Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So, scientifically, why WOULD organic be more flavorful? What is the definition of organic?

I thought organic meant no pesticides and herbicides...which I don't know how would directly impact flavor...

I think lack of flavor has to do with use of modern hybrids developed to be more easily and cheaply transported - and not bred for flavor.

So the heirloom varieties have the flavors modern varieties do not....but organics don't have to be heirlooms, right?

Only if there is a correlation in that heirloom varieties somehow thrive without the use of herbicides and pesticides does it make sense that organic would taste better.

Now - can someone knowledgeable please confirm or disconfirm?

BTW, humans being human - there is a great deal of bias possible in wanting to believe that after spending a lot of money on organics that they are better in many, many ways - including taste and nutrition, and not just fewer chemicals - I'm not ruling that out as an explanation unless proven otherwise.

Good questions that show critical thinking skills on your part. I like that. You are correct about the variety having the greatest effect. Another major consideration, which I mentioned in a previous reply, is the use of hydroponics in conventional culture.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:00 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No, only in the chemistry definition.

"Organic" as it pertains to farming is something different.

There are two languages being used here, with the same word.
All of life is chemistry.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good to know. I usually forgo organic because of the cost, but I over heard someone saying once you taste an organic banana, you won't go back. I haven tested it yet. I'm willing to pay a bit more if there is really a difference in quality.
I have tried produce both ways: as long as what I get is fresh I can not tell the difference. I had a red bell about a week ago, not organic and it was tasty and sweet. I don't have a clue where is was produced.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Do a comparison between cage free, organic eggs and regular 99 cents-a-dozen eggs.

Crack one of each and put them side by side.

The organic egg will have a firmer yolk that is deeper yellow. The regular egg will look pale by comparison.

Then cook each of them by your preferred method: sunny side up, poached, basted, whatever you prefer.

Taste the difference in flavor and you will see that they are worth the price.
interesting what you are saying about the yolk: I have always heard, this is from family members who were raised on farms and ranches, the color of the yolk is determined by what the chicken is fed. I do not know how much truth there is to this? As for worth the price; we do buy both, free range and regular cheap eggs: the free range are much better, but not worth $2 a dozen more. I guess if your budget allows for buying food 3 times more than other food you are lucky. Our budget has to be watched so we splurge on some things and go bottom of the line on other things.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I love red bell peppers. Been buying organic for quite a while. For some reason I bought regular ones the other day and just ate one.

Completely bland, and just nothingness. I won't be doing that again.

Yes I realize this is not a scientific experiment but having regular ones again I now remember really getting hooked on these when I started buying organic. I generally buy organic because of what's not in it. Better taste is just a bonus.
Yet, people today prefer factory grown chicken injected with boosters over naturally raised no antibiotic injected chickens. Why?

Naturally raised chicken is fattier, more flavorful, and yet the texture is softer compared to today's bland rubbery chicken.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
'Organic' means: contains carbon.

Therefore, all plastic is organic.

You are wrong.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/organic

Last edited by rainroosty; 12-23-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 01:26 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
...the color of the yolk is determined by what the chicken is fed...
Yep, feed those chickens some gorgeous marigold petals and see what happens. There's a vendor in the local farmers market who quickly sells-out of eggs because of their deep orange yolks. Guess what that vendor feeds those chickies?

Old 12-23-2016, 02:22 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep, feed those chickens some gorgeous marigold petals and see what happens. There's a vendor in the local farmers market who quickly sells-out of eggs because of their deep orange yolks. Guess what that vendor feeds those chickies?
Some greens, certain grains, and marigold petals produce a beautiful, deeply colored, orange yolk. I'll take take a fresh egg over anything else.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
The good organic eggs also have a harder shell which is a sign of a healthier, more appropriate diet for the chicken.

Yes, there are differences in organic products from brand to brand, just like everything else.

And organic also means the product is non-GMO by labeling.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The good organic eggs also have a harder shell which is a sign of a healthier, more appropriate diet for the chicken.

Yes, there are differences in organic products from brand to brand, just like everything else.

And organic also means the product is non-GMO by labeling.
No. Two different things. Just ask the organic farmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink