & cream cheese.
I'm coming with you!!! It's my favorite city in Canada and I even have family there. What time do we leave?

(I know. Your wife is shooting daggers at your screen now. I'm sorry. I'll stop.)

Quote:
Bagel purgatory is pretty much anywhere that's not NYC or Montreal. All of New England is bagel purgatory. The bagels are awful.
I lived in Connecticut (West Hartford) for a long time. I finally found a decent place -- Lox, Stock and Bagels -- but it still wasn't good enough for this Montreal gal. Then I moved to Massachusetts (Worcester, which produced only ONE good thing: Denis Leary) and I never did find even a halfway decent bagel there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink