Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:01 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times

Advertisements

I remember when the produce section of grocery stores always had a big pile of mixed nuts that you bought by the pound in the fall. My mom got enough to last the year, and we had to crack them to eat and to put in cookies etc. This was in the 50s, but I remember buying them like that up thru the 70s, maybe longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
When I was young, my mother put nuts out in a bowl along with a nut cracker. It was a Christmas treat and they were gone in no time with 4 kids around. Once I moved out and was married, we never put nuts (that you have to crack) out in our own house.

A few years ago, we were at my husband's cousin's place and she set these SPICED, CANDIED PECANS out. OMG, I was hooked and couldn't stop reaching for them. Of course I had to ask for the recipe

Spiced, Candied Pecans

1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
3 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a bowl beat the egg white with the water. Stir in the pecans mixing until all are moistened.
3. In a bowl mix together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix with the nuts to fully coat them. Spread on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Be careful not to overcook.

P.S. We only did ours for about 21 minutes and they were fine.

Once, at a theater after-party, several people brought snacks and one of them was a bowl of these wonderful spiced nuts. I wasn't interested, being more into the Gin and Tonic offered. Someone insisted I had to try these nuts so I took one, expecting to end it there. WOW! I found the person who brought them and made her give me the recipe on the spot. I still have it written on the back of a paper plate! No cloves for me but the rest is the same except I'd be a bit cautious about the 30 min. at 350. They can burn before you know it so keeping a close watch and turning often is important. You won't be sorry if you try these.

If you give cookie trays as gifts to friends/neighbors, try scattering a few among the cookies. Rave reviews!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Yes. We buy them and roast them a little bit. Put them on the table right after we clear the main meal and always with citrus and grapes. Kind of a respite before the dessert bacchanal!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
^^^

Lulu is a DOG. That is what dogs do ... and they don't run a vacuum.
Thank you.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Cashews- I rarely buy them except for the period of T-day to Xmas, they are my favorite...unfortunately, I just discovered that I am suddenly no longer able to eat them, they give me a 'roid flare like nothing else has ever done. At first I wasn't sure of the cause, so I stopped all of the nuts (peanuts and pistachios were also available). After the flare stopped, I tested, starting with the cashews- bingo. Down to peanuts and pistachios now. :cry:

Old 12-19-2016, 02:20 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
When I was young, my mother put nuts out in a bowl along with a nut cracker. It was a Christmas treat and they were gone in no time with 4 kids around. Once I moved out and was married, we never put nuts (that you have to crack) out in our own house.

A few years ago, we were at my husband's cousin's place and she set these SPICED, CANDIED PECANS out. OMG, I was hooked and couldn't stop reaching for them. Of course I had to ask for the recipe

Spiced, Candied Pecans

1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
3 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a bowl beat the egg white with the water. Stir in the pecans mixing until all are moistened.
3. In a bowl mix together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix with the nuts to fully coat them. Spread on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Be careful not to overcook.

P.S. We only did ours for about 21 minutes and they were fine.
Mom always had a bowl of mixed nuts on the coffee table. Yes, there were nut crackers and picks in the bowl. They were always in the glass bowl shaped like half a pumpkin. That bowl appeared in October and got put away in January.

I love those candied pecans! I have a bag of pecans and I now know what I'm going to do with them. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I use to love the nuts at my grandmothers house and did crack them,,,
I don't buy them,,,cause id eat the whole bag

I do buy small bags of cashews thru the week,,,and also found these toffee nuts at the dollar store ,,they are awesome,,,i cleaned the shelf out for stocking stuffers

Old 12-19-2016, 05:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I bowl with nuts every Thursday night.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink